Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/26/2001 8:39:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#1]
F those guys I love my CAR-97 - no jams no problems...I put a Trijicon Compact ACOG 3x24 with Amber Tri BAC - no complaints.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 8:47:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I shoot Oly Lowers....I am a LEO and use the Oly Lower on my duty rifle...no problems or complaints from me.  I don't use Oly uppers as I just have never purchased one..but I would not be afraid to.

medcop
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I've only owned two Olys.

One was a complete rifle, no complaints.

However, I also bought a stripped lower and it was a nightmare. The holes for the trigger pins were too big and the cut out for the bolt hold-open was too tight and the release lever would even move.

Also I dislike their in-house pistol-grip. I think it looks cheesy.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I've built AR's on Olympic and DPMS stripped lowers and done a fair amount of disassembly/reassembly on a Bushmaster.  The fit&finish of Bushy and DPMS are perfect, a little rough on the Oly.  However, stripped Oly's are notably cheaper than the others, so that's also a relevant factor.  Since the Oly wasn't my first, it was easier to notice little details.  If you want something specific, the takedown pin holes seem to be a couple thousandths too close or too far apart.  It's the only one that can be difficult to take apart without tools.  That could just be luck of the draw, who knows.  Nothing major, just little things that you notice if you're spoiled.  I'll leave it at that since you specifically asked for first hand experience. [:)]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#5]
my bosse's cousin's sister's brother's bosse's wife's grandfather's friend's person she met on the internet said they sucked.

that about sums it up..
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Wobbles?  Not my Oly.  My Oly has the tightest upper/lower fit of any AR I've looked at.  The problem is that the bolt on it won't close over a magazine.  So, I've got a very expensive single-shot rifle that is hard to feed.  The little 223 rounds are hard for me to hold with my fingers in the ejection port.  For the money, I could have bought a single-shot NEF 223 (that would be much easier to single-shot feed) and a very nice scope with enough left over to buy reloading equipment. I guess I should have known to expect trouble when their web page says that they don't warranty their parts, and they told me that when I placed the order.  I haven't been able to figure-out which part is out of spec, because I don't have access to another AR to swap-out parts with.  Also, I haven't shot the rifle (not having money sucks) in about four months, so I haven't put forth as much effort to troubleshoot the problem as I should have.

Besides problems with the rifle, every single person I've talked to at Oly has been a complete jerk.  Also, it took them two months to ship something that they said was in stock when I ordered.  In their defense, they didn't charge my credit card until the day I received the package, and they charged me about $20 less than the price I was quoted.z
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#7]
The biggest problem with Oly is tight chambers.  It's not really a problem... its a design.  But these guys wanna shoot Wolf and Milsurd 5.56x45 ammo, when the chamber is SAMMI .223 cut.

They do have a high fail to extract ratio... as found on these board... just do some searching.

Ok, you wanted experience.

I have a PCR-5, and an Ultramatch.  As soon as I got it, it fail to extract, every single round, left them in the chamber.  This was South African surplus.  Bought a box of Q3131A.  Same thing.

I ended up replacing the extractor... and it went away.

However, sometimes, it still will leave a cartridge in the chamber when it gets hot... and rips the rim clean off the cartridge where the extractor hits it.

I dont mind, I know it has a tight chamber and that's part of why its so accurate.  

Funny thing, it never has had a failure on any of the lacquer coated Wolf....

So far, out the the ultramatch, all I have fired is Black Hills .223, and it hasn't hiccuped yet.

However, when I was having trouble, I saw tons of posts about how many people were having the ame trouble as me, with Oly rifles.  It's the chamber.  If you want mil spec... then get a colt or bushy, because they are looser and chrome lined.

If you want a target rifle... my Oly makes me smile every time.

As far as the finish question.... I have a RRA and a Bushy as well.

To be perfectly honest, I think the Bushmaster finish is the WORST.  It has a very rough feel to it, and picks up marks and blemishes worse than either of the other two.

I actually think my Oly lower has the best looking (and stays good looking all day) finish of all my rifles.

Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:30:14 PM EDT
[#8]
... kinda like my "top of the line everything except... my M1 "Garand".

... Yep. I gotta Century but it is well lapped in and perfectly functional.

... not my primary implement, but she'll do in a pinch.

Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:30:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I have four of them and like them all
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wobbles?  Not my Oly.  My Oly has the tightest upper/lower fit of any AR I've looked at.
View Quote

My Oly PCR5 upper was a little loose, but not bad.  I put the Ultramatch upper on the same Oly lower, and it fits awesome.  Just luck of the draw.  

I have a bushy m4 that is pretty loose too.

Besides problems with the rifle, every single person I've talked to at Oly has been a complete jerk.  Also, it took them two months to ship something that they said was in stock when I ordered.  In their defense, they didn't charge my credit card until the day I received the package, and they charged me about $20 less than the price I was quoted.z
View Quote

You know, when I called, they were ok, but I sure would not call them helpful or friendly.  They said they were going to ship me some extractor O-rings right out for my extraction problem... and I had to email them three times to get them to actually drop them in the mail.  I felt like they kinda of forget about the customer.

Funny thing is.. I would still order from them again.  In this day and age, I just expect bad service..... that why I like to learn as much as possible about my hobbies, so I can fix things myself.

Plus, their ultramatch barrels rock.  Did I mention that?  :-)

Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:37:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've only owned two Olys.

One was a complete rifle, no complaints.

However, I also bought a stripped lower and it was a nightmare. The holes for the trigger pins were too big and the cut out for the bolt hold-open was too tight and the release lever would even move.

Also I dislike their in-house pistol-grip. I think it looks cheesy.
View Quote

I bought a 2001 Oly a few months back, no funky pistol grip.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I just bought my second oly , sold the first, both stainless ultra match 8.5 twist barrels both preban. never had a problem, always very impressive group size at the range..... but i hate the chamber job.. throat is much to long and chamber is near max size .. most target shooters like a short troat and a tight chamber. This is exactly opposite what the action guys want.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:45:11 PM EDT
[#14]
oh yeah to elaborate, Ive got a PCR-9 with a Stainless Barrel, 9mm Carbine, And I've fired several hundred rounds of ammo from wolf, pmc, umc, winchester etc.  without a single failure of any kind. Furthermore, it is considerably more accurate than the Colt 9mm I've shot with a significantly better trigger.  Its a bit wobbly, but nothing more noticeable than on any other AR i've shot, and its Finish is simply as good or better than any other AR i've seen.  Also, customer service and order time when dealing with Oly and one of their distributors in texas was spectacular.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#15]
i met a guy at the range w/ a pcr1 and he said he had to work on the trigger a bit to get it to work right.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh, that's another thing.

On the three lowers I have now...

The RRA has the worst trigger.  The creep is long, and you can feel the grinding marks on the trigger/hammer as it pulls.  Very stiff (it has the beefiest hammer spring I have seen)

The Bushmaster has a decent trigger.  Not bad, but not great.

The Oly trigger is nice, the creep is short, and breaks clean.

Granted... these are service rifles, and not designed to have target triggers.  You can add real triggers if you want... just posting my results.

I think this is more luck of the draw though... for what batch of parts kits you happen to get, more than one being higher or lower quality than the other.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:21:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
i met a guy at the range w/ a pcr1 and he said he had to work on the trigger a bit to get it to work right.
View Quote

I try not to pay too much attention to what "guys" at the range tell me.

I like to BS with them as much as the next guy... and they usually know a little about the rifle they are shooting with... but more often than not they have been poorly informed.

I try get get my information in places like this, and use the range for shooting.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#18]
  I have mine "FIRST HAND" from fat ass Tom Spithauler in the flesh.  The comp was bored crooked on my Oly piece of crap and after the first few shots it was blasted downrange, The set screws scarring the crap out of the barrel.
  Oly factory losers are at the local gunshow, led by fat Tom in the flesh.  He said, "we mount them loose in case people want to take them off, that is not a warranty problem" and told me to piss off.
  So I sold my piece of Oly crap to the next guy who thought they were treasure and bought an Armalite.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Lonegunman :  so tell me how do you realy feel??? damn , never heard shuch bad shit about oly... almost dont believe it! IN my Humble Opinion i wouldn't take an armalite to the candy store. let alone the range! got an armalite trigger that is worth no more than sht and an armalit barrel that lasted only 1500 rnds that i will sell to you cheap....pat
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:08:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Lonegunman :  so tell me how do you realy feel??? damn , never heard shuch bad shit about oly... almost dont believe it! IN my Humble Opinion i wouldn't take an armalite to the candy store. let alone the range! got an armalite trigger that is worth no more than sht and an armalit barrel that lasted only 1500 rnds that i will sell to you cheap....pat
View Quote

About the barrel after 1500rds,I have never heard anything like that before in my life....
What kind of ammo were you using and was it full auto fire? And did you drop the barrel in water after you were done shooting?

John
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:18:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I know first hand that Oly put out a bunch of PCR stripped lowers that were so out of spec that they would not even accept the installation of hammers. This was about 5 years ago though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 12:16:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Why does everyone think that Olympic Arms is crappy
View Quote

Huh?  "Everyone" doesn't think that.

I've found Oly to be just fine.

The only problem I've ever had was with Bushmaster.  I've also had to deal with an ex-friend's Colt, which was an absolute POS.

Olympic?  No problems, their stuff has always worked and fit fine for me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 12:27:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Honest answer, not a flame.

Well, when I bought my BushmasterI looked at several brands of AR's. The Oly's didn't really impress me at the time because: 1)They were painted - I wanted mil. spec anodizing, 2)I wanted a chrome lined mil. spec barrel, 3)A few other non-mil spec. items.

For my first AR I wanted something truly mil. spec. The Oly wasn't and its finish didn't impress me. I kinda liked the stainless barrels they offered as an option though.

Admittedly, sometimes the Bushmasters will show some marks but that is kinda the nature of anodizing as its penetrates the metal rather than covers the surface.

All in all, if it works and you're happy with it then its good!
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 1:30:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Oly makes a generally good product. QC is somewhat of a variable. I have received parts kits with pins half way in, canted front sight post, holes not reamed properly, etc. Not every time but enough to make me wonder.
The other issue is customer relations and service. The customer service guy (Tom) can be hit or miss.
Good luck. I've owned plenty that shot and functioned just fine. Heck, half of the fun of owning an AR is tuning it up anyway.

Link Posted: 9/27/2001 2:15:16 AM EDT
[#25]
I have an Oly PCR CAR-15 flattop with 16" SUM barrel. I've shot FN 5.56, IMI .223 Rem (regular + matchgrade), Remington, IMI reloads, some Spanish army surplus and only experienced FTF problems with one of the mags because of a weak and worn out spring (Belgian Army surplus mag).
Upper/lower fit is without any wobbles. Finish is pretty nice.
Only "difficulties" uptill now are with the bolt catch which works a bit sturdy. Apart from that no problems. Accuracy is very nice.
Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:34:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I have personally blown half the bolt out of the ejection  port while shooting Lake city ammo.  A kind gentleman on the oly section of this sight gladdly replaced it even though I had NEVER bought anything from him before. After it was replaced by the kind buisness man olympic jumped on the band wagon saying how I was a BAD man for running anything but the high dollar commercial stuff. Never heard anything from them on my problem until it was fixed  by someone else. Tom is a tard and I will NEVER buy another oly salad shooter from them.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:38:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:49:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:55:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:55:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 8:49:25 AM EDT
[#31]
PROS:

1.  OLY's are cheap.
2.  OLY's aren't as bad as Hesse.
3.  OLY's barrels will perform well if feed correctly.
4.  OLY's customer service is better than ASA's.

CONS:

1.  OLY's are cheap.
2.  OLY's have traditionally had TIGHT magwells.
3.  OLY's resale value is not as high as Colt, Bushmaster or Armalite.
4.  OLY's use whacky silver phillips head buttstock screws.
5.  OLY's use whacky pistol grip.
6.  OLY's use whacky A1 round front sight posts.
7.  OLY's use cast front sight bases.
8.  OLY's internals are not as reliable as others.

DISCLAIMER:  
I've owned many (read: More than 9) OLY's over the years.  They're good for what they are (read: resonably priced AR-15 clones), but they'll never be top quality stuff.

When I wrench up Frankenguns I use OLY lowers, so I do find them useful.  However I'd never stake my life on one.

That's just my opinion.[BD]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:04:20 AM EDT
[#32]
[newbie] My first and only AR is an Oly Ultramatch: Excellent accuracy, 100% reliable with all decent ammo - (I have not even tried the cheap ammo)

Jewell Trigger would not quite function on drop-in, so some creativity was required. [chainsaw]  Likely due to some minor out-of-spec dimension in the lower, but is functioning 100% now.  Excellent fit, good finish, no experience with customer service.

On the flip side, local gunshop badmouths [soapbox] them at will, and carries Bushmaster/armalite - go figure. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
my bosse's cousin's sister's brother's bosse's wife's grandfather's friend's person she met on the internet said they sucked.

that about sums it up..
View Quote

That would be me.

They suck.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#34]
I have an OLY-M4gery. About 1,000 rounds through it, not a hiccup. I fire slow or fast as the mood strikes. I have used commercial and surplus ammo.

The OLY is much better fit an feel wise than any M-16 my uncle let me use, and more accurate too.

This is a Ford-Chevy thing. To feel good about their toys some people have to run down other people's toys. All the manufactures' have Teri pluses and minuses.  

OLY has tight chambers, and they are not chrome lined.......... OLY recently switched to .223 spec for their high end target AR's and 5.56 for the rest of their AR's. OLY offers stainless barrels as appx a $35.00 option, $65.00 for chrome.

I have a stainless barrel. Yes I know that if I am kidnapped and dropped off with my AR in a tropical environment.............wait since my rifle won't ever go to a jungle and isn't ever gonna be full auto (darn it) I don't think I need a "MIL-SPEC" barrel. Some people don't want to hear that.

"OLY makes cast receivers......" So?? Have you ever heard of an AR receiver failing?? really. Plus according to some 1911-A1 makers they can now us cast frames/slides to make 1911's because casting techniques have made castings virtually identical to forging, as far as durability and strength. Frames and slides on a 1911 would be "stressed" pieces, AR receivers are not. Casting's don't look as good. Got me there I guess if you need a pretty gun........

Most OLY receivers are forged anyway.

OLY is a kinda goofy company. In so much as it offers low end rifles, "Plinker", and some of the best mass produced barrels around Ultra Match. They don't know if they are a "cost sensitive" company or a high end company. The also have MaxHard and Titanium receivers, and FIRSH free float handguards.

Lot's of the people who complain about them just like thing simple......(Cave man voice) "Armalite good" "OLY bad".
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
 The problem is that the bolt on it won't close over a magazine.  So, I've got a very expensive single-shot rifle that is hard to feed.  The little 223 rounds are hard for me to hold with my fingers in the ejection port.  For the money, I could have bought a single-shot NEF 223 (that would be much easier to single-shot feed) and a very nice scope with enough left over to buy reloading equipment.
z
View Quote

Zoom,  if the mag is riding too high & keeping the bolt from closing, it's a pretty easy fix.  Unscrew the mag catch button & pull out the mag catch itself.  The part that catches the notch in the mags can be filed down a little so that the mags ride a little lower.  Just take off a little at a time & keep the upper surface parallel to the original surface.  The worst you'd do is screw up the mag catch & that's only a $10 part.  Give it a shot.

Norm
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#36]

I built an AR on an Olympic lower.  The lower was cheap, that's the good thing about it.  It had some minor casting flaws and the stamped markings were done unevenly. The mag release hole was a little too tight, and I had some minor problems with the takedown pins, but after a little filing here and there, the rifle went together fine and it works.  I am no big fan of the painted black finish though, so I will probably redo it in Norrell's moly resin soon.

Comparing it to my Bushmaster will reveal the Oly lower is a little rougher.  I don't think I'd buy a complete Oly rifle though, not at the same price as BM and Armalite.

Link Posted: 9/27/2001 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#37]
I've been quite happy with my Oly.  Kit gun, Oly lower and upper.  Went together without a hitch.  Shoots better than I do, faint praise tho that may be.  Took it to Camp Perry this year and will take it next as well.  

If memory serves Oly has been making AR's longer than anybody except Colt.  Last numbers I saw they were number three behind BM and Colt. Wouldn't hestitate to buy another.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#38]
WHY do I hate my Oly? Let me tell you, I had such a bad experience with my oly lower, which ended up with my lower on fire. ON FIRE! I can't even TELL you how mad I get when I think about it. I just start seething with rage over my flaming Oly lower. When people beg me to share the Flaming Oly Lower story with them, I refuse, because it would infuriate them.[;D]

OK, enough of that.

My Forged Oly stripped PCR lower has misplaced pin holes,(pain in the butt to put together) and an insanely tight megwell. NO, it's not the trigger guard, it's the well. EVERY SINGLE AR MAGAZINE, Thermold, USGI, Colt of the 40 I own sticks in it, when stripped. They have to be YANKED out, so it's not even any fun to take it to the range. It is now delegated to "9mm postban carbine with magwell block project" status, because the block will be made correctly, even if the Oly lower is junk.

No NO NO mo' Oly.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#39]
I bought a stripped Oly lower and built an M4gery with a Complete Bushmaster Upper.... I also used a complete DPMS lower parts set.

The PCR lower has an excellent finish and I found it to fit very good against the Bushy upper.

I've had no problems with mine and wouldnt hesitate to buy another stripped lower.  

M.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Totally happy after three years with my pre-ban UltraMatch.  For my extra post-ban lower, I would seriously consider an Olympic M4-gery upper if I could take my eyes off the RockRiver AR15.com upper.  The Oly actually had better fit/finish than the other of the Big3 I auditioned for purchase, but hey, this is SoCal.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 1:43:56 PM EDT
[#41]
My post-ban is an oly. Wolf ammo run fine. rough at first, but i would'nt back down and kept feeding the ammo to it.

The only thing wrong with the oly compared to other AR15's is the finish. i personally like the flat gray finish on the pre-ban colts and Bushies's.

The mag well is also tight, but i work the Thermolds in the rifle enough that they drop free now.

i've mistreated my oly enough without cleaning it except the bore that i trust it to work. as far as dipping it into the mud with an open ejection port. i would'nt trust any AR15.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have an OLY-M4gery. About 1,000 rounds through it, not a hiccup. I fire slow or fast as the mood strikes. I have used commercial and surplus ammo.

The OLY is much better fit an feel wise than any M-16 my uncle let me use, and more accurate too.

This is a Ford-Chevy thing. To feel good about their toys some people have to run down other people's toys. All the manufactures' have Teri pluses and minuses.  

OLY has tight chambers, and they are not chrome lined.......... OLY recently switched to .223 spec for their high end target AR's and 5.56 for the rest of their AR's. OLY offers stainless barrels as appx a $35.00 option, $65.00 for chrome.

I have a stainless barrel. Yes I know that if I am kidnapped and dropped off with my AR in a tropical environment.............wait since my rifle won't ever go to a jungle and isn't ever gonna be full auto (darn it) I don't think I need a "MIL-SPEC" barrel. Some people don't want to hear that.

"OLY makes cast receivers......" So?? Have you ever heard of an AR receiver failing?? really. Plus according to some 1911-A1 makers they can now us cast frames/slides to make 1911's because casting techniques have made castings virtually identical to forging, as far as durability and strength. Frames and slides on a 1911 would be "stressed" pieces, AR receivers are not. Casting's don't look as good. Got me there I guess if you need a pretty gun........

OLY is a kinda goofy company. In so much as it offers low end rifles, "Plinker", and some of the best mass produced barrels around Ultra Match. They don't know if they are a "cost sensitive" company or a high end company. The also have MaxHard and Titanium receivers, and FIRSH free float handguards.

Lot's of the people who complain about them just like thing simple......(Cave man voice) "Armalite good" "OLY bad".
View Quote

Have I ever heard of a cast receiver failing?  You bet you a$$!  Mine did!  The interior dimensions were a bit off which produced a weak "web" in the rear of the receiver.  Needless to say the web around the buffer retainer hole cracked after a few hundred rounds.  (Caveman voice) "No problem Oly... only problem top-end clones."[>Q]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#43]
I built  my Oly stripped lower with a Model 1 kit and have never been happier. Upper to lower is so tight I have to push the takedown pin out and smack the buttstock for it to pivot. In fact, the other day I met a Service match shooter with a BM-CMP rifle. He paid $860.00 for it through our club, and my $530.00 kit rifle outshot his BM.(the rifle may have been capable of more than the owner could do with it) but he about shit himself when I told him what my rifle
cost.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#44]
I started out buying parts to build a post ban rifle. All Oly Parts. Once the rifle was complete, I traded it for a Oly Pre Ban lower and M4 barrel. I built both of the Oly Rifles up and had to do a little work on them for things to fit perfectly. Nothing to bad though. For the cost, I would gladly do it again. Hell it was almost fun and I learned a lot about the AR doing it. The finish on both were fine and both function perfectly. My pre ban has had a couple thousand rounds through it (wolf to Remington) and have had NO malfunctions at all. Thing shoots great. I would buy Oly again in a heartbeat.

Aviator  [img]www.dredgeearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Plus according to some 1911-A1 makers they can now us cast frames/slides to make 1911's because casting techniques have made castings virtually identical to forging, as far as durability and strength.< Frames and slides on a 1911 would be "stressed" pieces, AR receivers are not. Casting's don't look as good. Got me there I guess if you need a pretty gun........

View Quote

I only have a VERY little problem with this. I make custom knives. I forge them only. In a rifle lower this has no bearing at all, and for slide rails just a little.

When steel is poured or cast, there is grain flow in the direction of the pour. The steel is weaker with the grain, as is wood. If I were to get cold or hot rolled steel, and just grind or machine a part or blade, I would etch to find the direction of the grain. If the grain ran across the billet, I would only make said knife if I changed the grain through forging- if enough stress is applied (such as when one uses the knife as a lever) the blade would snap rather than just bend.

This said, it would be a remote issue with slide rails (but would fail before the forged part), and really none with the lower.

The powdered casting processes are as stated above getting close to the strength of forging.

Thanx for letting me get this off of my chest!

Don Out
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#46]
I really think Oly is a hit and miss kind of a thing.
It is really a shame that they can't be a more consistant company.
Some people have really good luck with them and some people have bad. And it really seems to be a randon kind of a thing.
How lucky do you feel?
Remember: its your money.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Norm_G, I started a long drawn-out discussion in the "Build It Yourself" forum a few months ago.  Your suggestion to file the mag catch was one that a couple of people made.  I bought an extra mag catch from Oly and tried it.  Under recoil, because the mag catch isn't as tall as it once was, it isn't able to hold the mag down, the magazine would move back up into the path of the bolt.  A diagram would be "worth a thousand words" here.  Also, putting any pressure on the bottom of the magazine would also cause this problem again.  The only range that is close to me requires that you shoot from a bench, so I found it very hard to keep from bumping the bottom of the magazine.  That solution just didn't work for me.  I haven't been able to go shooting in months, so I haven't been actively looking for a solution.  I have a cordless dremel tool now, so I'm wondering if it would be safe to grind on the bolt.  Oly said it is heat treated and that would be a bad idea, but I'm still tempted.

Juggernaut, a flaming lower story?  Now that's funny.z
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Where I live the oly boys are always at the shows with there table of stuff. Try to talk to them there defencive I have never owned one so all I can say is I've heard to many horror stories to buy one. There are few and far between in gun shops in WA. dealers here don't like them too many problems. Like it has been already said, the tight chambers caues alot of problems.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The biggest problem with Oly is tight chambers.  It's not really a problem... its a design.  But these guys wanna shoot Wolf and Milsurd 5.56x45 ammo, when the chamber is SAMMI .223 cut.
View Quote

I read that Olympic was cutting some (all?) chambers in 5.56 starting recently.

- mark
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
After it was replaced by the kind buisness man olympic jumped on the band wagon saying how I was a BAD man for running anything but the high dollar commercial stuff.
View Quote

Check out the Bushmaster site and what they are saying you should shoot out of a bushy rifle.  It sounds a lot like what Oly is saying...

Mark
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top