Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2005 4:19:13 PM EDT
I am working on a friends computer and want to hook it up so I can download some updates and drivers from the net over my DSL connection.  I have never hooked Win 98 computers to a network and can't figure it out.  Can someone help me out?

Thanks!
Eric
Echap
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure the IP address is set to DHCP, that is if your router is assigning DHCP.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Where do you set that at in Win 98?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't touched 98 in a looooong time. Maybe someone else can chime in...

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll handle this one...

First, you do have a 10/100 Ethernet card installed, right?

Right click Network Neighborhood on your desktop, or go into Control Panel and double click Network.

Scroll down to the TCP/IP connections in the list.  One should be for Dial Up Adapter, and the other will be your 10/100 Ethernet card.

When you have identified the TCP/IP item that is your 10/100 device, doubleclick on it.

On the IP Address tab, check "Obtain IP address automatically".  

You may have to enter DNS numbers if supplied by your ISP.  If so, on the DNS Config tab, click Enable DNS, and enter these supplied numbers under DNS Server Search Order.  As you enter them, then click add, they will appear in the window just below wher you entered them.

Click OK, and click OK.

Reboot.

You should now be online.

If not, hook up a XP machine, through the start menu, go to Show My Connections.  Right click on the LAN Connection icon, and select Status.  On the second tab you should be able to find the automatically detected IP, subnet mask, and other numbers for that connection.  Write them down.  Now hook the Win 98 machine back up, start again at the top of my post above, and enter these numbers in your Win 98 machine.  After reboot, you should be online.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:54:03 PM EDT
[#5]
That looks about right...

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#6]
You can also use the network set-up wizard in the XP box- in control panel- and use it to create a network set up FLOPPY ( created by/in the XP box).

then you use the floppy you created with the XP box, to run the home network setup on the 98 box.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#7]
(cracking knuckles) I'm a professional... don't try this at home... no, I mean, DO try this at home, I mean, I've done this before.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:39:27 PM EDT
[#8]
NIC was bad, new 3COM NIC, up and running (with the advice from A free Man)

THANKS!!!!!!

Eric

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Think nothing of it.  You're welcome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top