Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2001 11:36:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#1]
best thing you can do for her is remove the POS netscape and use outlook express and explorer.  netscape is crap!

[beer]

I quit using netscape back when version 4 was out because it was shit then too!
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#2]
if you mean to enter the password then it is in the properties seletion, then highlight mail  in the column to the left.

if you mean how do you CHANGE that password, you CAN'T.

The password is assigned by your provider adn it has nothing to do with N6.  You need to contact the provider and have it changed (some you can change online or by SSH, but hat may be more than you are looking for.)

Effictively if her account is

username [email protected]
password: puppies name

than the only passowrd you can enter into N^ is puppies name.  N^ can not chnage it.

hope this helps.

Zaz
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#3]
sorry, I can't help you either. I'd just cut my losses and switch.

I've never used 6. I stopped using it after 4.7. Always hated IE, but then netscape cost me too much time and frustration from crashing all the time. Not to mention it takes longer than photoshop to start up.

Anybody remember when netscape release a new version (in the 4.7 range, I think) and the great new innovation that would cause everyone to download it was a 'shop' button?
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 1:04:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 1:55:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't think there is a place to put in a password for mail.  In the Netscape preferences check the advanced/password section.  Click the "view all passwords" button, and see if there is a password saved for an email address.  I do not have one on mine.

If she changes her password with the ISP, Netscape should get an error when checking mail.  When the password fails, it *should* prompt her for a new password.  This is a bit risky, because N6 sucks.  It could just keep denying her, and you'll have to delete and re-install.  Only way to know for sure is to change her email address to a phoney one, and see if it asks for a password.  Then change it back, and it should ask for the old password.  Since she forgot it, she is stuck.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#7]
eudora pro will let you send email through multiple accounts. I believe you can get a full featured free version if you put up with ads in eudora.  Otherwise, it's about $30 -$40 but still worth it. Eudora seems to have a lot fewer virus problems that outlook express has, as a bonus.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#9]
NUTSCRAPE 6 sux the big one!!!!

I downloaded it by mistake and now I can't get rid of it.  It won't allow me to download 4.7 or whatever the newest 4. is. Can't view alot of things with it either.

Reminds me of a bugger that just can't be thumped away.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
best thing you can do for her is remove the POS netscape and use outlook express and explorer.
View Quote

Ah, yes, Outlook.  Do you suggest the virus-enabled version or the virus-enabled-and-autoexecuting version?

I suppose one could go with the virus-enabled-and-autoexecuting-and-autoforwarding version of Outlook(*), which is how it gets installed [red]by default[/red], but what can I say, I like to forward viruses to everyone in my "address book" manually for that nice personal touch.
[moon]
(*) formerly known as "Exchange" until they noticed that "MS-Exchange" could be mistyped as "M-SExchange".

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/soapbox.gif[/img]
BTW, Bill Gates mostly supports (financially at least) Democrats, and donated some of his pocket change toward the I-676 "license all gun owners" initiative here in Washington a few years ago at his father's insistence.  Several of his company's executives also helped both financially and personally to push that little initiative to restrict Washington state gunowners' rights.  So keep right on voting with your pocketbook.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top