Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2001 7:14:15 PM EDT
When the old board was up I had over 1000+ post, now I am barely over 250.  I learned a lot as there was great info on this board. However, things have changed. I stopped visiting AK-47.net a while back because it was obviously overrun with childrens flame wars, stupid post, and general stupidity. I believe the same is happening here....now.  I bet that even 25% of the people that post here don't even own a firearm...much less actually be of legal age to own one.  By the general tone of most topics lately, I would say there are a lot of teenagers posting here just tring to be  "cool".

THIS SHOULD STOP!!!!!!!!

I am not writing this to critisize this site.  I am posting this because I enjoy this site and want it to continue.

Fact is this:  The moderators want this crap to stop...right??  Well then why aren't you stopping it?  This site needs more moderation, not less!!  McUzi and Co. was a problem a year ago, so why did it take till now to put a stop to him?  If you give trolls/trouble makers an inch, they will take a mile every time!

So Moderators, I don't mean to critisize.  But I for one support more moderation not less.  If ya don't then this wonderful place will just be another sucky bitch board instead of a gun board.  I suggest the Moderators read the rules we all agrre to when we first sign up...then start enforcing those rules 100%.

My .02...for what it's worth.

Sgtar15

Link Posted: 6/6/2001 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Roger that.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 12:13:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Agree with Striker on this one.

We have 4 or 5 mods on this forum yet we all cant be online at the same time. There's somewhat of a spread around the clock. Due to the 6 hour difference in time I am mostly online during your night hours. So I have more time to read trough the posts, yet if you are online in EST prime time this is more difficult.

Fact is, and the way I see my "job" here. Is to assist new members, and clean up after those that decide to mess up the place. Yet I wont be able to do so all the time.

If a thread is becoming a problem, mail it to the moderators collectively. Chances are large it gets dealt with either way.

Thanks for the vote of support

Kuiper
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 9:26:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
But I for one support more moderation not less.  If ya don't then this wonderful place will just be another sucky bitch board instead of a gun board.  

View Quote

He's right.
This post should have been locked
and had its entire contents moved to the site suggestion forum.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 9:39:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By garden weasel:
He's right.
This post should have been locked and had its entire contents moved to the site suggestion forum.
View Quote

::snickering::

That's funny. [:D]

Personally, I'm fine with the current style of moderation - if anyone really cares.  If you don't like what you're reading... just move on.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#6]
You want censorship, head to [url]www.firingline.com[/url]

I posted "Glock Sux" on that one and got booted for good. (Yeah, right, like I can't get past a boot.)

I don't want someone unilaterally deciding what I need to look at -- except me. I like being able to actually type out "god damned asshole" instead of having to resort to "GD a$$hole" or similar.

"Babes with guns" works for me. You wanna post a photo of your cat? Fine. Don't own a gun and want to act cool. Knock yourself out.

Set up some sort of cyber-Nazi to decide what gets posted? Here's my vote: [moon]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 10:15:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Miss Magnum:

Personally, I'm fine with the current style of moderation - if anyone really cares.  If you don't like what you're reading... just move on.  
View Quote

Here's why I don't think that works.

I'll start with some EXTREME examples.

1. You are walking down teh street. You witness someone beating another person, near to death. Do you intervene?? It doesn't affect you. Its none of your business. If you don't like what you are seeing, just move on.

2. You see a woman being raped. Do you pull your firearm?? Its not YOUR relative. Its not really your concern. If you don't like what you are seeing, just move on.

OK, now a less extreme example...

3. You are walking down teh street. Someone is painting graffiti. Do you call teh plice, or intervene?? Its not YOUR building they are defacing. It's really none of your business. If you don't like what you are seeing, just move on.

Or how about an RKBA example....

4. In CT they just introduced legislation banning .50 AP rounds. Do you call your legislator?? You don't own a .50 cal, and don't ever care to. In fact, .50 cal is such a small part of the firearms community, you could argue we really aren't losing that much. If you don't like what you are seeing, just move on.

[size=4] THE FACT IS, THOSE OF US, LIKE MYSELF, WHO WANT ***MORE**** NOT LESS MODERATOR INVOLVEMENT, DO SO BECAUSE WE BELIEVE THE GARBAGE THAT HAS BEEN FLOWING INTO THIS SITE LATELY IS BAD FOR THE FUTURE OF THE SITE, FOR GUN OWNERS REPUTATIONS IN GENERAL, AND FOR OUR RKBA SPECIFICALLY. WE "INTERVENE" HERE AT THIS SITE FOR THE SAME REASONS THAT WE PULL A FIREARM TO STOP A RAPIST, OR USE OUR CELL PHONES TO CALL THE COPS ON A GRAFFITI PAINTER, OR WRITE OUR LEGISLATORS TO SPEAK OUT AGAINST BANNING .50 AP ROUNDS. BECAUSE WE BELIEVE THE GARBAGE 'ROUND HERE IS BAD FOR GUN RIGHTS, AND FOR SOCIETY IN GENERAL.[/SIZE=4]

So, NO, I can't look away, or move on. To do so would violate my conscience, and be an abdication of my responsibility to gun owners and the general populace.

All you need for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

And I CAN'T, nay I WON'T, do that.

Link Posted: 6/7/2001 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, Garandman on most things I agree with you, but I don't need no moderation. I have not and will not give you or anybody else the right to tell me what I can and can't say. I understand it is a private board and I play by the rules I agreed to, but, no sir, I don't like others deciding what is OK and what is not. I think Miss Magnum got it right. No, I would not bypass a woman being raped, I would make it my business, but that is way out of context to the discussion. Ignor trolls, and they go away.
SFC (ret) Rew E. Williams  
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 10:53:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Been active (well as active as I get) heres since last century on the old board.  I've noticed something in my own posting habits, a pettern if you will relating to all this.

- The more junk and garbage I have to wade through, the less time I actually spend posting.  The more good, gun related stuff I can find, the more likely it is that I'll take the time to create my own post to try to add to it.  

I check these forums everyday and read for an hour or two - I used to post everyday too, but that is becoming much more infrequent...
Without good moderation I could conceivably stop coming here becasue I wouldn't want to wade through all the trash.  Now THAT would suck!

Here's a pat on the back for our mods, something I don't do often enough!  When it's necessary, then - [chainsawkill] so be it!
Keep up the good work...
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well, Garandman on most things I agree with you, but I don't need no moderation. I have not and will not give you or anybody else the right to tell me what I can and can't say. SFC (ret) Rew E. Williams  
View Quote

Neither do I.

Not a single post of mine has EVER been edited by a mod.

Why?? "Cuz i play by the rules.

Those of us who control ourselves don't need others to do it for us.

Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#12]
It people are tired of their posts gettting deleted or locked, you can always go to mcuzi.com or ak-74.com.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Striker & Kuiper,

I agree that you folks can't be on this site all the time.  I also agree that the general membership can help by ignoring troll post and etc.

I support what you guys do 100%..I really do.  However, sometimes it takes to long to kick troublemakers off this board, just because they act "good" for a week but then return to their normal selfs.

Again, I support you, but here's a suggestion--Once a week post a message explaining the sites rules.  And make any violations clear to the offenders.  Again, I only bring this up because I like this place and don't want it to turn into AK-47.net.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top