Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 11/3/2009 5:04:54 AM EST
Lots of people around here just seem to love Newt. Explain to me, if you would please, how you can support someone who openly supported the most liberal candidate in the race for the New York 23rd congressional district, over a conservative. I really wanna know.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:07:07 AM EST
while i agree with you, im gonna play devil's advocate and say that he did not know the specifics and as a true republican was simply backing the party.

dunno any other reason other than that he turned on us (which i dont believe).

that said, ignorance is no defense and perhaps this just demonstrates another problem with the republican party
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:09:12 AM EST
I'd love to see him go away.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:09:56 AM EST
i dont think i could overlook stupidity any more than i could him knowingly endorsing a liberal.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:10:25 AM EST
Originally Posted By CELTICWARRIOR67:
while i agree with you, im gonna play devil's advocate and say that he did not know the specifics and as a true republican was simply backing the party.

dunno any other reason other than that he turned on us (which i dont believe).

that said, ignorance is no defense and perhaps this just demonstrates another problem with the republican party

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:10:33 AM EST
Originally Posted By yaardbyrd:
I'd love to see him go away.

me too.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:13:05 AM EST
he was triangulating, I'd of thought he'd have more sense than to make this mistake. Seems he needs to re-evaluate his run in 2012 and stay in the background/sidelines.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:15:34 AM EST
I don't know. He's one Bi-Polar guy when it comes to this stuff. Sometimes I think he may be the intellectual center of conservatism and other times it's like he's brain damaged.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:17:12 AM EST
I'm so glad I could inspire another thread..
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:34:26 AM EST
Originally Posted By 2theLeft:

you didnt, dont let your head get to big.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:35:43 AM EST
Newt's been calling for months now. Not sure when he'll catch on that we're not "that kind" of Republican.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:36:44 AM EST
Originally Posted By Dan_Gray:

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:37:40 AM EST
Stuff Newt the Coot.....RINO......he's all for the big tent kiss everyone's ass republican philosophy that got us here. McCain=Newt
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:37:47 AM EST
Newt is a Republican first and foremost. He is about party/power/principles...in that exact order...well, maybe you could change the first two...but either way, principles are not a top priority.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:44:41 AM EST
Fuck Gingrich
Fuck Obama
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:45:55 AM EST
I'm not really sure but I think he was backing her before this other threw his hat in the ring. I didn't hear much about his feelings after that. I'm not defending him I just don't know. I was one of his supporters until they screwed up their chances when they took over in the 90's. After that it seems like they became washington insiders and became part of the problem.

Personally I think he is positioning himself for a presidential bid in the 2012 and wants to appear nicely to the moderate repubs and the blue dog demoCrits. I believe I would vote for him over mccain but that's not saying much. I would certainly vote for him over mobomba, anything would be better than that POS.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:46:57 AM EST

While it may not be as worthwhile, just know that you inspire me
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:46:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 5:56:36 AM EST by Boru]
He gives his reasons for the endorsement here. Sounds like he thought not going with Dede had more potential of making things worse. The common "voting third party only ensures the dem win" fear. It was a spit in the eye that Dede threw her support behind the dem candidate after stepping down.... but not too terribly surprising.

Here he is after she dropped out, and endorsing Hoffman. I personally think Palin had it right all along on principle. But who doesn`t want to see Newt debating Obama? I`d pay money to see that massacre.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:54:32 AM EST
Came here expecting something different...

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:03:54 AM EST
Originally Posted By Scott_In_OKC:

http://www.reconnections.net/ripley_newt.jpg

Me too, mostly.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:11:57 AM EST
I truly cannot figure the guy out. When he is in academic/lecture mode, he is pretty good - he makes very cogent points, brings up things many folks miss, and is otherwise generally an intelligent conservative. On the other hand, he has this almost McCain-like urge in him to 'reach out' to the left, and while he talks conservative when speaking theory, he is just as likely to compromise a conservative principle as he is to support it in actual political life. Bipolar maybe? Hard to say, but he's pretty much gotten to the point where I think he needs to stay in the classroom and stay out of political commentary.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:13:17 AM EST
People make mistakes. I don't know Newt's reasoning for endorsing such a blatant RINO, but let's not forget that he has been articulating conservative principles for many years now. He's certainly had some moments along the way, but I'm not going to call him a RINO because he made a bad endorsement.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:16:27 AM EST
He is a lifetime Politician who like all the other lifetime politicians has negotiated away all of his core beliefs.

Palin 2012
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:23:30 AM EST
Newt left his principles behind long ago. He's all about making money wrting things he tacitly believes now. He' s lost me forever.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:32:44 AM EST
Originally Posted By macpherson:
People make mistakes. I don't know Newt's reasoning for endorsing such a blatant RINO, but let's not forget that he has been articulating conservative principles for many years now. He's certainly had some moments along the way, but I'm not going to call him a RINO because he made a bad endorsement.

What it comes down to is elevation of the quest for power above principle.

He wants the majority to be "R" because elevation of the Republican party elevates him by extension.

He does not care if an "R" majority can't actually get things done because of RINOS, he doesn't care if half the people filling those "R" seats are more liberal than hillary on the one hand, or more rigidly religious and extreme as the Muslims on the other. He just cares about getting that majority.

I can only conclude that he, and others like him who make the attainment of the majority status itself the "win" here, without regard to any policy outcomes, are motivatec by something else. Something that comes with having the majority and yet does not require passage of legislative victories.

Yes, earmarks. I would suspect that if we took Newt's investment portfolio and those of a dozen other "big tent" style guys, you would find a lot of investments that have benefited mightily from the earmarking process. Its not Newt's fault, and I would be dollar to donuts that he did everything above board and that he's legal in every way. But my opinion is that things like this motivate people.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:36:11 AM EST

hopefully he will too.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:50:34 AM EST

Lots of people around here just seem to love Newt. Explain to me, if you would please, how you can support someone who openly supported the most liberal candidate in the race for the New York 23rd congressional district, over a conservative. I really wanna know.

He's definitely not dumb, but he sure acts that way.

Global warming, and now this.

He should back away from the table, and just write history books.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:52:28 AM EST
He can kiss his 2012 chances bye. Good riddance.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:23:51 AM EST
Newt was playing chess in a checker's game.
He was trying to be just a little too clever for the situation.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:27:53 AM EST
Well, I'll admit I *liked* him, but no more. Final straw for me with him. I'm back to square one trying to figure out who I like best.

I'll find someone else to back with my money.

HH
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:30:38 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 7:37:38 AM EST by Dr_Dickie]
I never have been a big fan.
Oh I liked the contract with America and all that; but they more he talked after he was booted out, the more I realized he was just a republican, more concerned with the party than with the country.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:32:32 AM EST

A whole lot of us started not supporting him much when he sat with Nancy Pelosi on that stupid global warming comercial.

This last fiasco pretty much sealed the deal. As far as I'm concerned, he has some brilliant ideas and is a great communicator, but has zero chance of getting my vote.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:36:05 AM EST
All you need to know:

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:48:19 AM EST
Originally Posted By macpherson:

How about for him jumping on the 'Global Warming" bandwagon?

You can always count on Newt to fold when the going gets tough.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:49:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 7:49:55 AM EST by sandblaster]
The great thing about New York 23 is that it has shined the light on those liberal rats that are hiding in the Reoublican Party..smokin out the CC moderates, it is time the conservative movement has a voice in the affairs of the party...good bye Newt and good riddance.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:50:04 AM EST
I don't know the details of the race altogether but I do know that Bloomberg is one of the most anti-gun mayors in history. That does not make him a conservative. Fuck him. I would be glad to see him go, elitist millionaire prick has his own security staff...
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:52:49 AM EST
Originally Posted By Scott_In_OKC:

http://www.reconnections.net/ripley_newt.jpg

Me too.

Top Top