Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 10:04:56 AM EDT
I live on a huge lake, and own a nice ski boat.

I know that in these uncertain times I should concentrate on getting out of debt, but I have this irresistable urge to trade my Ski Nautique in on a C-Dory 22.

The ski boat will need to be upholstered in another year or two. That's at least a $4,000 job.

It's simply not big enough to be seaworthy on this lake.

The guy who owns the local marina REALLY wants it. I'll probably never have a better opportunity to get rid of it.

A C-Dory with a cuddy cabin and an outboard instead of an inboard would extend my boating season by a couple months.

I could camp with it.

There's no carpeting or upholstery for the GF's toddler to dump bottles of suntan lotion or squash grapes on.

Help me convince myself -

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:07:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd go for it but remember a bigger boat means more gas to fill it. But I'm sure you'll have some rockin times on it. Buy now boats will be in hugh demand after people gets there homes rebuilt.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#3]
my business partner is looking for a ski boat in Maine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:12:51 AM EDT
[#4]
How many times are you really going to use it per year? Figure that out then divide it by the cost. Then add in maintenance, gas, oil, etc.

You might be surprised how much each trip costs.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:15:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'd go for it but remember a bigger boat means more gas to fill it.

Actually, the newer, larger boat will be quite a bit more economical as far as gas goes. The ski boat has a 340 HP V-8.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
How many times are you really going to use it per year? Figure that out then divide it by the cost. Then add in maintenance, gas, oil, etc.

You might be surprised how much each trip costs.

There's a 43,000 acre lake 45 feet from my front door. I use my boat(s) almost every day in the spring, summer and fall. I go to the grocery store, post office, etc. by boat instead of car. I even take the GF's son to school by boat.

If I didn't live right on the water, I'd agree. Most boats don't wear out, they rot away.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Reason...

Fleas don't like water.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Should be an easy decision.

You're ridding yourself of a toy and progressing to something that has more utility.

Try this one for size

B.O.W.C.

Bug Out Water Craft
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#9]
False alarm, I guess I'll be keeping the ski boat.

The dealer was full of shit about his great prices. When he finally called me with the actual numbers, he was offering me the lowest book trade-in for mine, and full retail for his.

I asked him if I was on Candid Camera.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#10]
ok...here you go..
When the zombies come...your gonna need a BO boat that can sustain you for a good period of time. And while it might be hard to grab you and eat your brains while you are water skiing, the cabin cruiser would be the best idea. That work???

other than that..I'm in the same boat (parden the pun). I would like a cabin cruser to replace my skiing boat as well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd go for it but remember a bigger boat means more gas to fill it.

Actually, the newer, larger boat will be quite a bit more economical as far as gas goes. The ski boat has a 340 HP V-8.[/quote]

What more excuse do you need. Do it for the tree huggers. Help out with the national fuel shortage. Contribute to the economy.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Rodent,

All the airline pilots I know justfy their toys by saying -
"I'm an airline pilot, and I want a new ______."  Fill in with airplane, car, truck, boat, wife, guitar, hangar, pool, etc.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Rodent,

All the airline pilots I know justfy their toys by saying -
"I'm an airline pilot, and I want a new ______."  

I think those are only the ones still on their first wives...  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Look Im sorry but ya can't rationalize a purchase such as a boat.  Its just a BIG hole in the water that you throw money into.  Now you're looking to buy a BIGGER HOLE in the water.  Im NOT SAYING DONT BUY A BIGGER BOAT!!!!  Im just saying ya can't rationalize it.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:49:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey...fuck it...you only live once and you can't take it with ya..... you know what to do
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top