Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:13:24 PM EDT
I usually tip 20 percent.... just me
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:13:26 PM EDT
doing your job might be worth 10%
do it better, you get 15
quit yer whining and get another job.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:13:51 PM EDT
F-that.

I tip based on service. Don't expect to get extra for service that average.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:14:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2007 6:15:18 PM EDT by Pangea]
Nope. Not going to be duped into group think tactics. I will tip what I think is fair and DESERVED. Shitty service= no tip. Adequate service= 15ish%. Excelent service will be decided per event.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:15:59 PM EDT
Nah. 20% is becoming popular because it's easier to do the math - two dollars for every ten doen't confuse most people.

That doesn't mean the waitress deserves it. They get tipped well for good service. Tipped poorly or not at all for bad service.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:16:22 PM EDT
Guess I'm gonna go backwards then. 10% is my new 15%.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:16:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:16:36 PM EDT
i even tip 20% on carryouts, especially if she is cute
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:18:03 PM EDT
Kind of like DeBeers just arbitrarily deciding for everyone that you should spend 2 months salary on an engagement ring?

I don't think so...
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:18:20 PM EDT
They start out at 15% and go up or down from there.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:21:33 PM EDT
A "tip" is optional to reward above average performance delivered by somebody providing a service to you. Getting my order correct does not equal free extra money. Taking care of unexpected issues on the fly, and or enshuring that my meal is an excellent experience equals $$tip$$ at whatever percentage I feel like.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:22:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By khaos1985:
I usually tip 20 percent.... just me

Me, too...at least. If they're great, I give up to 28%-30%. I find that they remember you VERY well and you get taken care of very well.

HH
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:23:02 PM EDT
Haha well in the case of 20 is the new 15, they still get whatever I deem necessary.

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:24:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:25:22 PM EDT
Don't waste my money going out to eat anymore. I'm not tipping anyone.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:25:36 PM EDT
Tipping City is only 20 km from where I live.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:28:51 PM EDT
Percentage based tipping is pointless.

If I order a $8.00 burger and fries or a $21.00 ribeye meal the waitress/waiter still does the exact same thing, and provides the same service.

So why should they get less of a tip for serving someone who eats a burger vice someone who eats a ribeye?

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:30:05 PM EDT
I don't see what the reason for people to use more than 15% as their baseline is. We've been raising our prices pretty steadily over the last couple years (thanks to increasing fuel costs, methinks). That's kept tips increasing a little with each year. Don't get me wrong, if you feel like leaving us 20% or more, feel free. But don't think that if we dont get 20% we'll feel bad or slighted. If I make more than 15%, its been a productive shift. Less than that, well, leads to other explanations.

But hey, today was my last day. Screw it!
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:33:03 PM EDT
i normally do 20-25
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:33:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Osirus23:

If I order a $8.00 burger and fries or a $21.00 ribeye meal the waitress/waiter still does the exact same thing, and provides the same service.

So why should they get less of a tip for serving someone who eats a burger vice someone who eats a ribeye?

If you eat at a place where there is no difference in quality or how complicated an $8.00 burger and $21.00 ribeye meal is, you're right.

In reality, however, there are a lot of things I have to get right. You buy something expensive, I know you expect to get it right. Buy the cheap burger, I start to think you might not give a damn. I could be wrong, of course, but experience shows otherwise.

Timing
Temperature of your steak
Sides
Presentation
Quantity of food
Quality of food
Courses
Drinks
Special instructions

It may not sound like much, but it is.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:34:06 PM EDT
It's a reflection on service. I have tipped between 0 and slightly over 100%.

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:35:01 PM EDT
When I tip it's normally only a buck or two for an average lunch. I just don't see how waitresses deserve tips of $5-6 per table when min. wage is only like $6/hour. Then again unless I'm going out to a fine restaurant most of the waitresses I deal with are complete idiots that make me question whether they can even read the menu.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:36:07 PM EDT
Dusty_C will be along shortly to explain how he sometimes tips 50% or 100%

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:38:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bloencustoms:
Nah. 20% is becoming popular because it's easier to do the math - two dollars for every ten doen't confuse most people.

That doesn't mean the waitress deserves it. They get tipped well for good service. Tipped poorly or not at all for bad service.

Bingo. The last few times she's come to visit, I tried to show my mom how to figure 15%, in the easiest way I knew how.

"If the bill is for $45.00, shift the decimal point over one. That is 10% ($4.50). Then divide whatever you just got by two ($4.50 / 2 = $2.25). That is 5%. Add them together, and that's 15% ($6.75)."

She still carries a calculator.

I told her she deserves for her base tip to be 20% since she refuses to learn math.

That said, my own math is notoriously bad when I've been drinking. In college, I made up this tipping scheme which is fairly drunk-proof.

Round up to the nearest five-dollar amount (e.g. a $21 tab is $25), then add $5 for avg-decent service, an add'l $5 for good service.

This works all the way up to $50. For $50-$100, double it. I rarely drink anymore, because it got *really* expensive.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:39:04 PM EDT
How is a tip hard to figure?

Just take the tax and X3.........
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:39:23 PM EDT
I tip what the service is worth, usually 20-30%. Our favorite waitress always gets 50%.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:41:58 PM EDT
When my wife and I go out to dinner the waiter starts off with a 20% tip and it goes down if the service is not up to par.

If you are really really good you can get more than 20%, I've tipped 30% for great service.

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:46:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By IAMLEGEND:

I once paid for a $1.25 glass of tea with a $20, but that was shortly after high-school graduation and I did it partially to sow some discord between my ex (who worked there) and the cute, flirty waitress (who was unaware).
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:46:32 PM EDT
tipping is based on their performance. It is a gratuity, not mandatory.

I had some coworkers get upset with me the other night because I refused to give the waiter a tip. He was curt and didn't once ask if I would like a refill on my water.

They tipped him 20% each

If I am with my family (4 young kids) I always leave a tip, starting at $5 and going up from there. Unless they are an ass, then they get a complaint submitted to the manager. If they are exceptional to ma and the family I also call the manager over and give the waiter praise, plus a better tip.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:48:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By wise_jake:

I once paid for a $1.25 glass of tea with a $20, but that was shortly after high-school graduation and I did it partially to sow some discord between my ex (who worked there) and the cute, flirty waitress (who was unaware).

That's pretty heavy in percentage terms.

My high % tips always happen when a huge portion of the alcohol part of the tab magically disappears.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:48:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Airwolf:

finance.sympatico.msn.ca/savingsdebt/insight/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5265655

What's really stupid is that the article is from Canada. You know what the difference is between a Canadian and a canoe, don't you? The canoe sometimes tips.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:50:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:50:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 71-Hour_Achmed:

Originally Posted By Airwolf:

finance.sympatico.msn.ca/savingsdebt/insight/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5265655

What's really stupid is that the article is from Canada. You know what the difference is between a Canadian and a canoe, don't you? The canoe sometimes tips.

That's funny, I'm Canadian and I just posted about tips going up into the 100+% range.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:53:46 PM EDT
They'll get what I give them and they'll like it.
Do they share with the cooks,busboys, or the host or hostess?

Most times, no.

Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:55:08 PM EDT

My high % tips always happen when a huge portion of the alcohol part of the tab magically disappears.

Theres a really good, locally owned Mexican restaurant about a block from my restaurant. A couple friends of mine went there and, thanks to a misunderstanding, gave the waiter a $20 tip on a $30 meal.

We went in there about a week later, during lunch mind you, and the three of us ordered three lunch plates and two pitchers of 1800 and Cointreau margaritas. About a $60 meal. The same waiter came by and tore up our check right in front of us, said dont worry about it. We left him $40. Its been like that ever since.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:56:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By badfish274:

Theres a really good, locally owned Mexican restaurant about a block from my restaurant. A couple friends of mine went there and, thanks to a misunderstanding, gave the waiter a $20 tip on a $30 meal.

We went in there about a week later, during lunch mind you, and the three of us ordered three lunch plates and two pitchers of 1800 and Cointreau margaritas. About a $60 meal. The same waiter came by and tore up our check right in front of us, said dont worry about it. We left him $40. Its been like that ever since.

Hells yeah!

I had a sushi place and have a brew-pub with a similar arrangement.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:03:14 PM EDT

In reality, however, there are a lot of things I have to get right. You buy something expensive, I know you expect to get it right. Buy the cheap burger, I start to think you might not give a damn. I could be wrong, of course, but experience shows otherwise.

So when they ask me to cut into my steak because they have no idea how it is cooked, how much do I deduct?

That and "Do you need change?", are the two fastest ways to reduce your compensation package with me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:04:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bloencustoms:

That is a sad statement about education in America.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:11:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RenegadeX:

So when they ask me to cut into my steak because they have no idea how it is cooked, how much do I deduct?

Hah, I've never been that inept, but I've been tempted. Theres a lot of trust involved there. I've had some steaks come out looking like leather and be mid rare. The converse has also been true.

That and "Do you need change?", are the two fastest ways to reduce your compensation package with me.

You'd be surprised. Very, very surprised. A guy gave me $50 on something like a $49.50 check and got pissed as hell that I diddn't give him his 50 cents back.

Please, dont assume all customers are astute as you.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:14:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pale_pony:
Kind of like DeBeers just arbitrarily deciding for everyone that you should spend 2 months salary on an engagement ring?

I don't think so...

Yeah, I've always wondered about that shit! Hey, why not 50% of a YEARS salary if you really love her?!?!
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:17:46 PM EDT

You'd be surprised. Very, very surprised. A guy gave me $50 on something like a $49.50 check and got pissed as hell that I diddn't give him his 50 cents back.

So you tried to steal $0.50 from him and he called you on it? Wow, what a jerk.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:18:03 PM EDT
I don't mind tipping, but the only person getting over 20% is my bartender.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:18:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2007 7:21:00 PM EDT by badfish274]

Originally Posted By Stove_Pipe:

If I remember right, I was busy as shit and actually forgot that I even had his money in my pocket. I usually give change regardless, but I guess I forgot in his case. I wouldn't say I tried to steal 50 cents in the least bit.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:20:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pale_pony:

I don't think so...

Now it's 3
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:23:05 PM EDT

If I remember right, I was busy as shit and actually forgot that I even had his money in my pocket. I usually give change regardless, but I guess I forgot in his case. I wouldn't say I tried to steal 50 cents in the least bit.

You missed his point.

Give him his &%$& change.

As soon as anyone assumes I don't want change, that becomes the only tip they are going to see.

That is one of my pet peeves as well.

Give me the odd nickels and pennies back - worst case they'll still be on the table after I leave, with several paper friends.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:25:35 PM EDT

If you eat at a place where there is no difference in quality or how complicated an $8.00 burger and $21.00 ribeye meal is, you're right.

Timing
Sides
Presentation
Quantity of food
Quality of food
Courses
Drinks
Special instructions

But how much of that does the waiter have control over?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:27:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

You missed his point.

As soon as anyone assumes I don't want change, that becomes the only tip they are going to see.

Give me the odd nickels and pennies back - worst case they'll still be on the table after I leave, with several paper friends.

I sure did.

I always give change back, I was just surprised that someone could get so belligerent over the 50 cents I honestly forgot to give them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:30:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2007 7:31:21 PM EDT by badfish274]

Timing - 100%
Temperature of your steak - Depends on temperature. I can get a rare to medium steak recooked in no time, anything more and it just takes too long for you to not notice.
Sides - 100%
Presentation - 100%
Quantity of food - 100%
Quality of food - 100%
Courses - 100%
Drinks - 100%
Special instructions - 100%

But how much of that does the waiter have control over?

I'll elaborate later.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:31:42 PM EDT
All depends on service. I'm known in my local resturants as a big tipper & I get treated accordingly, which is what I expect. I won't hesistate though to explain the fundamantals of tipping to a new hire who thinks it's just an automatic given; and yes I did serve tables myself.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:36:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

You missed his point.

I sure did.

I always give change back, I was just surprised that someone could get so belligerent over the 50 cents I honestly forgot to give them.

Gotcha - sounded for a second like you assumed it was normal to keep the change, and thus for that reason was stupid for a waiter to ask if you want it back.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top