Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2006 10:05:21 AM EDT
I took my Garand shooting the other day. It ran through one clip just fine. On the second clip, it fired one round then jammed.

I cannot open the bolt. The operating rod has jumped out of its track in the receiver:

Anyone know how to fix this?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:06:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#2]
take it to a gunsmith!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#3]

You might have to take it to a " smith " to get it apart . Can't tell from your pic .
 The lug on the op rod is probably worn . These can be rebuilt pretty reasonably .
Just had mine done by Jim Swartz .  If you'r interested , I have his e-mail address around here someplace .
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Get a big rubber mallet and smack that bitch until it opens.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Remove the trigger group and the lower stock.  Remove the recoil spring.

With the stock and spring removed, you can manually reconnect the bolt and op rod, and put the op rod back in its track.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:29:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

With the stock and spring removed, you can manually reconnect the bolt and op rod, and put the op rod back in its track.

So I can do this even though the bolt is jammed closed and there is a loaded clip in the magazine? I don't even know if there is a live round in the chamber or not.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So I can do this even though the bolt is jammed closed and there is a loaded clip in the magazine? I don't even know if there is a live round in the chamber or not.

Since its loaded.. TAKE IT TO A GUNSMITH! We do not need you shot!!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:36:12 AM EDT
[#8]
holy crap  i would cry if my m1a did that.   be careful
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#9]
complete loss.   mail it to me and I'll gladly dispose of it for you.

IM me for mailing address.

*fake edit*

AFTER you get the rounds out.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:43:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I can just see UPS dropping the box, then BANG! I wonder who's ass would be on the line
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

*fake edit*

AFTER you get the rounds out.  

[Nelson] HA HA! [Nelson] Beat the edit.

Maybe not in time, but without the extra info
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1

Of course, you may have to

Quoted:
Get a big rubber mallet and smack that bitch until it opens.

Which is what a gunsmith would do.

M1's are pretty rugged. They can take some abuse.

Basically, once you free her up, you just gotta fiddle with it till you get teh op rod back in its track.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Look at the hammer.  If it is cocked, it is loaded.  You can see the hammer in the opening just below the sight on the right side of the receiver.  If it is visable, it is not cocked.

If not cocked= not loaded.  So, remove the trigger group, then no way it can even drop the hammer.

Field strip and remove oprod.

Rotate bolt out of locking lugs and ease it back, the brass will follow.

Once you get this far, come back and post and I will help walk you thru why it did this.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I took my Garand shooting the other day. It ran through one clip just fine. On the second clip, it fired one round then jammed.

Note the correct usage of the term "clip."

sniff.....sniffff....its a beautiful thing.......

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Lets resume this discussion in the M1 forum in the Armory area, I will never be able to find it in general.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Remove gas plug.
Remove gas cylinder lock.
Gently tap the gas cylinder forward to free the piston end of the op rod.

The lug on the op rod that rides in the slot on the right side of the receiver is probably too worn to stay in the slot.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Lets resume this discussion in the M1 forum in the Armory area, I will never be able to find it in general.

I am going to cross post this there...
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Is this what happens when you shoot hunting ammo through a Garand?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:30:44 AM EDT
[#19]
have we established if the hammer is forward or still lacked back, thus letting the owner know if he has a live and potentially dangerous round in the chamber?

If it were my M1 that had this problem, I would check the hammer for position, and then proceed with pulling out the trigger group and gas system.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Is this what happens when you shoot hunting ammo through a Garand?

I was shooting M2 Ball from the CMP.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#21]
This same damn thing happened to me when I was shoooting my Garand for the second time.  It went back together just fine, but I never shot Korean ammo again.  And I've never had another malfunction.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
have we established if the hammer is forward or still lacked back, thus letting the owner know if he has a live and potentially dangerous round in the chamber?

If it were my M1 that had this problem, I would check the hammer for position, and then proceed with pulling out the trigger group and gas system.

The hammer is forward, I think. I will post a pic in a second.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Just field strip it.  I had the same thing happen.  It is not jammed; it is under tension and is awkward because it has jumped the rail.  Once you remove the return spring you can pull it back real easy and slide it back in.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

...Rotate bolt out of locking lugs and ease it back, the brass will follow....

My "beater" Garand did this once.  I had to to tap on a locking lug with a brass rod to get the bolt to rotate out.

Turned out to be a simple lubrication problem.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Just field strip it.  I had the same thing happen.  It is not jammed; it is under tension and is awkward because it has jumped the rail.  Once you remove the return spring you can pull it back real easy and slide it back in.

Agreed, but before he unlocks the TG, he needs to know if it has a live one in the pipe.

Unlocking the TG will cock the hammer.

I am 90% sure it is unloaded, but should make sure.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Yup, hammer is forward.

Field strip, remove  follower rod and spring, oprod should remove easily as it is dismounted.  No need to remove gas cyl

Report when done

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Tag!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top