Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2004 6:50:21 AM EDT
Ok these questions popped into my head as I was cleaning the basement and tripped over the boy's Bradly IFV for his action figures-(Sarg where are you?)

How good, I mean really, how good is the Bradly? Has it lived up to it's mission? Or would we have been better served with upgrading the M113 like the IDF and other have?

How's it faring in the urban warfare in Iraq?

Is the Stryker trying to replace it? I wouldn't think so, both have different missions, but hey you never know with the brass...

Treadheads with armor experience please...I really want to here from those that have been, are around them or used them...
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:38:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I think that the Bradley has done a great job.
In the beginning, they were screaming, "But it can't survive a hit from a tank's cannon...." Well, no
shit, Dick Tracy! It wasn't meant to!

I loved the Bradley. We had the A1 version during DS, but the newer A2 or A3 models, with better
sights and rangefinders are now in use.

It's a battlefield taxi, more or less, that can get the crunchies from A to B with some armored
protection, and has the firepower capability to raise some hell going to and from. The 25mm is
capable of some amazing accuracy, once you get a good boresite, as I'm sure others here can
attest to. With the new ammo, it was tearing shit up during OIF, plus it has the TOW to hit tanks
and bunkers at a long distance also.

Now that the Army has installed the applique armor boxes that you see in the photos, it can suck
up an RPG hit, whereas before the RPG would have given it problems.

The Stryker isn't meant as a replacement for the Bradley, but to supplement it in missions, or to
use in it's place, where the Bradley might not be able to go, or be transported fast enough.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 for what Tanker06 said

it is a improvement over the 113. However, the Bradley is now pushing 20+ years old. Sooner or later something will replace it.

I drove it for 2 years and I never had a problem in the snow/desert. I was gunner for 1 year and the 25mm did it's job well. I managed to qualify with it first time to the live fire range.

It is cramped inside, thankfully we never had a full squad and the 2 seats in the "hole" were always empty. (the seats behind the driver)

Swimming with the Bradley was an experience. 25+ tons floating with nothing but rubberized canvas holding you up makse your blood pressure jump.  I never saw any issues and nobody in my company has sank one.

I wish I could take one for a spin for old times sake. I really enjoyed driving it.  I had faith in the Bradley and would have had no fears taking it into battle. I got out of the Army just before DS1 but my friend who did go told me that the Bradley performed as expected with no major issues.

Shoot me a email if you want some 80's Bradley pictures. inside/outside views.

ETA: pic of my and my M2 in the motor pool C 1/5 Cav 1985
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top