Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2006 5:37:43 AM EDT
I have a problem, at least I think I do, with my gas logs. We purchased this house almost 2 years ago. Last winter we used the gas logs for the first time (my first experience with gas logs), but only used them a couple of times. Each time we used them the smell was quite strong in the house, but I chalked it up to it being a new unit, and maybe it was burning off some of the finish, etc.  The few times I lit the pilot, I noticed that it was hard to light. It would not light with the ignitor, as the flow of gas was so strong it would blow out the spark. When it was lit by hand with a lighter, you would have to hold the lighter there for about 45 seconds or so for it to heat up, otherwise it would just blow right out. When the pilot is lit, it looks like the picture below, and does not seem to go down in size, although last year I remember it being smaller than this.  Any idea what would cause this, and if so how do I adjust it? I have a gas control knob on the log set, but it is just for adjusting them after lighting, doesn't seem to adjust the pilot at all........
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:49:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Does the ignition/pilot light operate under the same principal as a gas water heater? If so, the sensor could be going bad, I’ve replaced these a few times on my water heater when the pilot light starts going out for no reason.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:51:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine is similar, and it has a igniter button.

Once ignited, I have to hold the gas on (pilot mode) for a bit to heat the sensor.

My living room one is fine, but my bedroom one does  have a bit of stink

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:52:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Some tips here from Google.

www.sureheat.com/troubleshooting.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top