Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/10/2006 10:10:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/15/2006 6:26:26 AM EDT by pyro6988]
I changed some of the Domain and Local Policy settings on the domain server.

I now cannot logon to the server locally or remotely using the administrator account. I also can not logon using my account which is a member of the administrators group.

The message I get when trying to logon is:

"The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively"

I need help. Any suggesitons?

ETA: Windows 2000 server SP4

ETA2: Giving up for today. I will fight with it on Monday.

UPDATE

In the last two days I have spent 12 hours on the phone with Microsoft's Enterprise tech support.

I worked 11 hours on Monday and 12 hours on Tuesday.

Monday: To be able to get into the server they had me start it in Directory Service Restore Mode which is accessed the same as safe mode, F8 when starting up. This only works on Domain dontrollers.

Once we finially got in they worked on editing the domain policy file. Some how they said the policy was corrupted. Everything seemed to be working good so I left for the day.

Tuesday: I came in and tried to log into our citrix server and recieved the same message. "Can not logon interactively" I suspected the the domain policy wasn't being distributed to the servers and workstations. After 8.5 hours straight on the phone with Microsoft without being placed on hold. They discovered that the domain policy wasn't replicating between the two domain servers.

Hopefully this is the end of this nightmare.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:26:10 AM EDT
Have you tried logging on the local machine admin account, rather than as domain admin?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:35:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By thedave1164:
Have you tried logging on the local machine admin account, rather than as domain admin?

It is a domain server with active directory. How can there be a local admin account that isn't in the active directory?

I am trying to logon using "administrator".
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:41:47 AM EDT

"logon interactively" means to log on the system at that system's local keyboard and monitor.

I looks like you may have disabled the ADMIN group's ability to log on interactively.
Have you tried to log on over the network?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:47:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HBruns:
"logon interactively" means to log on the system at that system's local keyboard and monitor.

I looks like you may have disabled the ADMIN group's ability to log on interactively.
Have you tried to log on over the network?

I have tried logging in with RDP and get the same message.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:49:55 AM EDT
I don't know much about that proprietary Microsoft crap, but I do know that if you unplug the network cable before you turn-on the system that you can usually login then. We have five customers that all use the same computer contractor that won't tell them the superuser password, but we can still login if we unplug the cable and reboot. Perfect example of Microsoft "security."z
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:08:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By zoom:
I don't know much about that proprietary Microsoft crap, but I do know that if you unplug the network cable before you turn-on the system that you can usually login then. We have five customers that all use the same computer contractor that won't tell them the superuser password, but we can still login if we unplug the cable and reboot. Perfect example of Microsoft "security."z

Tried it no luck
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:39:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2006 11:47:32 AM EDT by HBruns]
Try loggin on in "Safe Mode"?

EDIT:
Also - RDP is close to an interactive login and I'm not surprised that would not work. Try adding another computer to its domain, then use the MMC tools to remotely administer the DC.

EDIT #2:
Don't forget to log on that 2nd machine as the Domain Admin.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:41:43 AM EDT

tried that too......same result
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:44:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pyro6988:

tried that too......same result

OK - I edited my last reply. Tried that yet?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:49:47 AM EDT
c:\format
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:08:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hardcase:

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:08:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hardcase:

if you have nothing helpfull to post please don't waste his time
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:24:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2006 2:25:30 PM EDT by Hectic]
ummm..... Reset the admin account.

http://www.loginrecovery.com/

if that doesn't work, kick it. Always makes me feel better.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:27:47 AM EDT
bump for update
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:33:13 AM EDT

bump for update

I'm curious, cuz I work in AD everyday on 2KS as well. What were the "changes" that you made that "F'ed" everything up?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:44:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MormonComputerZ:

bump for update

I'm curious, cuz I work in AD everyday on 2KS as well. What were the "changes" that you made that "F'ed" everything up?

Deny logon to the administrators group.
Top Top