Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/11/2004 10:38:25 AM EST
Well I am pretty PO'D about this.

I work at an aircraft plant in Nashville. This plant is schelduled to relocate to Texas. I have decided to not relocate with the work. I have decided to go back to college to finish the degree
that i started years ago and never finished.

That being said. I am retaking English Comp. My professor is making us watch Bowling for Columbine and write a Thesis on this POS "doccumentry".

I have not seen the movie as of yet. Is there anyting or anywhere on the net i can go and dispell alot of the BS that this movie will put out.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Todd

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:44:22 AM EST
Suck and it up and see the movie, if required.

It cannot be worse than the English comp. professor I had who made us read and report on a book about this homo kid who blew his band teacher and then went on for three paragraphs describing the taste and texture of jizz.

Like there is no agenda with these guys.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:52:26 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/11/2004 10:53:22 AM EST by batchman]
And i thought i had it bad.

I know it is all about jumping through the hoops but the agenda from these people
is making me see red.

I just finished reading Walden. I thought it was bad and then now this.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:57:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/11/2004 10:57:45 AM EST by the]

Originally Posted By batchman:

I work at an aircraft plant in Nashville. This plant is schelduled to relocate to Texas. I have decided to not relocate with the work. I have decided to go back to college to finish the degree

That being said. I am retaking English Comp. My professor is making us watch Bowling for Columbine and write a Thesis on this POS "doccumentry".

I have not seen the movie as of yet. Is there anyting or anywhere on the net i can go and dispell alot of the BS that this movie will put out.

Is there? This POS has been debunked into oblivion:

www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:58:14 AM EST

Originally Posted By mattja:
Suck and it up and see the movie, if required.

It cannot be worse than the English comp. professor I had who made us read and report on a book about this homo kid who blew his band teacher and then went on for three paragraphs describing the taste and texture of jizz.

Like there is no agenda with these guys.

Maybe he was throwing out the "vibe."
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:03:11 AM EST

Todd

No offense - but why not just do the assignment?

As I understand (from your explanation) you are supposed to watch the movie and then write about your reaction to it - maybe I'm wrong. What does "thesis" mean in this context? (i.e. what exactly is the assignment).

If he wants you to watch it and write a paper about your reaction, and argue a position, then do so. Part of what you are supposed to be learning is probably critical thinkiing and clear communication. If you just parrot a bunch of stuff that other people looked up for you, you're probably not getting as much out of the class as you could be.

Plus - the english prof probably doesn't give a rat's ass about your actual opinion - he just wants to make you think about it and write.

Just my opinion - worth what you paid for it.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:11:10 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/11/2004 11:14:02 AM EST by raven]
Make this your thesis:

Moore starts the movie ridiculing the social conservatives' claim that the killers massacred their classmates because of a breakdown in moral values shown in entertainment from movies, tv, and video games.

Michael Moore (rightfully) calls that absurd, and says that it makes as much sense as blaming bowling, an activity the killers engaged in a few hours earlier, for the killings.

Why then does Michael Moore then go and blame similarly unrelated aspects of American society, such as militarism, racism, Lockheed Martin, and the fear mongering of the media, to explain the attacks in Columbine? He's making the exact same ridiculous claim the social conservatives he mocks did, except through a lens of politically correct leftism.

Then ask why Michael Moore, playing the fallacious blame game of the social conservatives, blames the masscare on a host of things, but never once blames the actual killers or holds them responsible for their actions? Conclude your essay with the assertion that the two psychopaths are to blame for murdering 19 people that morning in 1999, and no one else.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:14:21 AM EST

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

Todd

No offense - but why not just do the assignment?

As I understand (from your explanation) you are supposed to watch the movie and then write about your reaction to it - maybe I'm wrong. What does "thesis" mean in this context? (i.e. what exactly is the assignment).

If he wants you to watch it and write a paper about your reaction, and argue a position, then do so. Part of what you are supposed to be learning is probably critical thinkiing and clear communication. If you just parrot a bunch of stuff that other people looked up for you, you're probably not getting as much out of the class as you could be.

Plus - the english prof probably doesn't give a rat's ass about your actual opinion - he just wants to make you think about it and write.

Just my opinion - worth what you paid for it.

Thanks DK-Prof
I had not thought of it that way. I had gotten cought up in the emotion of the fact
he was pushing the liberal agenda.

Thanks again
Top Top