Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2005 6:45:59 AM EDT
Get the entire display to fit the monitor.

I just updated a new (used) laptop from Win98 to Win2K.  The laptop has a 1280 x 1024 resolution screen, but the desktop size is expanded way beyond the border of the screen.  I can get to everything by moving the pointer around, but this is annoying.

Going way back to Win95 there was a key command combination that expanded the desktop size beyond the border of the monitor., but I can't remember the command!

Thanks for the help.

J

Update - Got it.  Needed the original driver instead of the Windows generic driver.

Thanks for the help.  I'm still wondering what that keystroke was though!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:53:31 AM EDT
[#1]
right click on desktop, choose properties, and click on setting tab.  adjust screen size from there.  if that doesnt work, I think it is control g or control h
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:02:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Already tried the right click and Properties route.  The largest screen size where everything shows up is 800 x 600.  However I know that the display supports 1280 x 1024, had it that way this morning before upgrading.

It is a Ctrl G or H type command that I am looking for, but neither of those worked for me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:02:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I think you actually need to adjust the monitor at this point. You should be able to find an adjustment to shrink the screen vertically and horozontally, unless I misunderstand.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:22:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Should be something like 'shrink to fit' in the display properties.

depending on your laptop, you may have to adjust settings in the BIOS.

good luck

edit: the laptop may have updated video drivers that will help out.  You can probably find them at the mfg website
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:25:06 AM EDT
[#5]
control alt + and/or control alt -

?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top