Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2010 11:43:10 AM EDT
I installed these countertops a couple years ago.  I screwed up measuring (yes yes I know measure twice cut once!!).  Anyway, I have about a 3/4 inch gap on each side of the stove.  I'm looking for an easy way to fill this gap that will also make the wife happy.  

I know the obvious solution would be to replace the countertops but I'm trying to avoid doing that.  Any suggestions to fill the gap?

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Why not try extending your 1/4 round you have on top of your backsplash down the sides of the countertop?  Think that'd be the cheapest solution.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Why not try extending your 1/4 round you have on top of your backsplash down the sides of the countertop?  Think that'd be the cheapest solution.

That's what was going to say.

GM

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 12:23:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Some moulding would fill that gap and cover up the ugly unfinished edge of the contertops.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#4]

slide stove out and and place a piece of  3/4 oak to the edge of the countertop, mark with a pencil the rounded edges to cut. After cutting glue and trim nail the oak to the edge of the countertop then place a piece of painters tape along the edge of the laminate and sand the oak to level and profile (with the tape you will be able to see when you are sanding to the laminate) Finish as needed with stain and poly
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

slide stove out and and place a piece of  3/4 oak to the edge of the countertop, mark with a pencil the rounded edges to cut. After cutting glue and trim nail the oak to the edge of the countertop then place a piece of painters tape along the edge of the laminate and sand the oak to level and profile (with the tape you will be able to see when you are sanding to the laminate) Finish as needed with stain and poly

Excellent suggestion.

One variation on that would be to paint or stain that piece of wood in jet black.  That way you wouldn't have countertop material, then oak, then black.  You would have countertop material, then black.  I would use poplar over oak if you did black, the grain is tighter.

I would use a router with a bearing to do the final trim though.  Still use blue tape to prevent any type of burning if the guide ends up spinning.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the most aesthetically pleasing suggestion has already been offered. In case someone is reading that doesn't feel they have the skill to pull that off, they do make these for that purpose:

I didn't say that they look good, just that they are out there.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think the most aesthetically pleasing suggestion has already been offered. In case someone is reading that doesn't feel they have the skill to pull that off, they do make these for that purpose:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51rZaTE9DQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!!  Some good ones for sure!!

I'm gonna order this stove top extender and see how it looks and works.  If it doesn't work, then I'm gonna try one of the other ideas mentioned.  

Thanks!!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#8]
i'd just cover the little bit of unfinished edge and call it a day!  
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:06:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51rZaTE9DQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!!  Some good ones for sure!!

I'm gonna order this stove top extender and see how it looks and works.  If it doesn't work, then I'm gonna try one of the other ideas mentioned.  

Thanks!!!!

If it doesn't come in the proper color, rough it up and spray paint it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I think a couple of steel rods on either side of the stove would be an excellent and functional way to fill those gaps.

Think of them as "run lines" for the wife's wrist irons to slide on.

Wife has greater mobility in the kitchen for better cookings, and yet not so much freedom that she starts getting upity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top