Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2002 4:33:42 PM EDT
I am a 16 year old male interested in joining the Canadian Army Reserve.  I am 5'11 and 185 pounds.  After reading the physical requirements to join the reserves I found that I have to be able to run 2.4km in under 12 minutes.  I currently lift weights(50 reps per arm with a 30lb weight every 2nd day) and have good muscular fitness.  However, my cardiovascular fitness is not so great.  I can win arm wrestles but I cannot do many push ups(only about 15-20) and i struggle with running.  I am admitedly somewhat of a coach-potato.  I have been trying to exercise and eat lower calories per day and have lost about 8 pounds since Christmas because of it.  However, it takes me about 3:45 to run a field i believe is between 600 and 800m long.  I don't think I will be able to cut it in the army if I don't shape up a little.  Could anyone recommend an exercise plan to improve primarily my cardio fitness and maybe lose about 5 pounds in a relatively brief period of time?  
thank you
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#1]
First off, don't be discouraged with your times or the ammount of reps you can do.  The body is a wonderous thing.  It will adapt when pushed.  Keep running, keep doing pushups.  The next time you run, try and do 5 seconds better than the last time.  then next time you do pushups, just try and do as many as you can. Try and do more than you did last time.  You'll see that you can do it.  [b]Don't cut calories.[/b]  You'll just be making yourself weaker.  At 5'11 and 185 pounds you should be "within specs."
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Hello!

Check out my topic "Beginning Military Fitness Links" in this forum.

HTH,
James
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top