Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2005 8:41:54 AM EDT
I have a 99 Ford Ranger (4cyl 2wd) with a manual transmission.  For years I was able to get by with running regular unleaded in it with no issues.  Over the last year or two I haven't been able to do it without problems.  If I run regular gasoline in it my engine makes a noise that sounds like ping-pong balls bouncing on a sheet of aluminum when I'm doing around 55-60 in fifth gear.  My little four banger doesn't have a lot of juice to it, and that speed is just a little high for fourth gear and a little low for fifth gear.  The problem is MUCH more noticeable if there is any kind of an incline (if I'm going up a really steep hill/mountain pass I basically have to slow down into third or fourth gear to keep the truck from making the noise).

I presume that is what is known as "pinging".  If I run higher octane gas it is far less noticeable (but still there).  I'm coming up on 100K miles on the truck.  I recently changed the spark plugs and set them to the proper gap but that didn't really help the problem.  So, any ideas what I can do fix the problem?  I'd like to be able to run regular unleaded again...

I'm guessing it may have something to do with the oxygen sensor, but I don't really know what the hell I'm talking about and it's just a wild guess on my part (I don't know all that much about cars).  Anything else I should be looking at?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Could be timing or timeing belt,  could be the gas, could be the valvetrain, ya may have busted a valve spring.

I would put some Octane boost in there and give it a tune up (plugs , wires, dist. cap and rotor, oil, filter, pvc filter, air filter, carb cleaner, etc)

I see ya changed the plugs already. being 99 im not sure if its O2, usually youll get a check engine light or a code if that was the case.

Not make ya sound like a dummy, but ya got the plug wires on correctly?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:06:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Not make ya sound like a dummy, but ya got the plug wires on correctly?

Yup.  The truck was making the noise before I changed the plugs/wires.  I was hoping that would fix things but it didn't really seem to help at all.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:24:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
www.berrysweb.com/clean_your_maf.htm

Goddamn I love Arfcom.  Thanks for the link, I'll give that a try.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:30:40 AM EDT
[#5]
i'd say the timing needs to be checked.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#6]
carbon deposits on the intake valves.
partially blocked/dirty injectors.
incorrect valve timing.
weak timing belt.
a multitude of electronic failures.

Gary
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top