Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 5:09:06 PM EDT
I'm considering getting the LASIK procedure done. I know, I know, it's probably been covered in depth here, but I never paid much attention to the posts. I thought the cost would be out of reach for a while until I found out that my employer would basically loan me the money(interest free, at that!!!) and spread the payments out over 52 paychecks(I'm paid weekly) and the $$$ would be taken out of my check PRE-TAX. Too good to pass up, IMHO...

I'm doing other reasearch on the procedure as well, but I thought I would ask for real, first-hand accounts from others who enjoy shooting, like I do.

Any info would be appreciated. Even links to other posts about it would be welcome, also.

TIA!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#1]
had it done over a year ago. i was scared shitless before the surgery. like going blind your eyeballs will fallout, that kinda stuff.
i am so happy with the lasik. i can surf and see the swell coming in, no more broken galsses every 3 mos.
well worth the money. i have 20-20.

meat
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#2]
They will pop your eyeballs!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes...
Readers Digest version.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#4]
You've no doubt been to this site, correct?

www.lasikdisaster.com/
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had it done about 2.5 years ago. I can't believe how much a difference it made.
I have 20/10 in my left and 20/15 in my right eye. It made a huge difference in my rifle shooting with irons from when I wore corrective lenses. I expected the same sight picture, after lasik it is so much clearer and sharper. Looking through the irons at the 600 yd line is crisp and clear.

I had mine done by a larger eye hospital. Baptist Eye Hospital in Knoxville Tn. I paid more, but I got what I paid for.
Ask for references,  and call them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:26:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I had it done over a year ago.  Very glad I did it.  
I have 20/20 now.  No issues, no "starbursts" or night vision problems at all.  It did take about a month to fully settle in, though, meaning that my vision was immediately improved, but still a touch blurry , which slowly resolved itself.  
The only thing that freaked me out was the "burning hair" stench during the surgery.
Tips:
1) make sure the pool of doctors you are selecting from have the latest laser.  
2) once that list is established, look for a doctor who has done a lot of them.  
3) Don't shop for bargains.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I know there's always someone with an "I know a guy who...."  and here's mine:

An uncle had the procedure done and then immediately went almost blind in one eye, supposedly "completely unrelated to the LASIK procedure."

Whatever, I wouldn't do it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Wife just had it done, and she loves it. Very expensive though, she did not shop around and paid almost double what I've seen other people quote their surgery at.  I can't figure out if I'm lucky or unlucky yet though, now that she can finally get a good look at me no divorce papers yet.........
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#10]

I had it done 3 years ago.  My sister had it done 2 years ago.  I can't speak for my sister but she might see the post on here and come out of lurking to give her view of it.

Procedure took about 20 minutes total.  I was given valium before the procedure and eye drops to numb the eye movements.  Felt no pain during the procedure although the smell from your own eyes being burnt with a laser is interesting.  ;)  Eyesight improved immediately upon completion of the procedure.  

I had to wear clear plastic shields over my eyes for the rest of the day and night.  Wasn't allowed to use a computer during that day either but tv watching was ok.  Had to wear the eye shields to bed every night for the next two weeks to make sure I didn't rub my eyes while sleeping.

Follow up on the next day after surgery showed that my vision had gone from 20/400 left eye and 20/200 right eye to 20/20 left eye and 20/15 right eye.  Had no problems at all with night vision or halos or anything like that.

I highly recommend it as long as a decent doctor tells you that you are a viable candidate.  Avoid bargains and look for doctors who have done the procedure a lot.  I forget the exact number, but a few thousand procedures would probably be a good starting point.

I don't know what part of the country you're in, but if you're in the north east by any chance, I highly recommend Eye Health Services of Quincy, MA.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I had mine done at Saddleback Eye Center in Laguna Hills, CA.  Mine: 20/15 both eyes, wife: 20/10 both eyes.

Do it, but make sure the surgeon and the facility have a great reputation.

I don't know where you live, but people have come from all over the world to Saddleback for Dr. Manger to do the surgery.

Saddleback Eye Center

And after you have it done, use eye drops for as lonh as you need to.  Saddleback says Refresh Liquigel is the best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top