Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2001 8:44:01 AM EDT
I thought since this is the hall of hero's, we'll discuss heroic feats we have done in our life as civilians, not professionals. I think just about everyone in their life has come across the situation to help in a time of emergency. Here's one of my feats, I'll start.
One day while my wife and I were going to work, it was a drizzly day. Shortly after the crest of one particuler hill was a gas stop. It was in a dangerous location because if traffic backed up from turning, people would rearend each other because of no visability due to the hill crest and short notice. Well, this happened. Only it was a kid that worked in the same department we worked in. He had swerved to the right to miss rearending the car in front of him and lost it in the ditch flipping over several times. It was sad as most of the people there wouldn't help him, they just gawked. I saw this and hollered at my wife to stop. She couldn't seem to stop fast enough for me so without thinking, I jumped  out of the car while it was still moving. I landed on my feet and ran to him. Another kid got to him at the same time I did but was clueless of what to do. I saw he was wrapped around the steering colum alive and barely conscious. I'm one of those addrenline dump people and I flipped out. The door was stuck shut because it was upside down and crunched. The boy who was helping me was bigger than me and he couldn't get the door to budge. I pushed him aside and nearly ripped the door clean off its hinges getting it open, then kicked the front window out trying to get him out. I couldn't do it without hurting him badly so I decided the steering colum had to go. I had the steering colum half ripped out of the dash when the kid stops me and calms me down momentary then tells me he's calm and knows what to do now that I got the way cleared. I had pulled the colum into just the right position were he could just twisted his foot about an inch and get it to come loose from the dash, then I pull him out.
Days after the wreck when the boy recuperated. He looked me up and tearfully thanked me for saving him. I know those adrenaline dump stories really do happen cause I'm one of them. Now let's here yours. Even if it's from a professional that was off duty.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 11:22:12 AM EDT
[#1]
No heroic feats of strength involved, but I was at the scene of a 4X4 accident once.

There were 4 of us out 4 wheeling in the San Jacinto mountains in southern PRK. We decided to try climbing a steep hill which was reached by following a fire break along the ridge of a series of hills. There was one slippery hill we had to make it past first, which involved going down a little draw, then nailing it to make it to the top. I was last in line, two had already made it up, and I was waiting for the Jeep in front of me.

The Jeep owner was not known for maintaining things, and this day he paid the price. He almost made it to the top, but not quite. His brakes were too weak to hold for a slow decent, and he started picking up speed down the hill. He hadn't picked up much speed when he cut the wheels to the right, thinking that was better than all the bumps near the bottom of the hill, which would have launched him off the side of the ridge, or into the front of my Power Wagon.

He ended up sitting sideways perpendicular to the fire brake, but it was too steep and he began to roll. His 7-8 year old son was strapped into the passenger seat, but the driver either didn't put his belt on, or it broke. He fell out the side on the first roll and tumbled over and over with the Jeep for three rolls before he came to a stop on the hill side, and the Jeep continued rolling hundreds of feet down the ravine.

I got on the C.B. to the others at the top and ran over to the Jeep driver. He was sitting up moaning, not knowing what had happened, and his leg was split open from crotch down about 12 inches. The other guys got there pronto. We did what we could to apply pressure to stop the bleeding, when we realized his son was in the Jeep too.

I ran down the hill, not expecting to find him alive, as it had rolled dozens of times. I found the Jeep upright, and the boy still strapped in the seat; at least the rollbar had done its job. He was crying, but had nothing more than a broken arm (learned later). I don't know how I carried him up that hill, as it was very steep, but adrenaline had to have kicked in.

We got help via channel 9 REACT, and after a few days in the hospital, and lots of stitches, the Jeep owner was alright. We winched his Jeep out and managed to get it on a trailer. It was a mess. Bet he'll never cut corners again when it comes to brakes!
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 12:09:47 PM EDT
[#2]
This one is for a high school friend - Thomas.

As an Army MP he was called to the military housing area to handle, what else, but a domestic violence problem.

When he got there, the GI was beyond drunk and  was emotionally berserk.  The guy had drug his wife out on the second floor landing, had her in front of him and a double barrel pointed down the stairs.
Thomas quietly spoke to the guy, went up the stairs, calmly removed the shotgun from the GI, slipped the shotgun to another MP that by then ahd also climbed the stairs and held the GI in his arms until he had cried himself out.

Yeah, both barrels were loaded.

Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#3]
gib187th, as feats go, that's two mighty fine featers !
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 11:50:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Not "heroic", just bein' a nice guy: I was driving a truck from Kansas to LA over Xmas week of '90. I was about 50 miles east of Albequerque, NM, when another truck alerted us all to a guy on the side of the highway holding some kind of sign. The guy was standing so close to the road I almost hit him, and he had parked on the near side of an overpass, so I had to go to the other end before I could pull over. I walked back to him, and he had his wife & daughter in the car, which had broken down about 1 1/2 hrs before. Noone had stopped, even though the temp was around 30 below, and there was 2 ft of snow on the ground. Well, They were on their way to visit relatives in Albequerque, so me and this guy piled all their presents into my sleeper, his daughter climbed in, as well. His wife's legs had gone numb, so I had to carry her to the truck. After stopping to arrange a tow for his car, we headed off to Albequerque, which with the weather, took us about 3 hrs. We pulled into a mall parking lot, and he called his relatives, who shortly arrived to get them. This was at 4:30am, Xmas eve. This guy was a CPA from some suburb of Dallas, and he absolutely insisted that I crash in a nearby hotel (which he also insisted on paying for), AND made me take $50, for my "trouble." I tried (really, I did try hard as hell) to refuse, but he was adamant. It was a really big deal for them, as they had never been up close to a big truck before, much less ride in one, and the camera came out. LOL, he took pics of me, the truck, me & the truck, them & the truck, etc. You should have seen it: 30 below, wind howling like mad, and this guy's taking family shots with the grill of my truck for a background! He gave me his card, and told me that anytime I was in Dallas to call, and stay with him and his family. I got to LA at 6:30am or so on Xmas day (part of the reason I didn't want to stay in the hotel was so I could haul ass to the folks' house). That was a REAL nice family, and this was the best Xmas experience I have ever had.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:03:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I changed a flat tire for an old lady once........................[BD]

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/flash.gif[/img]

View Quote

I fixed the neighbor kids bike.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top