Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2007 8:18:58 PM EDT
Putting together a plinking round of 308.

Using estimates for componant prices purchased in bulk, cost breakdown a little on the high side follows per round, hopefully my math is not fubar'd:

Brass; given you might get anywhere from 4-8 reloads per case so lets figure six with the initial bulk purchase costing .18/ea where over the life of the brass comes out to .03 ea.  

Primers, I just bought a brick of 1k CCI LR for $28 which is about .03/ea

Powder, BL-C 2 @47gr per rd.  Comes in 8lb cans from Powder Valley delivered will run about 140 or so depending where you live and hazmat fee.  .12 ea.

Projectiles Pulldown M80,  I have a bunch that I bought for $60/1k, thats .06 ea.

So that's .24 cents/rd. $240/case.  This is not counting your time invested or your gear to do the actual loading.  I've been doing it so long and loaded so many rounds that my cost has diminished to the point that it isnt a factor in my tally.  This ammo is better than most off-the-shelf factory loaded stuff.   Compared to surplus running .45-.50/rd these days, reloading is a no brainer..  You might even find better deals on componants like range brass, gunshows, etc..  I was casting my own 45ACP and loading that for less than .05/rd!  

But you dont really save money, you just shoot more
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive reloaded so many thousands of rounds on my 550b just in 9mm that it has paid for itself and ALL of the components to load all of my other stuff.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ive reloaded so many thousands of rounds on my 550b just in 9mm that it has paid for itself and ALL of the components to load all of my other stuff.

I think as lot of people will reconsider buying factory and surplus at inflated prices.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:03:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know if I've really saved any money reloading.  I have made some pretty good ammo though.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Reloaders rule!!!!

Get with it people.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Reloaders rule!!!!

Get with it people.

NO!

No more room!

Don't reload.

It's too expensive for start up equipment costs.

Prices for components are just insane with escalating increases daily and everywhere.

Anymore reloaders will create a market spike and then it's PEAK COMPONENTS!
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I will reload when my source dries up, but for now I get it for less
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#7]
So how much is your time worth? When you figure in labor reloading becomes a labor of love and not a labor of economics.

Just saying...
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So how much is your time worth? When you figure in labor reloading becomes a labor of love and not a labor of economics.

Just saying...

until I find someone who will pay me to sit on my ass in the evenings, reloading will be a labor of economics for me.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Just saying...
With the right setup, you can load 500-1000 rounds per hour. That's not much time. I just upgraded from a single stage that I've been using for a long time, to a progressive press. Ammo prices are getting silly.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:35:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Just saying...

I can either watch TV for two hours or reload 300 rounds of 10mm for about $8.00/box

$48> $130  BTW; that's the equivalent of $48/hr.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just saying...

until I find someone who will pay me to sit on my ass in the evenings, reloading will be a labor of economics for me.

Actually for my 12ga trap reloads the price of lead has made reloading about even money compared to factory Federal 12ga loads when bought by the case.

Rifle and pistol are another story.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#12]
There's no way in hell I have the time to reload.  If I did I would.  As for right now im stuck shooting .22lr...
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Putting together a plinking round of 308.

Using estimates for componant prices purchased in bulk, cost breakdown a little on the high side follows per round, hopefully my math is not fubar'd:

Brass; given you might get anywhere from 4-8 reloads per case so lets figure six with the initial bulk purchase costing .18/ea where over the life of the brass comes out to .03 ea.  

Primers, I just bought a brick of 1k CCI LR for $28 which is about .03/ea

Powder, BL-C 2 @47gr per rd.  Comes in 8lb cans from Powder Valley delivered will run about 140 or so depending where you live and hazmat fee.  .12 ea.

Projectiles Pulldown M80,  I have a bunch that I bought for $60/1k, thats .06 ea.

So that's .24 cents/rd. $240/case.  This is not counting your time invested or your gear to do the actual loading.  I've been doing it so long and loaded so many rounds that my cost has diminished to the point that it isnt a factor in my tally.  This ammo is better than most off-the-shelf factory loaded stuff.   Compared to surplus running .45-.50/rd these days, reloading is a no brainer..  You might even find better deals on componants like range brass, gunshows, etc..  I was casting my own 45ACP and loading that for less than .05/rd!  

But you dont really save money, you just shoot more

How close are you to this place in Pa?  You need brass?

Brass for sale
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Where you getting brass for $.18 a piece?  
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Where you getting brass for $.18 a piece?  

Bought 500 rds of LC on eBay a couple weeks ago for $90.00 delivered but there is other places selling once fired LC for about $75 or so..

The frenzy to unload the stuff before eBay banned the sales of that typ of item found a bunch of good deals.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Components won't stay cheap forever. The price of components hasn't risen as drastically as loaded ammo, but I won't be surprised if manufacturers try to narrow that gap in the near future. With all the people new to reloading market forces will also come in to play. Demand for components will go up, supply will drop, prices will rise and pretty soon it might not be such a great deal any more. Don't get me wrong. There will always be some cost savings in reloading, but not as much as people have seen lately.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Brass for sale

I wonder if I trued to snipe that right at the auction end for cheap, would it be worth hauling it home?  I could store it at my dads big shed, sort it and sell it, scrap the stuff nobody uses and make money?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Reloaders rule!!!!

Get with it people.

NO!

No more room!

Don't reload.

It's too expensive for start up equipment costs.

Prices for components are just insane with escalating increases daily and everywhere.

Anymore reloaders will create a market spike and then it's PEAK COMPONENTS!

+1  Ya'll stay the hell outta my damn reloading components!

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brass for sale

I wonder if I trued to snipe that right at the auction end for cheap, would it be worth hauling it home?  I could store it at my dads big shed, sort it and sell it, scrap the stuff nobody uses and make money?

If I had a way to haul it for cheap and the extra funds laying around, I wouldn't worry about the resale part.  It will sell. Once fired military brass. Some of it may even be commercial brass.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Reloading is good......
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Reloading is not worth it at all. Save your money. Leave your brass where it lays, and think nothing more of it....
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I could haul it no problem.  I'd rent a bug trailer or something..  The site is about 2.5 hrs from me..
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Try Priv Partasian projectiles! Your Load and cost match my recent cost breakdown. Grafs carries the bullets. Dillon 550 owner here
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Reloading is not worth it at all. Save your money. Leave your brass where it lays, and think nothing more of it....

El pluso uno el senors!

Besides, you could have a stroke from bending over 1,000 times and for what? Some junk shot up metal. Your family would be sick! Think of them and not yourself!
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:00:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Try Priv Partasian projectiles! Your Load and cost match my recent cost breakdown. Grafs carries the bullets. Dillon 550 owner here

I need a Dillon.  I use a single stage RCBS press and it takes time.  But I can do enough to keep me shooting as often as i like right now but the idea of cranking out 500rds an hr is tempting.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#26]
probably saved $1500 here

Maybe a measly $600 here

Another couple $100

Probably saved a few $ here

Did ammo go up recently?  I missed the memo
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Just saying...

That too.  It was fun at first, and it kinda is, but ultimately it's work.  The more time I spend on the reloading bench is less time I spend shooting.  

I do it for good ammo.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:09:35 PM EDT
[#28]
My IDPA loads in .45 ACP cost $.075 a piece...$3.75 box of 50 for the max impaired.

Reloading is worth it, all of my loads are at least half the cost of comprable factory ammo; and there's the tailored load thing. I have my IDPA loads, my steel challenge loads, my "have to knock steel plates down" load, etc.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I used to reload. Picking up ejected cases from a semi-auto takes a lot of time. Then you have the time it takes to reload and tumble the brass. It's not worth it to me. Now if I was shooting for MOA groups, I would reload just for the extra accuracy, but for blasting ammo, I'd rather buy the surplus stuff. The thing about it is you have to jump on the surplus ammo deals when you find them, and not wait until you are out of ammo before you start looking. For example: I have 10,000 round of SA .308 I bought last year for $150/1000. This will last me a while.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#30]
The day is fast coming when its RELOAD or DO NOT SHOOT! Did the single stage thing for years plus 500 per hour is way high Av. Still new to the Blue machine.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#31]
First thing I do after picking up different caliber gun is order a set of dies. Just bought 600 7.62x39 brass for $100, will use them several times. Add pulled projectiles, surplus powder and bulk purchase primers, is well under $75 per 1000. I'm loading .32,9mm,38,357,.40,.45,.44 mag, .44Sp, .223,.308,.7,62x39, .303,30-30,30-06, and .308. No way I could afford the retail price of the ammo I shoot. I also use a single stage press. I find it very relaxing, usually load 25-50 rounds of something a day. Adds up real quick. I've been devoting my gun budget to reloading components instead of more guns.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought 2K of factory 308.  By the time I'm done with that 2K (about 6 years) ammo will be so high I might be able to save by reloading.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top