Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2003 7:51:36 AM EDT
I have a 1999 Ford F-150 and I'm having some problems with the radio.

About 1.5 years back I picked up a Jensen radio/cd and had best buy install it.  Everything else is stock.

Now my reception is absolute SHIT.  I can lock onto a station but it's always fuzzy/snowy unless I'm in real luck.  Even strong local stations come in horrendous.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:01:22 AM EDT
[#1]
check to see if the antenna is fuly plugged in on the back
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Dude,

You admit having a Jensen?  WTF:  At least my Raven works better than many $600.00 guns at the range.  Can't say that about Jensen's though!

Actually, why put a $50.00 POS sound system in a $20k truk?

Try Alpine instead:)

All above was meant tongue in cheek.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:09:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like maybe the Antenna came unplugged from the back of the Radio.

Link Posted: 12/26/2003 4:53:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
When you say "Now my reception is absolute SHIT," do you mean since you had the Jensen installed, or just recently, and it was good before?  Jensen isn't exactly a top-tier brand, or known for their tuners.  But as with any radio, the antenna is always the first thing to look for.  If the antenna arial itself is damaged, or if the cable is exposed somewhere and has corroded due to the moisture in the air, then that's the problem.

-Troy
View Quote

I'd say it started about 2 months after installing the new radio.  When it was first installed it was fine, but after three 2,200 mile trips it started.

Hmm, go figure.  I'm not an audiophile; I just wanted a removable faceplate radio because auto theft is so ridiculously common out here.  Jensen was on sale, so why not..?

The antenna itself is fine.  I guess I'll have to take it in and have the antenna wiring checked.

Thanks!

Mike
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 4:55:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Dude,

You admit having a Jensen?  WTF:  At least my Raven works better than many $600.00 guns at the range.  Can't say that about Jensen's though!

Actually, why put a $50.00 POS sound system in a $20k truk?

Try Alpine instead:)

All above was meant tongue in cheek.
View Quote

Umm...  I know shit about car audio.  I needed a removable faceplate radio with cd, and it was on sale and the salesguy recommended it.  (shrugs)

I just needed a radio that wouldn't get ganked...

Mike
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:02:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Do you have a cell phone or nextel charger plugged in or constantly charging in the vehicle? I have two separate vehicles where my charger when actually charging the phone screws up radio reception. in one of my co-workers vans his nextel charger screws up his radio if left plugged in (not charging or charging does not matter) unplug it and it is clear as a bell plug it in, static whistles fading etc. am&fm.  good news is this is easy to determine - just unplug you charger. BTW this runs the gamut of all makes Ford/Dodge/Chevy for me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top