Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2017 7:43:21 PM EDT
Decided I'm going to play the NFA game and I want to start with a PDW sized AR. I'm trying to decide between 22lr and 9mm.

They're both cheap to shoot which is an important consideration. If I decide to cast for 9mm (I already cast for 45 and 357) I can load powder coated plain base 147gr bullets for 8 to 9 cpr.

22lr costs about the same but no need to chase down brass. So while the cpr is the same, 22lr is cheaper when you factor in your time. The financial barrier to entry on suppressors are also lower as 22lr cans tend to be less expensive than 9mm cans.

Accuracy I don't know about. I'm sure it depends on the barrel. For 9mm I'm looking at Faxon's 4.5 inch. For 22lr, I'm looking at Taccom3g barrels.

For practical use, I think the 9mm is the winner because it is a credible self defense cartridge. On the other hand if I'm going to go to the effort to retrieve a long gun for a self defense situation, I might as well get something chambered in 5.56 or 7.62x39.

So, yeah. I'm indecisive about which to get first. For those that have had PDW sized SBRs in both calibers, which did you like most?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Will this be your only NFA item? If so, make it a 11.5" 5.56 AR, and use a mag block for 9mm.

If you'll be buying multiple NFA items, and want a 9mm PCC, I'd SBR a Skorpion, not an AR.

Edit: As an NFA addict, I'd make a 11.5" 5.56 my first buy, a magnum caliber multi-rated rifle can for it my 2nd, then a rim fire can, then a multi-rated pistol can.

2Edit: To make it easier- 1x quality lightweight lower like 2A Arms, V7 WeaponSystems., SiCo Hybrid, and a Dead Air Mask rimfire can. 1 quality lower, 2 cans.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#2]
1. Purchase suppressor.
2. Wait
3. Purchase brace of your choice.
4. Shoot pistol.
5. Wait some more.
6. SBR lower.
7. Continue waiting...
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I went with a 7.5" 9mm upper first.
Then I got an 11.5" 5.56 upper.
Then I got a 4.5" .22 upper. Which I still haven't tried out.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will this be your only NFA item? If so, make it a 11.5" 5.56 AR, and use a mag block for 9mm.

If you'll be buying multiple NFA items, and want a 9mm PCC, I'd SBR a Skorpion, not an AR.
View Quote
This.  You can get a 22 upper for it and a 9mm upper/block.  Shoot 3 calibers on one stamp.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Make your SBR out of a standard 5.56 lower and have multiple uppers for it.

You can do a magazine block for the 9mm, and a CMMG conversion for 22LR.

You're right in the mindset of cost effective and cheap to shoot, but I would personally pick the 9mm first.  Load for subsonic velocity and use a good can easy to disassemble and clean.

You could feasibly employ the 9mm silencer on a 22.  They're usually 1/2-28 threads.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, I imagine once I get started I'll have a whole stack of the damn things before long

I'm not too keen on anything quite as long as an 11.5. Thinking more PDW than compact rifle. Though I did look seriously at doing a 10.5 in 7.62x39. I bet that'd be an ideal feral pig blaster.

I also briefly considered a cx4 since I recently picked a Beretta 92fs, but 11 inches or so is as short as it can go. Plus all the 922r crap.

The Skorpion is out of my budget. I can do an AR considerably cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Make your SBR out of a standard 5.56 lower and have multiple uppers for it.

You can do a magazine block for the 9mm, and a CMMG conversion for 22LR.

You're right in the mindset of cost effective and cheap to shoot, but I would personally pick the 9mm first.  Load for subsonic velocity and use a good can easy to disassemble and clean.

You could feasibly employ the 9mm silencer on a 22.  They're usually 1/2-28 threads.
View Quote
I wasn't aware that a 9mm silencer could be used with a 22lr. Interesting to know.

I'll probably eventually have several SBR uppers. I just have to decide which one comes first.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#8]
You can buy a mp 15-22 and sbr it.  They are fun and really light.

While shooting a 22 through a 9mm can may work, you will want a dedicated 22 can because of the suppression, length, weight, and easy of cleaning.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:58:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I have several PCCs in SBR trim. All bow to the full size MP5 clone (Turk).

As an Uzi fan, it breaks my heart to see it last, but that is where it honestly ends up.  The AR below is in the middle.

Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

As an Uzi fan, it breaks my heart to see it last, but that is where it honestly ends up.  The AR below is in the middle.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3561/SBR-Low2-134332.jpg
View Quote
Would love to have an MP5 clone.  Sadly, that involves $$$$$ out the wazoo

I know, I'll go be poor somewhere else
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#11]
10.5" FN 5.56 barrel upper with another upper in 8.3" BA 9mm barrel with KAK bottom load adapter

I love mine. Here it is in 5.56.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Would love to have an MP5 clone.  Sadly, that involves $$ out the wazoo

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3561/SBR-Low2-134332.jpg
Would love to have an MP5 clone.  Sadly, that involves $$ out the wazoo

MP5 clone is far and away the best option. I know it's expensive, but you won't regret it. You can put an Omega together with a $1,445 upper and a $269 lower for $1,714. I think that's about the cheapest way to go.

I haven't enjoyed shooting 9mm ARs - the recoil impulse is just kinda crappy compared to a 5.56 AR-15. If you're doing a short-barreled AR, I would stick with 5.56 (or .22LR if you're into that, it's just not that practical of a round).

Just my advice as someone who has shot a number of 5.56, 9mm, .22, and other ARs as well as MP5s.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#13]
The hell with the money and hassle to build a 22lr SBR IMO.

First build exactly what you want I will never buy a complete AR unless it's a crazy good deal I can't say no for.

Second build it off a "standard" lower not a dedicated pistol caliber lower like those Glock mag lowers, this way you will have the capability to change it to any caliber you want via mag blocks ect.

Also another good reason to build it is that you can own every component except the barrel while you wait on your tax stamp.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#14]
First get a Factory SBR 5.56 like this

Then Build another

Then get an MPX

Then you'll need about 7 cans

Oh, you'll need a shotty too
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:20:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I am partial to my 5.5" 9mm

Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Pretty nice looking machine you have there.  How well does it shoot?  What barrel and handguard are you using?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Pretty nice looking machine you have there.  How well does it shoot?  What barrel and handguard are you using?
View Quote
@gotuonpaper
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:48:52 PM EDT
[#18]

10.3"
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:27:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

@gotuonpaper
View Quote
@JamesP81

Pretty well.

I am running a Ballistic Advantage barrel and an SLR Handguard with a KAK Flash Can.  

I have had a little bit of issue with feeding but nothing too bad.  

The barrels are designed for Colt pattern mags with a straight feed and no real feed ramp.  Not glock mags.

@madmachinist will fix it for $50 but I have been too lazy to take it apart and send it ton him.  

Its a very accurate little blaster.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm screwed, aren't I?

The shotgun is pretty nice.  I've considered expanding my reloading to shotshells and casting buckshot...it can be pretty cheap that way.  All I need to know is an SBS coach gun for shiggles...
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#21]
I like my 7.5" bbl 5.56 with PDW stock the best.  Just because it runs so good and barks so loud.  I've heard comments from onlookers like "that thing's a beast!" at the range.  It's a real head turner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top