Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2005 2:06:16 PM EDT
Im looking for a fairly cheap laptop, Uses would be Surfing, Movies, and lite gaming mostly.
I recieved a 10%, interest free coupon from Ciruit  City and Ive been looking at these two models
Acer
or
Compaq

Im leaning towards the Compaq because of the ATI graphics. The difference in HD space isnt a concern to me. 10 minutes with Google showed me that another 256mb stick of RAM for the Compaq is only $30. The difference in Proc speed isnt a big deal to me,or should it be?

In the end the Compaq will be around $30 more expencive, $60 if I buy the RAM.

What do you think?..........Udog
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:09:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Of those two, I would definitely for with the Dell with a minimum of a 2 year next business day warranty.

...and yes, I read your question carefully..

If this sounds blunt, I really do have your best interests at heart.

www.dell.com  look at the Inspiron 1200, 2200, 6000.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:59:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Better yet, if you're shopping for a deal, which it sounds like you are, try www.gotapex.com  They have smoking deals on there on Dell laptops (they basically give you coupon codes and the correct configuration to get the best deal for your hard earned dollar).  

I have several Dell laptops now between work and home, and have been nothing but happy with them.  As an interesting aside, I was at a GIS conference a few weeks ago and I swear almost half the laptops there were Dells.  The deals they give on them has certainly gained them market penetration.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:00:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for Dell. Fuck Compaq laptops, for sure. I can't speak for Acers, but definitely look into getting a Dell.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the one that wasn't stolen from the DoD.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:20:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Dell discounts at

www.slickdeals.com

and

www.couponmountain.com

new deals every couple of days, serious price breaks
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Another vote against Compaq. Never had luck with their machines. Dell seems like a good choice. I used to swear by IBM, but now their consumer gear is Lenovo made in China shit, so I'm not sure who I'd go with.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Fuck Dell my POS hasnt worked right even after t time back to the factory
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't buy a laptop without visiting notebooks (and add) .com.  Be sure and read about all the fun people are having with their POS Toshibas.  This is my second and last Toshiba laptop.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 for Dell. Go to the outlet. Great prices. I got a base model 2650 for home, a D500 for work, and a 600 for the vampire to use at N. Fla. U. Get the 3 year warranty.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#10]
fuck dell i had a bunch of them. my boss has a bunch of them. i gota mac couldn't be happier
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Of those two, I would definitely for with the Dell with a minimum of a 2 year next business day warranty.

agreed.

dell makes a very good laptop. get a decent warranty as well. my daughter spilled a soda on my wife's laptop & it took dell a week to come out & fix it.

if it wasn't for the spill, things would have been fine.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Dell all the way, and get the extended warranty that guarantees next-day, on-your-site repair.

It's paid off bigtime for me, and they are FAST.

HH
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#13]
You don't even have to join the notebook place to do a search for a specific model.  My last Dell laptop lasted 11 months and is now .50 BMG target material.  Worst support on earth!

edit - sorry but it is notebookforum + .com.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:03:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I posted a similar thread a few weeks ago, and got some great feedback.  Personally, I would avoid Compaq like the PLAGUE.

I was thinking about a Sony (I love the desktop, and know people who swear by their laptops) but Arfcom feedback led me to a Toshiba.  I LOVE it!!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#16]
anyone else notice a trend. those who say dell also say get a super mega warrenty

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Power Books are good.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#18]
All laptops use much of the same stuff.  They're a lottery at best no matter which way you go.

I have had problems with my Dell laptops throughout the years, but with the great warranty, the ability to have it fixed the next morning at my place of business is the deal sealer.

The return to depot warranty at Dell is marginal at best.  I agree with others on this board.

One example:
I once called in a motherboard failure at 5 pm on one day to have the guy at my desk the next morning at 9 am fixing it.
Edit:  ...and he apologized for being late! (traffic!), really, he did!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Mac or Dell
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#20]
+1 for the Acer

Mine hasn't given me any problems.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
edit - sorry but it is notebookforum + .com.

So why don't you just type notebookforum.com?

Perhaps even hotlink it? notebookforum.com

Why all the cloak and dagger "you must add '.com'" jive?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#22]
HP Pavilion zd8000

And get the extras

It has been a great computer and have not had a problem.

It also runs games GREAT!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top