Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 9:54:06 AM EDT
I'm about to buy an old beater Chevy truck of some sort, so I was reminded of one of my old trucks. I've posted this before, and it's in the archive. This is what I have to look forward to again. Ahhh...good times, good times.

------
Two weeks after learning to drive a stick, I bought a '68 Ford F100. Three on the tree and a clutch so tight that I SWEAR my left leg is beefier than my right one, depiste selling the truck many years ago.

I miss that damn truck. It was an old farm truck. 8 foot bed, air shocks in the rear, heavy duty springs, HUGE elephant mirrors, CB radio...it was the most redneck vehicle I had ever owned. It was teal, white, primer and rust. It had a 240 inline 6 that I rebuilt shortly after aquiring the truck. I also threw an Offy intake on it and a small 450cfm Holley 4bbl. It was a sweet little motor, given what I had to work with. I broke the shifter while racing a Chevy (ya, I lost) and I couldn't find a replacement in short order. So, I picked up a Hurst floor shifter and nixed the column shift.

That truck had so many problems, most didn't want to borrow it.

"Hey Alan, can I borrow your truck?"

"Sure. Before I give you the keys, I need to tell you about of couple of things. The carb doesn't have a choke, so you need to pump it a few times before it starts. Hold the idle around 1800 or so for a few minutes so you don't stall it. My wheel cylinders are leaking a little, and the brakes need to be bled. Pump the brakes twice real quick to build up some pressure. If you blow a wheel cylinder, hold the parking brake release with your left hand and use your left foot for braking."

"What the hell?"

"Don't worry about it. Anyway, the shift pattern is kind of strange, so listen up. Reverse is where 1st normally is, and 1st is where 2nd normally is. Everything is off by one. Are you with me?"

"Uh, sorta..."

"Good, now when you shift into second, DON'T push the shifter at an angle. Bring it straight up, then carefully over, then up. The shift linkage is made of soft aluminum and the nubs that grab the linkage are worn out. If you accidentally bind the linkage, you'll need to climb under the truck and straighten everything out. I've got a tarp in the back."

"Thats thoughtful of you..."

"I know. Ok, where was I? Oh yeah. 1st gear is really low and 2nd is too high. Don't try starting off in 2nd, or you'll burn my clutch.
You need to tach it out in 1st so that you don't bog the motor down in 2nd. Now, this tranny doesn't have any synchros, so you need to come to almost a complete stop before putting it in first, or you'll fuck my tranny. Speaking of stopping, the strut rod bushings are worn out so the truck pulls to the right when braking. Don't forget what
I told you about pumping the brakes.

"Jesus Christ..."

"He's got nothing to do with it. Anyway, when the truck pulls to the right while braking, you'll need to correct it left. The steering gear box is shot, so there's about a 1/4 turn worth of play in the wheel. I'm just letting you know in advance. Oh, about the tranny. It's stuck in overdrive, but the solenoid is burnt slap up, so it never really goes into overdrive. Still, in overdrive you'll notice that there is no engine braking. When you let your foot off the gas, the motor will drop to idle. This is normal, so don't worry about it. Speaking of idle, I had to rig up some brackets and some bicycle brake line for the throttle linkage. It works pretty good, but I haven't got all the kinks worked out yet. If the throttle sticks, just smack the gas real sharp and it'll loosen back up.

"Dude, I don't know if..."

"Hang on, one last thing. I nicked the coax for the antenna, so if you wanna listen to the CB that's fine, but don't transmit on it or you'll roach my final and I'll have to kick your ass. That said, here's the keys. Be safe."

A true gearheads truck, that was.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like my 66 GMC that I had
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:01:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Oldie but goodie.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:02:03 AM EDT
[#3]
and I thought my 71 F100 was bad
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like the first truck I ever had, a '58 Dodge, kinda wish I still had it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Oldie but goodie.

My post is already an oldie?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Kinda reminds me of the old Chevy Heavy Half me and my friends used to tear ass around the country in.

Good times, good memories. Wouldnt trade them for the world.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Sounds like something this guy would drive

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

www.redgreen.com/files/layout/red_green1.jpg

RIGHT ON!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

RIGHT ON!!!!!!!

+1. Red green is my hero and a fine roll model.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:10:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

RIGHT ON!!!!!!!

+1. Red green is my hero and a fine roll model.

"Keep your stick on the ice!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top