Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 5:47:50 PM EDT
I am wanting to purchase a travel trailer, for family vacations. That would sleep 4. (Me, Wife, & 2 Kids) I own a 2002 Chevy Z71 1/2 ton. What size trailer could I pull safetly with this truck? The truck is stock. I am planning on putting air bags under the rear.
What would be better 5th wheel or bumper pull?
Just thought I would ask the Board, cause the trailer dealers will sell you anything.
Any input would be welcome.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Read your owner's manual. It will tell you everything you need to know. Maximum tongue weight, pulling weight, etc. for your engine/tranny/rear end combo.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Look in the book that came with the truck, or on the manufacturer's website. Find the towing capacity.

If it is (say) 7,000lbs remember a couple of things:

* The weight of trailers is specified empty -- you will add bedding, plates, forks, knifes, food, water, books, TV, ... all sorts of stuff. So make allowance for that.

* Don't try to go right up to the limit. Remember that vehicle manufacturers are like trailer manufacturers, and the weight limit is TOTAL weight, which includes all the crap you have in the truck -- like passengers etc.

* Running under the (real) limit will make a difference when on steep hills, in windy conditions etc.

So, if your truck capacity is (say) 7,000lbs, you should probably be looking at trailers in the 5,500 to 6,000lbs range.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#3]
its all in the owners manual...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top