Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/25/2004 7:56:39 AM EST
So I want to propose to my girlfriend whos sitting at home while I'm over in Afghanistan. Yes, we've both talked about getting married, and we plan on doing it as soon as I get back home.

The only thing I can think of so far is order a ring to my mom's house, and try to get a video to my mom of me asking her to marry her, and have my mom bring them to her. Any suggestions?

And please no comments on marriage or military relationships. I know what I'm getting into, and besides, thats not what I'm asking.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:41:33 AM EST
Hey man I got NO problems with you getting married if you're sure it's what you want to do, none. I'll probably be doing the same thing despite what everyone says about getting married while in the military.

Anyways, I dunno man, if I were you I'd just wait to ask her till you get home. It just wouldn't be as great of an experience to not be there with her when you ask her to marry you in my opinion. I don't know if you've ever been engaged/married before but I have once and I gotta say that being there with her when I asked her and getting to see her reaction and hold her in my arms when she said yes and stuff was really nice. But like I said that's just what I'd do.

Now I'll quit the sappy lovey dovey stuff.....GO KILL SOME TERRORISTS!!!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:08:10 AM EST
Wait till you get home. I did and I'm glad I did. I suprised her and had champagne. It's worth it just to see the look in her eye. Oh ya, and the "Ilove you" sex.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:15:16 AM EST
Agree with the guys,wait until you get home. It will be better to do it in person.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:21:57 AM EST

Originally Posted By Tallbill:
So I want to propose to my girlfriend whos sitting at home while I'm over in Afghanistan. Yes, we've both talked about getting married, and we plan on doing it as soon as I get back home.
The only thing I can think of so far is order a ring to my mom's house, and try to get a video to my mom of me asking her to marry her, and have my mom bring them to her. Any suggestions?
And please no comments on marriage or military relationships. I know what I'm getting into, and besides, thats not what I'm asking.

How about sending the ring and vid to your house and having your father (acting in your stead) give them to your GF?

Run fast, shoot straight, and don't take candy from strangers. Thanks for your service and come home safe.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:42:38 AM EST

Originally Posted By Tallbill:

I proposed to my girlfriend while in Iraq.

We are no longer together.......

I'd wait.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:29:20 PM EST
If you cant wait till you get home, talk to some MWR guys if you get the chance about video confrencing. Im sure they would go the extra mile for you since its for something so important.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:46:06 PM EST
I think I'm going to wait. my mother and her are still going to do some wedding planning, and then when i get home, i'll make it official
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:57:42 PM EST
I think this is a very good call

It just feels better doing it in person (Both emotionally and the good sex you'll get afterwards, HAHA)

Until then, keep up the good work over there, she'll still be there for you when you come home if she's as worth it for you as it seems.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:31:51 PM EST
Another vote for waiting to do it in person.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:37:16 PM EST
Dude, you need to give it the seperation test first. If she doesn't screw around while your gone do it when ya get back. Hate to bring ya down but it does happen. Wait... it won't kill ya!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:17:02 AM EST
Yeah, this deployment kinda is our test period. Mostly just how shes gonna be able to handle deployments.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:29:08 AM EST
my grandfather mailed my grandma a ring on his way back from new guinea in 1944.
Top Top