Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2010 4:13:15 PM EDT
I've heard of people cutting into civil war bullets alot. What are some strange or cool things you've found in a tree?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#1]
This could be a thread relative to my interests.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing? No bicycle that some kid left parked against a tree 50 years ago. Not even barbed wire?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe the loggers are all working night shift.  Give 'em time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This could be a thread relative to my interests.

Maybe even relevant.

I have found bullets and fence wire, that's about it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Back home in Oregon they find find steel spikes all the time. The earth first fucks put them there hoping that the spike will cause the chainsaw chain to snap and kill or maim the logger.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Here in PA, around Gettysburg, they find Civil War bullets a lot. IIRC they found a gun in one a number of years back? Not sure if that was myth or fact.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm no logger, but in the tree outside my dorm there is a bike tire, an umbrella, a brick, and about 20 pairs of girls panties.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Horse shoe.

Barbed wire.

Old nails.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:40:51 PM EDT
[#9]
1 was a flywheel from a truck compleatly imbeded in to the tree didn't know it was there
2 a pair of hand cuffs
3 was an old pistol that must have been hiddein in an old knot hole before the tree grew around it it was about 15 feet up so rusted couldn't make out what type it was other than a revover
4 bullets and slugs
5 chain link fence
6 more barb wire than i can remeber
7 old eye bolts
8 was an almost, but the bos woldn't let me cut the tree untill the tree huger was removed buy the local sherif.
9 rocks and stones
10 was an ax head i stoped and let some else finnish that one. i figured if this tree suvived an old tim lumberjack i wasn't going to let it get me. glad i did the tree bucked the wrong way and broke thrre ribs of the guy who took over.

all i can think of for now

tree buisnies for 15 years
screw the speeling im tirerd
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Back home in Oregon they find find steel spikes all the time. The earth first fucks put them there hoping that the spike will cause the chainsaw chain to snap and kill or maim the logger.

I understand that some loggers check every tree with a metal detector before sawing it,  thanks to that sort of shit.

If loggers were to encounter the miscreants who are placing the spikes, and those miscreants failed to ever be seen again,

I for one would not even bother to investigate and attribute the disappearances to bears or other natural causes.

CJ

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm no logger, but in the tree outside my dorm there is a bike tire, an umbrella, a brick, and about 20 pairs of girls panties.

lol. I don't think that is what he was talking about.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Here in PA, around Gettysburg, they find Civil War bullets a lot. IIRC they found a gun in one a number of years back? Not sure if that was myth or fact.

That was at Balls Bluff Battlefield just North of Leesburg, Virginia.  it was a Colt .36 caliber revolver that had somehow gotten jammed in the fork of a tree.  Thankfully, they didn't cut into that tree, it was found by a tourist who saw something brassy like in the bark.  I believe that revolver is now residing in the civil war musuem in Leesburg.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ah......the so-called "peace -loving" tree-hugger. Fuck them.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Inside of a tree. Not hanging in a tree. lol
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha I know it.  On a more serious note, I've found I bolts and barbed wire in numerous trees.  It's always fun tearing down and old fence that's stuck in a tree every few yards.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
1 was a flywheel from a truck compleatly imbeded in to the tree didn't know it was there
2 a pair of hand cuffs
3 was an old pistol that must have been hiddein in an old knot hole before the tree grew around it it was about 15 feet up so rusted couldn't make out what type it was other than a revover
4 bullets and slugs
5 chain link fence
7 old eye bolts
8 was an almost, but the bos woldn't let me cut the tree untill the tree huger was removed buy the local sherif.
9 rocks and stones
10 was an ax head i stoped and let some else finnish that one. i figured if this tree suvived an old tim lumberjack i wasn't going to let it get me. glad i did the tree bucked the wrong way and broke thrre ribs of the guy who took over.

Probably some cool stories if the trees could talk.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#18]
We cut this tree down in my back yard.. Found barb wire right in the middle.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:54:44 PM EDT
[#19]
A friend-of-a-friend's (I heard the story from the guy himself) dog was let loose to run in the woods around his house one day and came back several hours later dragging a rather rough-looking Remington 1100 or 11-87 (been a few years) 12ga. He called the cops, they said if no one claimed it in 30 days it was his. When I heard the story it was 5 years afterwards and the shotgun was still sitting by his front door for raccoons and skunks with just a little clean up, I could see his dog's teeth marks in the stock.

His best guess was someone leaned it up against a tree while hunting, stepped away and never found the right tree again. I neglected to ask if it was loaded when the dog first showed up with it.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I have actually seen a live 'tree hugger' about 50' up. They were on BLM land so I couldn't help 'em down with a power saw but them fuks do put RR spikes in trees.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#21]

That looks very much like the tree right outside my dorm.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

2 a pair of hand cuffs

4 bullets and slugs

5 chain link fence

7 old eye bolts

9 rocks and stones

Probably some cool stories if the trees could talk.

I used to work at a lumber mill and the rip saw "found" one of those.  Fucked shit up good.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Hey I think I remember that tree!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Found some sort of cast farm equipment gear grown into a tree...and the usual barbwire, plus a few unidentified hunks of metal and rocks...all grown into the trees
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#25]

I made the base of my workbench from a walnut tree salvaged from a battlefield near New Market Gap in  Virginia.

It had lead balls embedded in it near the sapwood.  By calculating growth rings, it was during the Civil War.

purty kewl i thought.

I made the legs as to highlight the lead too.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:13:30 PM EDT
[#26]
A coax cable 3 way splitter with coax leading out of the tree.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I take it you live on Northside?  Perhaps in Walton or Crocker?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I take it you live on Northside?  Perhaps in Walton or Crocker?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:17:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I've found just about all of the above, at one time or another. Lots of bullets, nails, barbed wire, and old farm equipment. Nothing worse than buying a new set of teeth for the buncher and hitting something buried in the tree. A set of teeth run about $1000. If you hit the wrong thing, you will be buying another set.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:22:24 PM EDT
[#31]
I was given a huge walnut log that a guy had cut down. I hauled it to a WoodMizer guy to have it sawn into boards. He stopped with about a 1/4 of the log to go. He hit a 1920s era ceramic insulator in the center. We figured somebody had strung lights or power on the trees for some reason along about 80 years ago...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:24:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Perhaps thirty years ago, my Dad, my brother and myself were cutting firewood on our farm woodlot. We had felled a standing dead 15-inch thick black cherry tree, maybe 60 feet tall or so. Dad was bucking it into cordwood lengths, with the chainsaw, while my brother and I split and loaded it into a trailer.
Suddenly he shut down the saw halfway through the cut and stood there looking around. There was blood EVERYWHERE. I ran over to him thinking he had cut an artery, and I was sure he was going to die right there and then.
But he wasn't hurt. We looked closer and saw gray hair in the saw chain and in the last kerf he had cut. We split the half-cut piece off the main trunk and a raccoon ran out and climbed up another tree and ducked into a hole. There was another (dead) one in the hollow trunk, sawed almost in half. The tree was hollow from the top down about halfway, and they had jammed themselves into the very bottom of it as we cut toward them. They could have just run out the open end but must have been confused. If I recall correctly, we had started from the solid end and didn't realize it was hollow until then.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Used to work as a land surveyor....found an old fixed blade broad head in a tree once...out in the middle of no where.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#34]
After a heavier than normal spring melt/flood some logs that had been buried in the muck/sand of some Mississippi River backwaters popped up.  My dad & brother ended up sawing some of these on their mill and saved sections of the log "marks" used to identifiy them.  IIRC the local historical society placed them back to the late 1800's.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand that some loggers check every tree with a metal detector before sawing it,  thanks to that sort of shit.

If loggers were to encounter the miscreants who are placing the spikes, and those miscreants failed to ever be seen again,
I for one would not even bother to investigate and attribute the disappearances to bears or other natural causes.

CJ

Word is they switched to ceramic pins to avoid the metal detectors.

Know thy enemy
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

That looks very much like the tree right outside my dorm.
and...............which dorm would that be?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:41:53 PM EDT
[#37]
We had a wall of "Telco Oddities" at my former work garage. On it was a chunk of 300 pair cable with a tree branch growing around it. Completely encircled.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:44:27 PM EDT
[#38]
How about a car?

Abandoned farm I ran across during a pheasant hunt in central Kansas last year. Found lot's of old farm equipment laying around. This car looked like an early 30's model of some type.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Growing up on farms, the barbed wire thing is something you see often.  One of the neater things I saw was an old Fordson tractor with a tree that had grown up and through it, to the point of being embedded in its frame.

ETA, It looked about like the car above.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#40]
I have hit steel cable, nails, reed bar,and iron of some sorts.  Not fun having to hand file a chain after you hit steel.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Cool pics.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#42]
i owned a sawmill and logging business for 20 years,i probably have forgotten most of the
tramp metal we hit but off the top of my head,

horseshoe

axe head

countless nails,fence wire and bullets

the worst are the old ceramic insulators and screw in tree stand steps

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah......the so-called "peace -loving" tree-hugger. Fuck them.

we have them cocksuckers here in IN. also,they were active in the yellow wood st forest

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CJ

Word is they switched to ceramic pins to avoid the metal detectors.

http://camas.ca/files/images/Foreman%20-%20Ecodefense.jpg

Know thy enemy

read and know thy enemy

http://theanarchistlibrary.org/HTML/Various_Authors__Ecodefense__A_Field_Guide_to_Monkeywrenching.html

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm not a logger, but I know one that used to live in oregon and he found a octagon barrel that was 200' in the air. He said his chainsaw didn't like hitting it very well. It would be kinda interesting to hear the story of that gun.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Got a rake head growing into the tree over in my stepsisters yard.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Does spiking trees do terrible things to the equipment, or is it mostly urban legend?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#48]
My PSG once saw a M60 that was stuck in a tree.  I guess it burned in on a jump and was never found.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
A friend-of-a-friend's (I heard the story from the guy himself) dog was let loose to run in the woods around his house one day and came back several hours later dragging a rather rough-looking Remington 1100 or 11-87 (been a few years) 12ga. He called the cops, they said if no one claimed it in 30 days it was his. When I heard the story it was 5 years afterwards and the shotgun was still sitting by his front door for raccoons and skunks with just a little clean up, I could see his dog's teeth marks in the stock.

His best guess was someone leaned it up against a tree while hunting, stepped away and never found the right tree again. I neglected to ask if it was loaded when the dog first showed up with it.

Kharn

Shit, that's a dog you want around if the cops show up!  Its got its own shotgun!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:50:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Does spiking trees do terrible things to the equipment, or is it mostly urban legend?

Yes, and with lethal possibilities for hand fellers. For mechanical feller/bunchers it's usually just expensive.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top