Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2013 4:00:13 PM EDT
I have a desk where my current setup and I'm going to get rid of it but the wife says I have to get something that looks nice in the room.  I've seen some nice bench tops and was wondering if there is somewhere where you can get a really strong nice desktop type item?  I'd have to have it mounted on the wall and have legs put on it I guess.  I really need it to be tuff enough to handle the pressures of the presses especially when a case gets a little stuck!  LOL.  Anyway, what do you recommend?  I have an 8 ft. long space that I'd like to put it that way I can fit my presses on it and other stuff.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Build it yourself is probably the best option.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#2]
My loading bench is an drafting desk.  I made a top out of  3/4" plywood.  Out of a 4 x8 sheet you can get a 3' x 5' piece a 4' 'x 3' piece, and a 1' x5' strip so I laminated the 3' x 5' with the 3' x 4' piece and 3' of the 1' x 5' piece to get a 1-1/2" thick 3' x 5' plywood top.  Then I glued (contact cement) white plastic laminate onto the plywood top and edge banded it with 3/4" oak.  Makes for a stout top, not terribly expensive.and it looks pretty decent.

Another option is do a google search for finger jointed maple butcher block counter tops.  I think you can get finger jointed maple tops up to 1-3/4" thick pretty much any size you want.

If you want really stout - go find some 3-1/8" x 12" glue laminated beam - or whatever depth works to get your top depth right, glue or biscuit joint lengths together and get a 3-1/8" thick top.  

I made a work bench for my shop out of some 5-1/8" x 16" glue lam beam - cut an 18' length in half and I have a great 5-1/8" x 32" top about 9' long.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#3]
8ft? Go to a salvage store for building materials, like a Habitat for Humanity store. Buy a door.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is a pdf plan of a bench I built. I scaled it up to 8' wide. Use it for some design ideas especially in the strength department. There is a full 2 x 6 'Lip' that sits under the front edge top. Definitely a necessity for reloading presses.  I litterally could park a small car on that puppy it is so stout. As is you can add a bottom shelf & face the front with sliding doors. Using quality wood and trim bits to dress up the edges. You could have a fairly good looking/not so utilitarian looking piece.

Reloading Bench Plans

And another compact cabinet which is designed to fit into a corner. Again you can scale this up to what might suit you

Reloading Cabinet

The quality of wood you use will determine how nice it looks when finished
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I laminated eleven 2x4s together side by side, glued and screwed.  I planed and belt sanded the top, then finished it with spar varnish.  looks nice and sturdy as hell.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Gladiator work bench from sears
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Some guy named Covertness made this for me.  Then I went and drilled holes in it.

Grizzly sells laminated maple slabs.  Bit pricey but worth it IMHO.  They have them in the length you are looking for.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:45:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I got a Gladiator bench from Lows a few years ago with a pressboard top. I  replaced the top with a butcher block I ordered online from sears.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
8ft? Go to a salvage store for building materials, like a Habitat for Humanity store. Buy a solid core door.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I've used old solid core doors for workbenches.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I made mine out of 2x4s and a sheet of 3/4" plywood. It isn't the prettiest thing but I have plenty of room and it cost me about $100 including the saw which I got from a pawn shop.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:11:30 PM EDT
[#12]
This is mine. Built from scratch by laminating .75x3 maple.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#15]

I have the exact same thing but from Sam's Club I think I paid $150
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#16]
double tap.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:13:32 PM EDT
[#17]

I built a workbench using these plans. I used 2x6's for the top pieces and 4x4's for the legs.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Very cool.  Mine is similar, but I laminated pine 2x4's and then stained it and sealed it with a polyurethane to fill the gaps where the boards are rounded on the corners.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:45:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Very cool.  Mine is similar, but I laminated pine 2x4's and then stained it and sealed it with a polyurethane to fill the gaps where the boards are rounded on the corners.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I was considering that route but I came across the maple. Drilled it and bolted it together with threaded rod, then sanded the hell out of the top to level and smooth it. Sealed it with linseed oil.
I couldn't bring myself to drill through it for my press so I mounted it to a 2x6 and clamped it onto the top.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:21:18 AM EDT
[#20]

Mine is really similar, though not as deep.  The legs on mine are threaded steel pipe.  My first bench was made with 3/4 inch plywood top sitting on 2x4 frame and 4x4 legs.  It worked, but wasn't as solid as the butcher style top and steel pipes.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:37:34 AM EDT
[#21]
I used this plan for my reloading bench and two work benches in my garage:  http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/workshop/bench/below20xl.html

Here's a pic of the work benches:

For the work benches I used cheap counter tops for the work surface.  My reloading bench got a nice piece of sanded hard ply wood.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:47:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have a desk where my current setup and I'm going to get rid of it but the wife says I have to get something that looks nice in the room.  I've seen some nice bench tops and was wondering if there is somewhere where you can get a really strong nice desktop type item?  I'd have to have it mounted on the wall and have legs put on it I guess.  I really need it to be tuff enough to handle the pressures of the presses especially when a case gets a little stuck!  LOL.  Anyway, what do you recommend?  I have an 8 ft. long space that I'd like to put it that way I can fit my presses on it and other stuff.

Thanks.
View Quote

Eject

ETA: On second though...pics of wife?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:40:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Can you stain Butcher Block?  What would be a good thickness in these?  Is 1 1/2" strong enough for reloading?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#25]
I plan on wrapping the legs in some more decorative trim. It is 6' but they also have it in 8' length. Matches the kitchen counters. I put braces under the press for more stability.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top