Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2001 11:02:37 PM EDT
He talked the talk and walked the walk. Let's see what other candidates stand up for fundimental Constitutional rights.

The whole article can be viewed here:

[url]www.armedfemalesofamerica.com/index.php?section=IN+THE+CROSSHAIRS%3A[/url]

AN ACT OF CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE

STANLEY FOR U.S. SENATE

By RICK STANLEY

(DENVER) At 12:15 pm today, December 15, 2001, Rick Stanley, Libertarian candidate for U.S. Senate, was arrested by
                           the Denver police for insisting that his constitutional right to keep and bear arms cannot be infringed. After delivering a
                           speech detailing the reasons for his actions (attached, below), Rick performed an act of civil disobedience by openly
                           carrying a loaded weapon, in a holster, in violation of Denver Revised Municipal Code section 38-117.5(b). Stanley
                           believes that this city ordinance is unconsti- tutional. It infringes citizens' rights protected by the Second Amendment to
                           the U.S. Constitution. It is also in direct violation of Article II, Section 13 of the Colorado constitution.

Duncan Philp, another true patriot determined to protect the right of all citizens to keep and bear arms, was also arrested
                           for carrying a weapon openly. At present, both Mr. Philp and Mr. Stanley are being held in the Denver City Jail awaiting
                           booking.

Mr. Paul Grant, a lawyer specializing in constitutional law who has argued several cases before the U.S. Supreme Court,
                           will be representing these men. Rick will demand a jury trial. He fully intends to demonstrate that this ordinance is
                           unconstitutional, and that it cannot legally be enforced.

Saturday, December 15, 2001, is the 210th anniversary of the ratification of the Bill of Rights. In honor of this auspicious
                           occasion, Rick Stanley delivered the following speech.

Rick also violated the Revised Municipal Code of the city and county of Denver, chapter 38-117.5(b), which prohibits the
                           open carry of deadly weapons within the city limits. Rick wants to prove that this ordinance is unconstitutional. But he can't sue the city until he's been
                           "damaged" by the ordinance. That is why he engaged in this act of civil disobedience: to obtain "standing" to sue the city for violating his constitutionally
                           protected rights.

Link Posted: 12/17/2001 11:08:19 PM EDT
[#1]
That is outstanding.  Will he be having a legal fund?
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:39:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:04:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn, that guy's got some sack.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:09:48 AM EDT
[#4]
A true patriot!  Three cheers for Mr Stanley!z

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#5]
If I lived in CO. He would get my Vote.  I may even try to vote twice.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:19:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Damn.......a real man........
impressive!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Outstanding.

But where are all the Libertarian bashers? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:20:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Excellent display for him.

The shame of it all is he will lose his right to own guns after they make him a felon, that way the state can protect us from people like him.[B)]

[beer]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:13:58 AM EDT
[#9]
This guy is fighting your fight. The least you  can do is open up your wallets and contribute to his expenses.  His action is long overdue, it will be a shame if it goes unsupported. The time for chatting is over, do something.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Excellent display for him.

The shame of it all is he will lose his right to own guns after they make him a felon, that way the state can protect us from people like him.[B)]

[beer]
View Quote

In many states, it's still only a misdemeanor to OPENLY carry a firearm, loaded or not.  Let's hope he picked his locale wisely.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#11]
In Idaho ccw without a licsense is only a misdemeanor.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Violation of Municipal codes is usually a Civil offense, a citation, not even a criminal offense.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Outstanding.

But where are all the Libertarian bashers? [rolleyes]
View Quote

Where does this holier than thou, superior attitude that I see in many Libertarians come from? This whole thread was people complimenting this guy on his brave stance and actions, and you want to piss on us. Smooth.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:21:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I went to the donation site. It is for his election. I don't want to donate to his election I want to donate to his defense. How do I do that?
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#17]
What kind of impact would this make if Stanley wins his case?
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Now there is a real patriot, willing to stand up for what he believes. How many of you would be willing to do the same? Wish I could have been there, I probably would have joined in.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Now there is a real patriot, willing to stand up for what he believes.
View Quote

He absolutely is.

How many of you would be willing to do the same?
View Quote

Again with that holier than thou attitude...and Libertarians wonder why people find it so difficult to get on board.

Wish I could have been there, I probably would have joined in.
View Quote

We'll never know, will we?
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:33:33 AM EDT
[#20]
whare was everyone when i blew the whistle a month ago?

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=72888[/url]

whare was the support then?
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:52:39 AM EDT
[#21]
OK, I'll say it- I think the guy's a nut. He holsters a gun after giving a campaign speech, gets "arrested" and then is home three hours later.  Pure symbolism.  If you or I, as *regular citizens* did this, we'd have a helluva time.  Would the news media pick it up or even care?  Look how much press the Jarbridge *incident* garnered, and that was ALOT of people in defiance of the Feds...

Ya gotta give him credit for guts... and for having enough money to pay good lawyers.  Please check out his website, read his platform, then decide what this stunt is worth.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 4:15:22 AM EDT
[#22]
the fact is he is in a public position, we need supporters in that type of position to give us the coverage we need for the cause.

nutz or not, he is makeing our cause noticed. and we should support him, and others like him.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:52:45 AM EDT
[#23]
And how much actual *real* media coverage did this stunt generate?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top