Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 3:52:28 PM EDT
It just started today.  Here's the 411..

'87 Nissan Sentra.  I just put a full tank of gas in the car.  And ever since then it hesitates and dies when the engine is around 1k.

It idles fine, runs wide open too.  Just not in the middle.  If I let the engine get near 1000 under load it sputters and dies too.

My thought is fuel filter, since I accidentally let it run out of gas yesterday.  What do you guys think?  Is there something I could be overlooking?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#1]
fuel filter could be it. Try that
then if it still doesnt it you might want to check the air/fuel mixture. Ive seen the M.A.S (Mass Airflow Sensor) cause the same problem.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
then if it still doesnt it you might want to check the air/fuel mixture. Ive seen the M.A.S (Mass Airflow Sensor) cause the same problem.

MAS on an '87 carburated?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:59:58 PM EDT
[#3]
could be some crap in the carb itself
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:08:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Try a can of Dri gas, It is cheap and easy enough to use. Fixed me up when I liven in the cold a couple of times.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:54:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay, I put a can of HEET in it and a new fuel filter.  It still does the whole sputter thing.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Did you give the HEET a chance to get to the carburetor??
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I would say a carb problem.  the  idle is on a different ciruit then  the mid range i bet.  And when your wide open, mixture really doesn't matter enough to  kill the engine.  Clean the carb, change the  air filter, change the fuel filter and keep  on truck'n.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Its been running for about a half hour now

Quoted:
Did you give the HEET a chance to get to the carburetor??

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1.  Just encountered the same problem with my pickup.  I replaced the fuel filter and it runs like a champ.  Cheap fix too.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Stuck open EGR valve?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Check the timing.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Problem fixed.

I smacked all the valves with a screwdriver, replaced the fuel filter.  Added carb cleaner and HEET.  Cleaned the cap and rotor.  And replaced the seal on the air box.  

Seems that the airbox holds a vacuum and after checking, the seal had slipped off the lid.

Fixed.  Back to the streets.

In case anyone is wondering its got 225425 miles!  Bout time something happened
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:54:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MAS on an '87 carburated?

Didnt realize that it was carburated, figure a Nissan from '87 would have a fuel injection system of some sort
Glad you got it back on the road
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top