Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2003 5:28:40 PM EDT
hey guys.

Was cleaning out my closet the other day (please no jokes) and found a box of some old cigars I had completely forgotten about. They're actually a brand I enjoy, so it would be within my best interests to see if I can restore them.

That said, anybody know any simple methods to do that? I've heard so many different ways, from wet paper towel to tupperware in the fridge. I'd just like a simple idiot-proof method.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#1]
You should see if Monica Lewinski can help you out.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I always stuck them in a zip-loc baggie with a damp paper towel for a couple days...

The trick is, making sure it's not hot, or cold. Temperate seems to do the trick (say, around 75F)

Not wet...just damp. Soak the towel, wring it out, and there ya go.

Then again, I'm no expert in this art, so take it with a grain of salt [:)]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, first thing first.

The cigars are salvageable.  Don't toss them out.

Secondly, to restore them, you need to give them time.  Like 3-6 months to SLOWLY reabsorb moisture.

The Ziplock bagie advice is fine, but go easy on the water.

What brand BTW?

TRG
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Put them in a humidor and bring the humidity level up slowly. Sometimes if they are really dry, getting them up to proper moisture content levels to fast can split them.

70 degrees, 70 % humidity is a good average to bring them to.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Lewinsky aye? That'll get it all damp and moist...

if i use the damp paper towel method, should the paper towel be wrapped around the cigars? or just in the same bag with each other?

Brands, oh lets see.
A few ashtons, A three pack of maceo Dunhills (God i love those things. i'm so sad that Dunhill discontinued their cigar-line due to inconsistency, thats baloney if you ask me)
Some other assorted junk. And err, ahem. A five-pack of Monte-cristos that I bought in Japan duty-free shopping and brought back with me (cough cough, if you know what i mean)

That latter set is the one I'm really trying to restore...

Thanks for the quick feedback. You guys are wonderful.
It reminds me I'm not the only guy surfing through the forums all day.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:59:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Lewinsky aye? That'll get it all damp and moist...

if i use the damp paper towel method, should the paper towel be wrapped around the cigars? or just in the same bag with each other?

Brands, oh lets see.
A few ashtons, A three pack of maceo Dunhills (God i love those things. i'm so sad that Dunhill discontinued their cigar-line due to inconsistency, thats baloney if you ask me)
Some other assorted junk. And err, ahem. A five-pack of Monte-cristos that I bought in Japan duty-free shopping and brought back with me (cough cough, if you know what i mean)

That latter set is the one I'm really trying to restore...

Thanks for the quick feedback. You guys are wonderful.
It reminds me I'm not the only guy surfing through the forums all day.
View Quote

No, do NOT wrap them in a damp paper towel.

Go SLOW or you will split them.

TRG
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool,
thanks for the good advice
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top