Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/18/2009 5:48:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2009 7:15:41 PM EST by YFC]
Can someone explain to me how to use this convoluted leather sling with hooks, or link me to an explanation?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:49:49 PM EST
yep give me half a second
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:53:37 PM EST
Originally Posted By Gunwritr:

Thank you so much. I know it's idiotic, but I can't figure out the damn thing for the life of me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:53:39 PM EST
Here is a segment of an article I wrote

While it seems hard to believe that a strap of leather or cotton web can add support, it does indeed. It accomplishes this by forming your non-dominant arm and the rifle into a inverted triangle. The sling attaches above your bicep and runs to the upper sling swivel. This allows your arm to form a 'V', with your elbow resting on the ground or other support, but limits your forearm's forward travel. The sling effectively limits how wide the 'V' can open, depending upon its length. The rifle becomes the top portion of the triangle. The key is to have the sling too short for the rifle to fit easily. In the case of our triangle illustration, the 'V' must be forced open and the top piece wedged in, making the fit extremely tight and removing any movement. The end result is a rifle tightly wedged into your shoulder with no movement. How tight? One unaccustomed to using a shooting sling will find it uncomfortable at first. This is normal. With regular practice you'll soon come to appreciate the feel of a tightly slung rifle.

1: Perhaps the oldest and most respected sling design still in widespread use is the leather military two piece M1907 gun sling. While almost 100 years old this relatively simple design is still the benchmark by which all others are measured. It was originally intended to allow an infantryman to utilize the then new U.S. Rifle Caliber .30 M1903 Springfield to its fullest potential. It did this by bridging the gap between the simple loop competition slings used by target shooters and the common carrying strap. The M1907 worked so well that it soon became hugely popular with hunters and target shooters as well.
Although the M1907 sling design looks complicated, with a little practice you'll find it simple to use. The sling itself consists of two unequal length pieces of thick 1 1/4" wide leather, and two leather 'keepers'. The long piece (Long End) has a two pronged metal hook (Top Hook) attached at one end and two rows of adjustment holes run its length. The short piece (Short End) has a hook (Short Hook) on one end, adjustment holes, and a metal loop on the other. The metal loop joins the long and short pieces together and the sling's length is adjusted by snapping the hooks into the various holes in the sling.

2To get into the loop sling (loop up), begin by placing the rifle's butt on your right hip (if you are a right handed shooter) and cradle it in the crook of your arm. Next, loosen the sling by disengaging the Short End Hook from the Long End and hooking it back into one of the holes in the Short End. Then unhook the Top Hook and lengthen the Long End down to about the rifle's triggerguard. Then refasten the Top Hook a few holes in from the end of the Long End's strap (which holes give the proper length you must learn through trial and error). Push the bottom leather keeper up towards the Top Hook. This will make a loop large enough to put your arm through.

3Then give the sling loop a quarter turn to the left, and insert your arm. The quarter turn is important to ensure the sling lies flat against your hand when you are in position.

4Push the loop high on the arm above the bicep muscle and secure it there by pulling the lower leather keeper down so that it's firmly against the arm. Rotate the sling so that the Top Hook abuts firmly against the lower leather keeper and the upper leather keeper locks the Top Hook in place.

5Next slip the left hand between the sling and the rifle, grasping the rifle just below the upper sling swivel. If you did everything right the sling should lie flat against the back of the hand and wrist. The Short End of the sling should be loose with no tension on it.

6The sling MUST be tight enough that you have to literally force the rifle's butt into your shoulder. When the M14 rifle was in common use by the military shooting teams it was not unheard of to have so much sling tension that the leather slings broke, or the front sling swivel ripped out. Yes, you want it tight! While a light sporter doesn't require this amount of sling tension, it still needs to be tight enough that the butt must be forced into the shoulder. If this amount of tension is not on the weapon the sling is not being utilized correctly. If the sling is too loose, or too tight, adjust the length by moving the Top Hook to a different set of adjustment holes and then get back into position. Without the proper amount of tension the sling has little or no stabilizing effect. Remember, if it's not tight, it's not right!

Hope this helps!

Just make sure it is TIGHT!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:54:37 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:55:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By YFC:

Thank you so much. I know it's idiotic, but I can't figure out the damn thing for the life of me.

You are not an idiot, it's like anything else, you need to read the instruction manual, and you don't have one.
Glad to help. I'll see if I can dig up some pics......

best

Dave F.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:57:29 PM EST
Here are some pics from how the Army did it back in the day

M1907 sling
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:58:24 PM EST
Thanks a ton!!! Wow, that's very written. I've got some reading to do now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:59:51 PM EST
here's a video

M1907 sling video

keep in mind there are a couple ways the sling can be rigged. A lot of High Power shooters will do
it a bit different than the military to make it easier to adjust while in position.

Good luck and good shooting!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:02:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2009 6:03:34 PM EST by USMC88-93]
There is a portion of the beginning of this WW2 Training film on the Garand that deals with the sling. right about 5 minutes in he is adjusting it on his arm.
http://www.archive.org/details/Rifle_Marksmanship_with_M1_Rifle_Part_1
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:10:26 PM EST
Here's another tip,

If you have a GI sling keep in mind that they will stretch quite a bit if you are actually using it hard. GI slings only lasted
a season or two with me before I broke them. They do break. Also make sure you treat it and take care of it, especially if it
get wet. They can crack and then break between the adjustment holes. I've had maybe 3 or 4 do that.
The best sling for competition use is a Turner. The downside to the Turner on a field gun is they are heavy and can be slow to
adjust until they are broken in.

The most common mistake people make when using a sling is not having it tight enough. During a 20 shot slow fire string on the
600 yard line my left arm will frequently go numb around shot 10-12. I run my sling tighter on the rapids because you are only going
to be in position for 60/70 seconds, so who cares. I loosen it up a tad for slow fire.

Being able to properly use a sling is a great tool to have. I have taken A LOT of game in the field with a sling as my only support.
It provides a lot of self confidence. Glad to see someone looking to learn.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:24:12 PM EST
Here's another tip,

If you have a GI sling keep in mind that they will stretch quite a bit if you are actually using it hard. GI slings only lasted
a season or two with me before I broke them. They do break. Also make sure you treat it and take care of it, especially if it
get wet. They can crack and then break between the adjustment holes. I've had maybe 3 or 4 do that.
The best sling for competition use is a Turner. The downside to the Turner on a field gun is they are heavy and can be slow to
adjust until they are broken in.

The most common mistake people make when using a sling is not having it tight enough. During a 20 shot slow fire string on the
600 yard line my left arm will frequently go numb around shot 10-12. I run my sling tighter on the rapids because you are only going
to be in position for 60/70 seconds, so who cares. I loosen it up a tad for slow fire.

Being able to properly use a sling is a great tool to have. I have taken A LOT of game in the field with a sling as my only support.
It provides a lot of self confidence. Glad to see someone looking to learn.

Again, thanks for the words and video guides. I appreciate it. I never really looked as a sling as anything other than something to put on my shoulder and carry the gun. This is quite fascinating.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:27:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2009 6:44:05 PM EST by Gunwritr]
Originally Posted By USMC88-93:
There is a portion of the beginning of this WW2 Training film on the Garand that deals with the sling. right about 5 minutes in he is adjusting it on his arm.
http://www.archive.org/details/Rifle_Marksmanship_with_M1_Rifle_Part_1

this is very good info on both the use of the sling and position shooting.
A lot of good stuff here

ETA
When they are discussing the sitting position I much prefer crossed ankle.
But sitting is probably the hardest position for most to build properly. I highly
suggest trying cross ankle though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:29:28 PM EST

Again, thanks for the words and video guides. I appreciate it. I never really looked as a sling as anything other than something to put on my shoulder and carry the gun. This is quite fascinating.

Glad to hear you find it useful.

No BS, I have shot 1 inch groups at 200 yards with my AR Spacegun, diopter match sights prone with a sling...a sling is a great tool if you know how to use it.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:30:40 PM EST
Since we have this thread going now, might as well ask it here...

I've seen mixed opinions on the leather vs. "biothane" 1907 sling debate. Anybody care to interject their thoughts here?

(I am currently starting to get into highpower at the suggestion of a friend of mine, who has shot it for many years... I know the basics, and am just beginning to order good, proper gear)
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:39:56 PM EST
Originally Posted By Walkure:
Since we have this thread going now, might as well ask it here...

I've seen mixed opinions on the leather vs. "biothane" 1907 sling debate. Anybody care to interject their thoughts here?

(I am currently starting to get into highpower at the suggestion of a friend of mine, who has shot it for many years... I know the basics, and am just beginning to order good, proper gear)

I have used both and on a service rifle would go with biothane as it requires no maintenance.
Don't look down your nose at the inexpensive cotton web M1 gun sling either. These work great for only a few bucks.
Get a good jacket, a couple sweat shirts to wear under it, a 1980s era sweat band to keep the sweat out of your eyes and
keep a towel with you to wipe the sweat off your face and off the stock. Get a good log book, but if you in the 10 ring or shooting
Xs shoot and plot your shots after.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:53:59 PM EST
Great topic, I've been wondering this for a while and just never got around to searching, those damn slings are like a mobius strip

ummm....cool story dibs on your 87 geese +1fuck Obama......yeah, Glenn Beck shot my dog

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:59:40 PM EST
Don't look down your nose at the inexpensive cotton web M1 gun sling either. These work great for only a few bucks.

Yep, that's what I have for the time being. They really do work well. The jacket and all is still to come, but I plan on having everything together by next spring. (Already put together a new USPSA Limited rig this summer, and wasn't expecting to be dropping another big load of cash for a while, so my service rifle setup will have to come over time...)
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:14:51 PM EST
I haven't practiced with it or anything... but here she is, with the sling attached at least!

I intend on reading all the posted info so I can learn how to properly use the sling, but at least I finally was able to install it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:24:49 PM EST
I haven't practiced with it or anything... but here she is, with the sling attached at least!

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy183/haraplane/IMG_0814.jpg

I intend on reading all the posted info so I can learn how to properly use the sling, but at least I finally was able to install it.

YFC
Dude! That rifle is outstanding!
Man, you will have a metric shit ton of fun with that!!
Love it!

Let us know how it shoots!!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:26:46 PM EST

YFC
Love it!

Thanks... I ditched the Weaver scope because everyone I talked to told me it was basically a tube designed to hold rain water, but I put an ancient scope on it to keep the character, and added the fabric based off of a picture I saw. You know honestly, if I managed to learn the sling stuff and can shoot well enough with it, it might become my camping gun. 1903's are very well balanced and comfortable. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:29:23 PM EST

the sling is on all wrong.........but hey, it's on the rifle.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:30:41 PM EST

Is that the Gibbs 1903A4 replica you were asking about last week?

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:32:12 PM EST

the sling is on all wrong.........but hey, it's on the rifle.....

dang it... well I'm one step in the right direction, it's ON the rifle!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:33:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By GI-45:

Yea. I was WAY over complicating the scope issue. It turned out the base that came on worked with standard rings. I had no idea that old of a design was still in use.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:34:50 PM EST

Yea. I was WAY over complicating the scope issue. It turned out the base that came on worked with standard rings. I had no idea that old of a design was still in use.

Looks awesome. Congrats on your purchase.

Here's another image you may find useful:

http://carnival.saysuncle.com/images/M1907%20Sling%20Assembled%20on%20Rifle,%20.30%20M1.jpg

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:35:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By 444:
Here

take a close look at this pic

hooks go away from the gun, short strap goes though the swivel on the butt.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:36:24 PM EST

Looks awesome. Congrats on your purchase.

Here's another image you may find useful:

http://carnival.saysuncle.com/images/M1907%20Sling%20Assembled%20on%20Rifle,%20.30%20M1.jpg

Yep, this should be the key to the church for yah, perfect picture........
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:37:02 PM EST
Originally Posted By 444:
Here

take a close look at this pic

hooks go away from the gun, short strap goes though the swivel on the butt.

hahaha wow... I really did botch it. Working on it now
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:40:17 PM EST

YFC
Love it!

Thanks... I ditched the Weaver scope because everyone I talked to told me it was basically a tube designed to hold rain water, but I put an ancient scope on it to keep the character, and added the fabric based off of a picture I saw. You know honestly, if I managed to learn the sling stuff and can shoot well enough with it, it might become my camping gun. 1903's are very well balanced and comfortable. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

It would make a great camping rifle. I love my M1903A3. I am really interested to see how your rifle shoots.
Looks great.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:46:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2009 7:47:11 PM EST by GI-45]

You may also want to consider a Lyman Alaskan (known as the "M81" to the Army), which replaced the Weavers towards the end of the war:

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=139450520

The Lymans were much more weather-resistant.

Top Top