Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/21/2017 3:06:25 PM EDT
Need some suggestions and advice on where to go camping in the USA.

I am planning to go summer of 2018.
Duration 5-7 days
Tent camping with truck, possibly RV

Want to go somewhere with water, a lake, river or stream.
I am " that " uncle and my nephews are like 5, 8, 12. They dont see each other much because they live in different states. So I am going to take them camping.

Want to go somewhere we can fish and shoot guns as they have never shot guns before. Anywhere in the continental US is fine. Thanks in advance.
Was thinking about yellowstone but it looks to be crowded.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:11:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Central oregon is a pretty awesome place to go camping.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:12:52 PM EDT
[#2]
The Bighorn Mountains in Wyoming are awesome.

Lots of day hikes or loops hikes.  Great fishing.

Tons of camping spots, either primitive or truck camping.

The following is the regulation on shooting on public land in the Bighorns.

"Prohibits discharge of a firearm within 150 yards of a residence, building or campsite, developed recreation area or occupied area, or across or on a Forest Service System Road or body of water, or in any manner or place where any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result of such discharge.  In simple terms, this means don’t shoot within an area 150 yards of campgrounds or campsites, across a lake or creek, across, or while on a road."
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#3]
It helps to know where you're coming from.

Probably a long drive from Yemen.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Michigan's UP sucks, don't come here
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:16:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Maine.  Mount Desert Island.

Someone from Maine would have to tell you where else to go shoot.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm going to Denali with some friends in about a week and a half. Super excited, but no shooting for fun and no fire allowed
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Smokey mountains. Watch out for tourist traps
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm going to Denali with some friends in about a week and a half. Super excited, but no shooting for fun and no fire allowed
View Quote
how will it be fun w/ no shooting or fires allowed?

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:41:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Voyageurs National Park in Northern Minnesota.  Clear, blue, gorgeous.  No mosquitos either
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Came to post this. Grew up there.
You can fly in to Boston and drive up the coast. Absolutely beautiful part of the country.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Where you coming from.. dont wanna suggest a drive that takes up 5-6 of your 7 day trip lol.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#13]
4 Words:

Bridger Teton Wilderness Area
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#14]
What states are you, and the kids in ??

That would be the place to start.....

_
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Adirondacks or Vermont. Vermont has NO gun laws. Bring and shoot anything you want. Plenty of ranges around...

cap
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#16]
The drive for me does not matter. But the starting point will be either, Boston or Cleveland. I am in AZ and CA.

There has to be a campfire and trees. I camp enough times in the desert and baja
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Go to Conner, MT. Take the Nez Perce Trail road to Elk City, ID. Lots of places to shoot. Damn few people to bother you, period. 

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#18]
make sure you go before fire season. House rock is a good camp ground most sites are right on Santiam river( sites 15 and 16 are the best) with Santiam wagon trail for near by for hiking.  foster lake for fishing/boating/kayaking. Shooting: any where in the national forest as long as your 150 yards roads, structures, camp grounds and body of water.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Flaming Gorge, UT

Awesome place, never crowded.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Alpine loop outside of lake city Colorado or really anywhere in that area. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Izhevsk, Udmurt Republic Russia

Oh, this America!

Ed
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Central oregon is a pretty awesome place to go camping.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

That ain't camping, holmes.  I got nothin' for ya.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#25]
The furthest up camp group at Sequoia National Park.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:46:50 PM EDT
[#26]
There's a pretty river in Liberty, MS, and lots of people shooting guns around the end of August.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not going to hump all that gear around especially if I don't need to. Not a tier 1 outdoorsman. Just want to do something nice for my nephews.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:59:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I hear Detroit is just like visiting Africa now. Maybe a Safari in your future?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:06:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Idaho is where I would go. Near Sandpoint.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Another vote for Montana, what an amazing state to experience!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Flattops Wilderness Area in Colorado.

Thank me later.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
This and many other locations up here haha..   check out coos canyon, my SO has been there and loved it.

I dont get up that way enough to know shooting areas. If you do narrow it down to this state make a thread in the maine hometown section, someone will guide ya right. Were also a constitutional carry state. Jusy an fyi.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Voyageurs National Park in Northern Minnesota.  Clear, blue, gorgeous.  No mosquitos either
View Quote
Honorable mention;
Minnesota's North Shore is unbelievable.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#35]
 ANywhere in Alaska....  McCarthy would be a fine choice, but Seward  or outside of Valdez would be  more  " developed"
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is the correct answer. Fish,shoot, canoe, northern lights. There is more freshwater lakes in Northern Minnesota than most of the rest of the country combined. Lakes everywhere, most set up with campgrounds as well.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
This!  Especially east of Houghton.  We had XXXX XXXX XXX to ourselves last September for a few days.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Western Slope.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'll be there for 8 days starting next Friday. My favorite trip of the year!
View Quote
Just in time for the elk bugle boogie. I'm jealous. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:55:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This is the correct answer. Fish,shoot, canoe, northern lights. There is more freshwater lakes in Northern Minnesota than most of the rest of the country combined. Lakes everywhere, most set up with campgrounds as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No guns in Voyagers I'm pretty sure, but you can hunt in the Boundry Waters. Grouse hunted up there a couple times. Either is beautiful.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Even though you are desert already don't discount the magic of Carlsbad Caverns, NM.

The Million Dollar Highway up into Ouray, CO will blow the kiddos minds.  Take them out prospecting to an abandoned mine and let them pick through the tailings pits.  Silver and gold ore, yo.

Yellowstone is unbelievable and it doesn't have to be crowded if you don't want it to be.  It is immense.  Feed their minds.  Bring an infrared thermometer and take readings of the boiling geothermal pools.  Show them the bacteria that live in BOILING WATER and let them know that alien life is probably a lot more like the bacteria than it is like a little green man.

Frankly I would rather camp in the Grand Tetons, and do day trips up into Yellowstone.  Take a look at getting a site at Colter Bay Village at the Grand Tetons.  

Protip: Get a Wyoming fishing license (one day is fine) and you can fish the stocked pool at the fish hatchery in Jackson, WY.  The kids will love it.

The Tetons will melt your face when you see them for the first time if you haven't been there.

Kids deserve to see Yellowstone and the Tetons.  It feeds the soul.

ETA: consider a trip out to New Mexico.  Take them through the Jornado Del Muerto (sp?) where we tested the bomb at Trinity.  Then up to Cloudcroft, NM where they can hike up the ski slope or trails to Ski Apache.  It is enough altitude to make them huff and puff- 10k plus.  Then down the range through Elk, NM and on to Carlsbad Caverns.  There they can see (depending on time of year) a MILLION freetail bats exit the mouth of the cave.  It is a true natural wonder.  The caverns are something that will live in their imaginations.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Western part of Montana, a day or two in Glacier National Park, you won't regret it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#44]
In.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This and many other locations up here haha..   check out coos canyon, my SO has been there and loved it.

I dont get up that way enough to know shooting areas. If you do narrow it down to this state make a thread in the maine hometown section, someone will guide ya right. Were also a constitutional carry state. Jusy an fyi.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Lots of places in Maine. Pretty close to Boston, easy drive and far enough away to be as BFE or high end facilities as you want.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:41:19 PM EDT
[#47]
I camped at Rod and Gun campground in the black Hills last summer. Loved it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#48]
OP, this is what you seek.

LC

Chatooga
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Bookmark this website.

https://freecampsites.net/

If you take an RV you will need this one too.

http://www.sanidumps.com/

On BLM land out west you can camp up to 14 days in one spot before you have to move.

I really like Wyoming & eastern Montana.  May as well teach them nephews to shoot live reactive targets.

Western Wyoming offers miles and miles of back country to explore.  It is desert so TAKE LOTS OF WATER!
Near Rock Springs in the Kilpecker Sand dunes, free camping but it considered primitive.  South of town and mentioned previously, is Flaming Gorge. Fishing is pretty good.  You can camp along the shoreline.

Montana is great too IMHO. Central MT around the Judith Mountains is great.

Lastly, ya eh, da U.P. has lots of back woods to explore. The west end has Porcupine Mountains with 100's of small seldom fished lakes.  Lake Gogebic is a very good Walleye fishery.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:16:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The drive for me does not matter. But the starting point will be either, Boston or Cleveland. I am in AZ and CA.

There has to be a campfire and trees. I camp enough times in the desert and baja
View Quote
Start in Cleveland. Head toward South Dakota. Drive across South Dakota into Montana. Go as far into Montana as you care to. The details will take care of themselves. I recommend an RV or travel trailer with three youngsters. As long as you don't mind the miles, this route has endless opportunities.

ETA: Seven days is probably too tight for this route.  It would be 40+ hours of drive time.  Just saw that part of OP.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top