Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 10/12/2002 3:20:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/12/2002 3:22:05 PM EDT by The_Macallan]
[url=http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/10/11/killer.mistakes.ap/index.html]Killers often undone by their own mistakes[/url] A parking ticket tripped up the Son of Sam, the Long Island sniper was found because of a burglary, and Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh drove too fast on his way out of town. In mass-murder history, it's often the killers' own mistakes that are their undoing. Washington-area police are hoping the same kind of break will lead them to whoever is responsible for a rash of sniper shootings that has killed seven people and injured two since October 2. Take David Berkowitz, the self-described Son of Sam who terrorized New York City for more than a year in the mid-1970s, killing six people and wounding seven with a .44-caliber revolver. His mistake was parking illegally -- and getting a $25 ticket that led to his arrest. Mike Rustigan, a San Francisco State University criminologist, said serial killers eventually make mistakes because they start to feel invincible the longer they get away with their crimes. "They really come to believe they're not going to get caught so they get overconfident," he said. "Then they'll make a mistake. It's kind of like pride goeth before the fall." An example, Rustigan says, is Unabomber Ted Kaczynski, who went uncaptured during a series of mail-bomb attacks that killed three people and injured 23 between 1978 and 1995. Unabomber Ted Kaczynski was captured after his manifesto was published by The New York Times and the Washington Post. "The Unabomber would have been bombing into old age but his big mistake was in demanding that his manifesto be published" by The New York Times and The Washington Post, Rustigan said. Police zeroed in after his brother, David, saw the 35,000-word treatise, suspected it was the work of his sibling and notified authorities. Kaczynski is serving a life sentence in federal prison in Colorado. Driving too fast, without a license or in a stolen car has led to other high-profile captures. After the bombing of the Murrah federal building in Oklahoma City, McVeigh was pulled over on an interstate highway north of the city for speeding in his yellow Mercury and driving without a license plate. Weapons charges, for the pistol strapped to his shoulder in a holster, were added later. His connection to the bombing wasn't discovered until hours later when he was matched to a police sketch of "John Doe No. 1," the suspected bomber. McVeigh was executed last year. The stolen car that serial killer Ted Bundy was driving led to his arrest. He confessed to more than 30 murders, including that of a 12-year-old girl, and was executed in Florida in 1989. Mohammed A. Salameh's mistake was trying to get back his deposit for the rental truck that was loaded with explosives and destroyed in the 1993 bombing at New York's World Trade Center. Salameh was arrested after he returned to the Ryder dealership in Jersey City, New Jersey, with police documents showing he had reported the vehicle stolen. Investigators had found vehicle fragments with an identification number matching the one on the van, and Salameh's involvement was confirmed after his rental papers tested positive for chemical nitrates, which is common to many explosives. Asked why Salameh would have rented a truck in his own name, reported it stolen to police and the dealership and return twice seeking a refund of his $400 deposit, a senior law enforcement official at the time said: "Who knows? Just because he's a terrorist doesn't mean he's a brain surgeon." In other cases: -- Peter Sylvester, the Long Island sniper who shot and killed a man inside a diner and later wounded a woman inside a Burger King in 1994, ultimately was caught after police linked him to a burglary at a taxidermist's shop, where three guns had been stolen. One of the weapons, a .35-caliber rifle, turned out to be the murder weapon, which police found at Sylvester's mother's home. -- In a previous sniper case in the District of Columbia, police capped the investigation of an eight-week series of random shootings that killed four people after the suspect, James E. Swann, was caught running red lights. An off-duty police officer chased him into a parking lot, where he was arrested minutes after his final slaying.
View Quote
Okay now Mr. Sniper, CNN has provided you with some great tips on how to NOT get caught... * don't get overconfident * don't park illegally * don't trust relatives * don't run red lights * don't use stolen weapons * don't use your sniper rifle for any other crimes * don't use stolen cars * don't use rental cars and try to get your deposit back * make sure your getaway vehicle has a license plate and the lights all work Got all that Mr. Sniper? Okay now, CNN just wants you to be careful out there and don't make any mistakes.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 3:25:31 PM EDT
Dear Mr. Sniper, CNN is on record saying they are CONFIDENT you cannot get any of their executives. In fact, they double dog dared you to even try and shoot one of them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 3:28:18 PM EDT
P.S.: They're DOUBLY confident you can't get one of their on-air personalities during a live broadcast.... Just kidding. (Not.)
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 3:46:29 PM EDT
I saw Katie Couric (just channel surfing) with some idiot college professor a couple of days ago essentially also advising the shooter on how not to get caught. Very cynical thing to say, but I’m actually starting to wonder if some of the news types don’t care if this guy is caught. Let’s face it, they’re the big winners in this tragedy - and the longer it goes on, the better for them!
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 4:07:11 PM EDT
199- Unfortunately, you are correct. The media loves stuff like this, because they know Americans are glued to their TV sets wondering what is going to happen next. They can spew all the trash about guns and gunowners they want and people will eat it up, mostly out of fear and ignorance. If the sniper is caught, they will do endless stories about who he is and how he came to be a murderer, as well as (perhaps especially) what weapons he used. The worst thing that could happen for the media is for this guy to just disappear and not commit any more murders. The public would lose interest and their cash cow would go away. The media folks are NOT interested in objectively reporting the news. They are interested in 1. making money and 2. advancing their own agendas. That's it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 4:11:02 PM EDT
look for a "movie of the week" about this @sshole soon...... [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 4:29:41 PM EDT
I think the one lesson he WOULD learn is to NOT drive a white van. Thanks CNN...
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 5:10:55 PM EDT
CNN is not helping this guy not get caught by telling him this stuff. It is all common sense. Besides these kind of killers get SO confident that no amount of warning them is gonna stop them from eventually fucking up anyway.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 5:16:53 PM EDT
This is going to sound horrible but its the truth. News people love this type of event's. they live for it. CNN will be dissapointed when he gets caught, I hope he gets killed though. So we won't have to deal with the trial. Hey Mr Sniper I dare you to come to 320 Oak Road, Pittsburgh PA and try anything with me. Actually I'm going to call him out. If you read this Mr sniper come to my house and try to snipe me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 5:32:36 PM EDT
CNN is a freakin' joke. the sniper might be using a semi automatic assualt weapon like the colt AR-15. oh my god! not an evil assault weapon!!!! yikes!!!! anyway, here's what CNN is saying "assualt weapons are illegal to own guns in general are bad only a madman would own a weapon that could do something like this assualt weapons were banned in 1994 please mr. sniper have mercy upon us anyone that is into shooting guns should be suspect blah, blah, blah. like i said, CNN AND THE MEDIA is a joke. bunch of anti gun ba$tards. colt
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 6:04:50 PM EDT
I'm just waiting for the guy to take a shot at a reporter during a live broadcast. That Ashleigh Bannerfield sits in the same spot, every night. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he took a shot at one of the talking heads. Preferably Geraldo. I mean, if it [i]has[/i] to be someone.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 7:03:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 7:21:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By The_Macallan: [url=http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/10/11/killer.mistakes.ap/index.html]Killers often undone by their own mistakes[/url] A parking ticket tripped up the Son of Sam, the Long Island sniper was found because of a burglary, and Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh drove too fast on his way out of town. In mass-murder history, it's often the killers' own mistakes that are their undoing. Washington-area police are hoping the same kind of break will lead them to whoever is responsible for a rash of sniper shootings that has killed seven people and injured two since October 2. Take David Berkowitz, the self-described Son of Sam who terrorized New York City for more than a year in the mid-1970s, killing six people and wounding seven with a .44-caliber revolver. His mistake was parking illegally -- and getting a $25 ticket that led to his arrest. Mike Rustigan, a San Francisco State University criminologist, said serial killers eventually make mistakes because they start to feel invincible the longer they get away with their crimes. "They really come to believe they're not going to get caught so they get overconfident," he said. "Then they'll make a mistake. It's kind of like pride goeth before the fall." An example, Rustigan says, is Unabomber Ted Kaczynski, who went uncaptured during a series of mail-bomb attacks that killed three people and injured 23 between 1978 and 1995. Unabomber Ted Kaczynski was captured after his manifesto was published by The New York Times and the Washington Post. "The Unabomber would have been bombing into old age but his big mistake was in demanding that his manifesto be published" by The New York Times and The Washington Post, Rustigan said. Police zeroed in after his brother, David, saw the 35,000-word treatise, suspected it was the work of his sibling and notified authorities. Kaczynski is serving a life sentence in federal prison in Colorado. Driving too fast, without a license or in a stolen car has led to other high-profile captures. After the bombing of the Murrah federal building in Oklahoma City, McVeigh was pulled over on an interstate highway north of the city for speeding in his yellow Mercury and driving without a license plate. Weapons charges, for the pistol strapped to his shoulder in a holster, were added later. His connection to the bombing wasn't discovered until hours later when he was matched to a police sketch of "John Doe No. 1," the suspected bomber. McVeigh was executed last year. The stolen car that serial killer Ted Bundy was driving led to his arrest. He confessed to more than 30 murders, including that of a 12-year-old girl, and was executed in Florida in 1989. Mohammed A. Salameh's mistake was trying to get back his deposit for the rental truck that was loaded with explosives and destroyed in the 1993 bombing at New York's World Trade Center. Salameh was arrested after he returned to the Ryder dealership in Jersey City, New Jersey, with police documents showing he had reported the vehicle stolen. Investigators had found vehicle fragments with an identification number matching the one on the van, and Salameh's involvement was confirmed after his rental papers tested positive for chemical nitrates, which is common to many explosives. Asked why Salameh would have rented a truck in his own name, reported it stolen to police and the dealership and return twice seeking a refund of his $400 deposit, a senior law enforcement official at the time said: "Who knows? Just because he's a terrorist doesn't mean he's a brain surgeon." In other cases: -- Peter Sylvester, the Long Island sniper who shot and killed a man inside a diner and later wounded a woman inside a Burger King in 1994, ultimately was caught after police linked him to a burglary at a taxidermist's shop, where three guns had been stolen. One of the weapons, a .35-caliber rifle, turned out to be the murder weapon, which police found at Sylvester's mother's home. -- In a previous sniper case in the District of Columbia, police capped the investigation of an eight-week series of random shootings that killed four people after the suspect, James E. Swann, was caught running red lights. An off-duty police officer chased him into a parking lot, where he was arrested minutes after his final slaying.
View Quote
Notice how they replaced the word [b]shooter[/b] with the word [b]sniper[/b].
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 8:20:14 PM EDT
I'll tell ya how he won't get caught. He can come to my house, and I'll cut his f**kin' head off! AB
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 9:25:12 PM EDT
Well, this is CNN... This is the employer of 'Bagdhad Pete' Arnet, on record for getting his equipment on the USAF target list... 'General, how will we know if the F117s stealth really works? Well, when CNN goes off the air, we know we got through...'
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 9:48:13 PM EDT
Wonder if they would like it as much if it was reporters/on air types getting whacked? Ever wonder how it would be if it was politicians whacked it? I remain to be convinced it isn't the democRAT candidate for gov behind it! What a coup for the anti's!! For sure the murderer is a nut case, be it he or she, foreign or domestic AQ type! The gov will try their level best to conceal the truth even if they do catch this POS.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 9:58:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Rparr28922: This is going to sound horrible but its the truth ...
View Quote
.... Yeah, [b]The_Macallan[/b] has his moments, doesn't he! [^]
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 10:01:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SteyrAUG: In fact, they double dog dared you to even try and shoot one of them.
View Quote
I heard they TRIPLE DOG DARED you!!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 10:20:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Hokie: I think the one lesson he WOULD learn is to NOT drive a white van. Thanks CNN...
View Quote
LOL![>Q]
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 10:23:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Rparr28922: This is going to sound horrible but its the truth. News people love this type of event's. they live for it.
View Quote
Wasn't that a song? Dirty Laundry? Miami Vice era.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 10:36:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Rparr28922: Hey Mr Sniper I dare you to come to 320 Oak Road, Pittsburgh PA and try anything with me. Actually I'm going to call him out. If you read this Mr sniper come to my house and try to snipe me.
View Quote
Excuse me I got a little lost. From Boyce Park I want to go right on Nuttals Grove Rd. and that becomes Oak Rd.?
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 5:13:26 AM EDT
An officer in the town where I work pulled over a guy for speeding. He looked in the back seat and saw a bloody ax. Arrested the guy. Later found out he had just killed his x-wife and mother-in-law. Police say he was enroute to number 3!
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 6:10:17 AM EDT
If it bleeds, it leads. I put in my vote for Geraldo also, if it has to be one of them, better him the Laurie Dhue, or one of the other foxy info-babes. Of course, if the sniper took a head shot on Geraldo, it might just slide off from all the grease...
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 7:51:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By -UHLEK-:
Originally Posted By SteyrAUG: In fact, they double dog dared you to even try and shoot one of them.
View Quote
I heard they TRIPLE DOG DARED you!!!
View Quote
Has it got to quad-dog yet? I'm picturing 4 of those marine dogs snarling and growling, kinda likethe old quad-fifty mounts.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 8:04:23 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SUPERSPORT: ... Wasn't that a song? Dirty Laundry? Miami Vice era.
View Quote
I make my living off the Evening News Just give me something-something I can use People love it when you lose, They love dirty laundry Well, I coulda been an actor, but I wound up here I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear Come and whisper in my ear Give us dirty laundry Kick 'em when they're up Kick 'em when they're down Kick 'em when they're up Kick 'em when they're down Kick 'em when they're up Kick 'em when they're down Kick 'em when they're up Kick 'em all around We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who comes on at five She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye It's interesting when people die- Give us dirty laundry Can we film the operation? Is the head dead yet? You know, the boys in the newsroom got a running bet Get the widow on the set! We need dirty laundry You don't really need to find out what's going on You don't really want to know just how far it's gone Just leave well enough love Eat your dirty laundry Kick 'em when they're up Kick 'em when they're down Kick 'em when they're up Kick 'em when they're down Kick 'em when they're up Kick 'em when they're down Kick 'em when they're stiff Kick 'em all around Dirty little secrets Dirty little lies We got our dirty little fingers in everybody's pie We love to cut you down to size We love dirty laundry We can do "The Innuendo" We can dance and sing When it's said and done we haven't told you a thing We all know that Crap is King Give us dirty laundry! - Don Henley
Top Top