Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2004 1:18:29 PM EDT
The shotgun is listed here...  870 Express

I would like to know, why does it say

NOTE: The Model 870™ Express® is intended for personal use and will not accept law enforcement accessories.
?

Does this mean it is different from the LE 870 shown Here?

Will it NOT take certain parts?  Are there any differences?

The reason I ask is that Dick's Sporting goods is selling the NON-LE model for $279 and I was wondering what I might be buying.

Thanks for the help guys.

S
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an 870 Express for Home Defense. I love it for its intended purpose.

The one you are showing is different than the 870P shown in the second link. I think the 870P has a 14" barrel, the 870 Express has a 18". The stock on the 870 is synthetic and does not come with a sling adapter and it is almost impossible to drill one because of the thin ridge line on the bottom side.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know, but I would avoid the Express. They cut some serious corners to save costs.

Much beter off with a Wingmaster, or equivalent.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#3]
The Express has two dimples at the end of the magazine tube that prevents you from using a mag extension without milling off the dimples.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The shotgun is listed here...  870 Express

I would like to know, why does it say

NOTE: The Model 870™ Express® is intended for personal use and will not accept law enforcement accessories.
?

Does this mean it is different from the LE 870 shown Here?

Will it NOT take certain parts?  Are there any differences?

The reason I ask is that Dick's Sporting goods is selling the NON-LE model for $279 and I was wondering what I might be buying.

Thanks for the help guys.

S

It's merely a disclaimer for the sake of having a disclaimer.

You may have to drill out two small tabs (a monkey with a dremel tool can do it) to make the 5-shot version accept a mag extension. And it takes a bit of skill to drill sling-swivel stud holes in the cheap synthetic stock, but it can be done.

Other than that, it'll take any accessory you'd want to put on it....what exactly is a 'law enforcement' accessory, anyway?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had a 870 Express Magnum with a synthetic stock since I was 12. I have had no problems with it, used it in Alaska for bears (luckily never had to use it, had to use an Enfield once though home
18" barrel is accurate even at 100 yards with slugs.

Wingmaster? for what, duck hunting?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Wingmaster? for what, duck hunting?

I  don't know, the original poster didn't specify.

I'm just not a big fan of the Express- crude finish, rough bore and chamber. It's one of the few pumps that seem to have a reliability issue- mine did. My gunsmith sees a lot of them come in for work.

It costs less for a reason.

Wingmasters, or Police models are a different matter. Excellent quality and function.

Just my .02
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top