Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/16/2020 9:48:49 PM
Posted: 9/19/2009 5:50:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2009 5:51:38 AM EST by adventurejoe]
I figured this would be my best chance to hear some experiences with neck surgery and hear about your experiences. I have a herniated disc at C-6. Over the past 11 months I have tried the following: #1 Nerve root block with steroids-results:pain got worse then better for 2 days. #2 Traction therapy-result:no help.
#3 Epidural-result:no help. #4 Nerve root block with just numbing meds,no steroids-result:pain went away completely for 2 days then started coming back over the next 2 days until pain level was back to original level.
In between the outpatient procedures, I have taken Prednisone orally along with lots of Hydrocodone. I cant sleep. The pain is turning me into a constant A-hole. I have tried to avoid the surgical route, but have realized it is my only remaining option.
Please let me know about your experiences including surgery. What was recovery like and how long did your recovery take? They are going to do a discectomy and fuse C-6 to C-7 with a donor bone graft.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:00:16 AM EST
I had l5-s1 fusion due to a herniated disc in june.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:06:17 AM EST
I had a C-5,6,7 fusion in 2004. It scared the hell out me, but I needed to have it done. I spent 5 weeks at home wearing a collar while the donor bone began to seed with my own bone. I was relieved of the symptoms of numbness in my right arm that had plagued me before the surgery, and I'm glad I had it done, despite the likely hood of further surgeries down the road. I have good neck movement both laterally and up and down.

Best luck with your surgery!

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:33:35 AM EST
I had a C6 C7 fusion two years ago this coming Thanksgiving. I was surprised that there was not more pain involved and was amazed that the numbness, pain and weakness was gone from my left arm.

I rehabbed and was able to play golf within a few weeks with a limited turn. I was 100% after a few months.

Good luck and let me know if you have any further questions.
Top Top