So I bought this :link

They sent me:

6 oz. of centennial hops
1 oz. of yakima magnum hops
1 oz. of cascade hops
2 oz of warrior hops
the grains
and no yeast

why the hell did they send so much hops? By the ingrediants list they should have sent like half of that. And why didn't they send yeast. Hopefully the grocery store has yeast, but how do I use all these hops???

Here is another link that may help you answer me. link
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:27:34 AM EST
You don't want to use bread yeast. You'll need either top or bottom yeast depending on what beer you are brewing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:31:08 AM EST
Also, depending on the brew you're making, you add the different hops in at different times. Personally, I would go with a bottom fermenting yeast with that level of hops.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:33:23 AM EST
I figured it all out. I ordered three kits. They gave me all three yeast packets in one kit and they accidentally gave me twice the hops for one of the kits. Now all I need is cheese cloth to wrap the grains,
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:34:43 AM EST
I am brewing a kit from NorthernBrewer right now.

I think they fucked up your order plain and simple.

Do not brew anything, call them (they are open today) and tell them what is up. They will make it right by sending you what you need.

If you try to brew now they will not replace the stuff that the DID send you.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:35:19 AM EST
Sounds like a Double IPA with all those Warrior hops. What did you order and from where?

I use bread yeast (Flieshmans) to make mead all of the time. I don't think it will work for beer. Wait until you can get some nottingham or safeale from the HBS...
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:35:47 AM EST
Ohhhhh, now it makes sense.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:36:18 AM EST
Buy some liquid Wyeast
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:42:52 AM EST
Originally Posted By jimdicks:
Buy some liquid Wyeast

Yea, the SmackPacks are awesome!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:53:05 AM EST

Originally Posted By jimdicks:
Buy some liquid Wyeast

/Thread

You can use the included yeast and make a beer that is very good. But after over 2 years of home brewing and people telling me I should be using liquid yeast I finally said I will try it.
If you ask me the one thing that makes a great beer an awesome beer I will tel you yeast. You can take two wheat kits and use an American wheat yeast on one and a Belgium yeast on the other and get entirely two different beers. My favorite oatmeal stout was tons better with liquid yeast. I always ask my Homebrewing store owner which one works best. He has been doing this forever. He offers both the Smack pack and the Tube. Either work awesome I have never had a problem even when making high gravity beers like a Russian Imperial Stout. The only difference is that you have to let the smack pack warm up a little to get going no big deal.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:36:14 AM EST
This kit has way more grains than I have ever used. I can barely fit the bag in the pot. hope it turns out ok.
Top Top