Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2005 7:50:44 AM EDT
Here's the deal, I have to write a review on a book or movie that depicts a real event that occured in the United States between 1865 and 1945.

I would rather watch the movie, so can you name a good one that fits that era?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:53:14 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Here's the deal, I have to write a review on a book or movie that depicts a real event that occured in the United States between 1865 and 1945.

Band of Brothers (Private Ryan sucks)

Glory

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:53:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Robert Johnson selling his soul to the devil at the crossroads.

I'm sure somebody's written about it. Hell, folks still sing about it. O Brother, Where Art Thou made a reference to it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:56:20 AM EDT
[#3]
How about the rise of La Cosa Nostra during prohibition?

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:56:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Glory

Hmm, we need more info.  You say it has to be a real event that happened in the US or can it be a part of US history?   I think Glory was pre 1865.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:57:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Glory

Read it again.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:00:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm sorry, it has to be a piece of US history. It's for a history class I am in and the name of the class is US history 1865 to 1945. No Civil War stuff, i already asked about Gettysburg, he said no way, it's pre 1865.

I was thinking mafia or WW2, maybe The Manhattan Project? Is there a movie on that?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:01:33 AM EDT
[#7]
"The Grapes of Wrath"

The book isn't too bad, either.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:02:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Little Big Horn
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:02:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm sorry, it has to be a piece of US history. It's for a history class I am in and the name of the class is US history 1865 to 1945. No Civil War stuff, i already asked about Gettysburg, he said no way, it's pre 1865.

I was thinking mafia or WW2, maybe The Manhattan Project? Is there a movie on that?

"Fat man and little boy".

www.imdb.com/title/tt0097336
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:03:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Figure out a way to fit "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence" into it.

I'm stubborn.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:03:44 AM EDT
[#11]

I was thinking mafia  

See my post?

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:05:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Then I would go with Band of Brothers.

Or perhaps Wyatt Earp.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:07:00 AM EDT
[#13]
The Valache Papers.not sure of the spelling Charlie Bronson played  Joe Valache.............that may have been after 45 tho
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:08:08 AM EDT
[#14]
How about "The Right Stuff" or "Apollo 13"?

Both are at least fairly historically accurate when compared to most other movies.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:10:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Both are at least fairly historically accurate when compared to most other movies.

Now I am sure that Apollo 13 happened after 1945.

Audie Murphy's movie would work though....
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:11:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now I am sure that Apollo 13 happened after 1945.

Damn! Brain fart...
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:13:39 AM EDT
[#17]
St. Valentine's day Massacre.

G
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#18]
BAND OF BROTHERS???  Not even the whole first episode "OCCURED IN THE UNITED STATES".  Most of their training took place in England and the Airborne never fought on American soil!!!

Want a great piece of real American History?  Watch The St. Valentines Days Massacre!  Some other movie suggestions are, The Story of Pretty Boy Floyd,  Bonnie & Clyde,  Dillinger,  They Died with their Boots on, Bound for Glory, The Long Riders, Tom Horn.

Go to Blockbuster and look around.  Stay away form Kevin Costner epics, way TOO LONG.  Most of the above are under two hours and give a very detailed account of the truth.    

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#19]
The Battle of Midway.

If it must be US soil, then Pearl Harbor.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Does it have to be IN the US or just involve US forces?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#21]
How about comparing Pershing going after Pancho Villa to how the govt deals with illegals in this day and age....
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:13:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Wow....so much to pick from. Why not think of what you find interesting and jump on it.

As far as film and book....Band of Brothers is a *GREAT* choice. But is that what you want to do?  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The Battle of Midway.

Don't know if it matters but Hawaii wasn't a state until after WW2.  Thats why people were saying that 9/11 was the first attack on US soil since the Brits in 1812 (but the Japs did do some stuff on the west coast.....just that no one knows/cares...)
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Sergeant York, a movie about the WW1 Medal of Honor winner, made in 1941 starring Gary Cooper.
Its location is split between the US and France.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Best movie ever made on the topic:

Hiroshima (1995)

Done from both sides in a manner similar to "Tora, Tora, Tora" and is second only to Tora, Tora, Tora in being a comprehenisvely accurate depiction of events.

This is the definitive "Why we bombed Japan" film IMO.

If you are gonna do the mafia one of the better ones I've seen is: Bonanno: A Godfather's Story (1999)

Done from the memiors of one of the heads of the original 5 families, Joe Bonanno. Mostly accurate depiction of events, including what kind of person Joe Kennedy actually was, but with the obvious whitewashing and self forgiving one would expect from the recollections of a career criminal.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#26]
+1 on

Midway and Tora Tora Tora

Also think about:

Memphis Belle

Thirty Seconds over Tokyo

The Longest Day

God is my Copilot

The Roughriders- TR and Cuba

There's also an older movie about "Mush" Morton and the Wahoo (submarine) in WWII.  Somebody help me out here.

I know plenty more, but this should be a good start for you.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Lots of good choices, thanks guys.

Bonnano family? I read the book about Bill years ago. Would that movie cover the era I need though Steyr?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Lots of good choices, thanks guys.

Bonnano family? I read the book about Bill years ago. Would that movie cover the era I need though Steyr?

Yes, it begins with The Bonnano family in Italy (only a small part of the beginning) and how Bonnano came to this country and worked his way up under Marzano and founded what would become La Cosa Nostra in the 1930s and documents it's process to modern times.

Enlightening.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Battle of Midway.

Don't know if it matters but Hawaii wasn't a state until after WW2.  Thats why people were saying that 9/11 was the first attack on US soil since the Brits in 1812 (but the Japs did do some stuff on the west coast.....just that no one knows/cares...)

Even though it was a territory, it was still US soil.  9/11 was the first attack on the CONUS since the war of 1812.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#30]
George M. Cohan - Yankee Doodle Dandy - Jimmy Cagney

Sgt. York as mentioned

What really happened in Tombstone?  My Darling Clementine, Henry Fonda and Walter Brennan, Tombstone, Kurt Russell et al, Wyatt Earp, Kevin Costner, Doc, Stacey Keach

Stanley and Livingstone

Armed confrontations between the US and Mexico, there were several

Interesting period for the Military and transportation.  Went from small woodburning locomotives, to other fuels to diesels horse and buggy/wagons to superhighways.  From hot-air balloons to jets, sailing ships to steam ships  several huge technological turnovers, submarines from nuisance to strategic weapon blockades of England and Japan, the entrance of the armored ship to the demise of the aramored ship.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top