Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/19/2015 8:38:29 PM EDT
Need a bit of help wiring in my new thermostats. House has two of them. One downstairs and one upstairs. Pictures are as follows.
1. Downstairs
2. Upstairs
3. New thermostats ( have 2 of them )
The new thermostats are Honeywell Model # RTH6350D
Manual located here.
http://www.honeywellstore.com/store/images/pdf/rth6350d-5-2-programmable-thermostat-installation-manual.pdf

I beleive I just have a conventional system. It is gas heat f that matters.

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Okay, give me a few.  It's kind of a drive.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Put some wires from the wall on them there screws.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Top one is wired for a Heat Pump but the jumper pin is on Gas??

Bottom is wired for Gas heat and AC...

You need to tell us what type of systems you have..
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I upgraded my two thermostats to Honeywell wifi units a couple months ago.  Both my first and second floor units had the same number of wires gong into them.  I had to connect additional power wires in each unit and in control unit in the basement. Not sure why your upstairs thermostat has only 3 wires connected to it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Red = R ------ 24v Hot
Green = G ------ Fan
Yellow = Y ------- Cooling
Orange = O --- Reversing valve (Heat Pump)
Blue = B -------  Reversing valve (Heat Pump or Common 24v)
White = W ---- Heat
W2  = second stage heat Aux heat (heat pump)
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I upgraded my two thermostats to Honeywell wifi units a couple months ago.  Both my first and second floor units had the same number of wires gong into them.  I had to connect additional power wires in each unit and in control unit in the basement. Not sure why your upstairs thermostat has only 3 wires connected to it.
View Quote

Your thermostat needed a Common wire from the 24v transformer to work.. The thermostats in this thread do not require 24v common to operate. The new thermostat he purchased is Batt powered..
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

Cental A/C and gas heat unit located in second floor closet. Its just one system that is 3 tons.

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 9:09:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Cental A/C and gas heat unit located in second floor closet. Its just one system that is 3 tons.

http://s13.postimg.org/47evj6yli/20150919_195426_1.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://s13.postimg.org/47evj6yli/20150919_195426_1.jpg

Connect R G Y & W to conventional
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#9]
whats the second thermostat for??
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#10]
  I think I wire everything the same as the old ones except the blue wire going to B is eliminated.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

whats the second thermostat for??
View Quote

Control from second floor.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
  I think I wire everything the same as the old ones except the blue wire going to B is eliminated.
View Quote

Sure I guess

O & B can be disconnected if its not a Heat Pump.. Still confused why you have two thermostats for one system.. Looks like you have something else going on?
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#13]
First, you'll need a good screwdriver.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 9:37:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

First, you'll need a good screwdriver.  
View Quote
Got a few of those on hand. Plus a little torpedo level to make sure the stats arent crooked.

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 9:55:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Outside unit model # is 38BRC048350

Its actually a 4 ton. I thought it was 3. It doesnt have a reversing valve outside so its not heat pump.

I do know that the system has a damper that is supposed to redirect air to top or bottom level if one of them reaches temp before the other does. is that my mysterious orange wire?
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 10:27:38 PM EDT
[#16]
anyone?
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 10:29:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Colored wire insulation
What does it mean ?

You've been answered OP.

Green controls the fan
White is the call for heat
Yellow is the call for A/C
Red is the 24v

Eta
Where is the damn cable from the HVAC gear? Let's see the pic !
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Its actually a 4 ton. I thought it was 3. It doesnt have a reversing valve outside so its not heat pump.

I do know that the system has a damper that is supposed to redirect air to top or bottom level if one of them reaches temp before the other does. is that my mysterious orange wire?
View Quote

Ok makes sense now! Connect all wires like for like except the blue wire
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are serious do I just connect the orange to the O/B port on the heat pump side?

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 10:55:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks like you have a zone system. The stat with more wires attached is the master stat and the other is the slave.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 10:57:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Looks like you have a zone system. The stat with more wires attached is the master stat and the other is the slave.
View Quote
yeah, thats what I just been reading about. The orange wire is used as a common.

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:02:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Probably a Honeywell trolAtemp
I don't think those stats will work.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:11:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Its been since the 1990's since I'v installed that style of TrolAtemp . When the tstat selector is in cool It uses o to send 24 volts to the zone relay for cool mode and when the selector is in heat it uses b.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g291/zebrahum/Cant-tell-if-serious-.jpg

If you are serious do I just connect the orange to the O/B port on the heat pump side?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g291/zebrahum/Cant-tell-if-serious-.jpg

I actually was serious but now I'm not sure... You need to figure out the wiring now.. O and B were used for the reversing valve on old t-stats.. New t-stats have O/B and are configurable so you need to trace out the wires and figure out what they go to. You have a second t-stat that controls a damper so the wiring will not be standard!
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:13:51 PM EDT
[#26]
It may be this one. CLICK
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:14:45 PM EDT
[#27]
You have any pics of the control box/relay box??
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:15:53 PM EDT
[#28]
^^^^^

I think jon nailed it
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:21:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:24:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I installed a lot of those in the 90's however things change all the time. You have to have 24 volts powering the O circuit at all times when the master stat is in cool and 24 volts to B when the master is in heat. I do not think the stat you have can act as the master.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:24:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:29:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
http://postimg.org/image/606fju4xd/full/

Link for huge pic.  
View Quote

Dont cut the blue wire lol
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:29:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I installed a lot of those in the 90's however things change all the time. You have to have 24 volts powering the O circuit at all times when the master stat is in cool and 24 volts to B when the master is in heat. I do not think the stat you have can act as the master.
View Quote
Yeah. Now I know whats going on. I guess I have to look for thermostats now that are zoned system compatible.

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:31:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:32:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:34:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I think the O/B on the new t-stat is going to mess an easy swap out up.. You could use Y2 and W2 instead of O and B
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:35:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:38:22 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm gona say you need to get a hvac contractor To get you set up. You will blow your transformer if you install those t stats.
I repaired set up just like that last summer when the couple who bought the house replaced there stats. Fried their transformer.
If I was there and had a t stat were I could program aux contacts for O and B I could help.
You install those t stats YOU will blow a fuse or transformers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:39:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I think the O/B on the new t-stat is going to mess an easy swap out up.. You could use Y2 and W2 instead of O and B
View Quote

NO
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:39:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Would it work if you simply bypassed the entire master control board and hooked into the wires going to the A/C/heater directly? If you buy a thermostat with a remote thermometer that acts as zone 2, wouldn't that be almost as good?
View Quote

NO
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:41:30 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
It will be fine. The control board makes the decision based on master and slave thermostat setting on the main board.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah. Now I know whats going on. I guess I have to look for thermostats now that are zoned system compatible.

It will be fine. The control board makes the decision based on master and slave thermostat setting on the main board.

Really? I just dont wanna open up these two thermostats I have and them have that not be the case. I probably wouldnt be able to return them.

I can call Honeywell tech support Monday and see if this is the case.

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:41:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is you nick name SPARKY lol
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:43:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:43:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm gona say you need to get a hvac contractor To get you set up. You will blow your transformer if you install those t stats.
I repaired set up just like that last summer when the couple who bought the house replaced there stats. Fried their transformer.
If I was there and had a t stat were I could program aux contacts for O and B I could help.
You install those t stats YOU will blow a fuse or transformers.
View Quote

Yeah I agree! If this was a basic system no problem.. Call an Hvac contractor out.. Just need a set of eyes on the system to figure it out..
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:45:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:49:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:51:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
OP, I just looked at your zone damper control board. Your new stats will work fine.

On the stat that have the O and B wires hooked up, tape both of them off and you won't use them on the new stats.

Here is the link to your zone board.

http://www.durodyne.com/durozone/SMZ-SWLR.pdf
View Quote

LOOK closer at your diagram. There is a master stat and 2 slave stats.
HE needs O and B wired correctly.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:55:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 12:00:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top