Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2002 7:32:39 PM EDT

Looking at getting a used truck, have 2 in mind,
Toyota tundra 4 dr 2wd V8 28k miles
F150 XLT Lariot 4dr 4wd V8 39k miles

Both have nice features, XLT is loaded and definitely more comfortable
Tundra is almost fully loaded with flat hardtop bed cover and Toyota reliabillity and long lifespan.
Tundra is American built.

Got 2 cents?

Del
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I am a chevy man but with your choices i would take the ford.I had a toyota 4by and as for long life try 2 valve jpbs in 100k miles.their custumer service sucks and i will no longer own another one!
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Another vote for the ford.  I recently purchased a 1995 ford f150 4x4 (80k miles) and it seems very solid.  If you go the ford route and have questions, the folks at [url]www.f150world.com[/url] should be able to help.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#3]
We have an Expedition.  I would get the Tundra just on build quality alone.  Take a close look at a Ford.  Seams are large and uneven.  Materials are cheap.  We've had lots of little problems (wiper fluid alarm, bad lighter socket, bad oil pressure sensor), though nothing major yet.  That said, the large Chevys do look nice and put out impressive power.  Not too sure about their build quality, though four of my neighbors have them and love them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#4]
What will you use it for?

If you pull alot(boats,ect) you really should go with an American made truck(American made:built on the American philosophy of what a truck should be)

The Ford will need up-keep like a AR-15 does but will work harder and is 4x4.

If you use your trucks like a car to drive around town and only haul something from time to time the Toyota should be fine.
Great milage,nice ride,comes with a hard cover.

If you get the Ford I would look in to a computer chip,they are a littel weak for the amount of displacement.

And if you get the Tundra I would think about going with a lower gear ratio.
Toyota gearred they a littel high to improve acceleration due to the reletavely small V8.

Link Posted: 8/22/2002 8:51:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Agree with Smarty_Pants (although I, too, am a Chevy man). ;)
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#6]
What years are they?

Ive gotta go with the Ford also

Ive had several and they were all great.. and I think they are alot better looking than Tundras.

I like the looks of Tacoma's but Tundras are just Fugly!

I used to have a 97 Ford f250 turbo diesel, Oh I wish Id have kept that truck..
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 9:30:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What will you use it for?

If you pull alot(boats,ect) you really should go with an American made truck(American made:built on the American philosophy of what a truck should be)

The Ford will need up-keep like a AR-15 does but will work harder and is 4x4.

If you use your trucks like a car to drive around town and only haul something from time to time the Toyota should be fine.
Great milage,nice ride,comes with a hard cover.

If you get the Ford I would look in to a computer chip,they are a littel weak for the amount of displacement.

And if you get the Tundra I would think about going with a lower gear ratio.
Toyota gearred they a littel high to improve acceleration due to the reletavely small V8.

View Quote

Agree..... that said.....Get A Jeep!!!

Get a Jeep....add a trailer to tow anything you need, plus much easier to load on a trailer than to lift into a pick up. Grand Cherokee's will pull quite a bit.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#8]
agreed! cherokees are great!
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 1:18:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies. But still a toss up.
Both are '00s.

Consumer reports rated the Tundra as a best buy. JD Power rated it best 3 years in a row.
I like the F150's have 1 already as the "Company Work Truck". It's been good so far.

GM And Jeeps rated very poor quality and reliabillity.
Had 1 before the F150(C1500) and Jeep Cherokee prior to that.
Both died before their time.

FWIW, C.R. rated Toyota and Ford above the others.

Thanks for the input,

Del
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:51:57 AM EDT
[#10]
All things break, the Ford will be easier to fix and cheaper to repair.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 7:23:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
All things break, the Ford will be easier to fix and cheaper to repair.
View Quote

Cheaper ?? maybe, I don't buy ford parts BUT as far as easier to work on, you're nuts !!  The tundra, and toyotas in general, are just about the best made and easiest to work on vehicles made. I work on them daily and other brands as they come in for used cars and the fords are a nightmare compared to toyotas. We have four other technicians who spent many years at a ford dealer and one at a chevy dealer who cannot believe how different two companies can make a product.
Another factor you might look at is resale value, which one holds it's value better over time ??
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 7:33:53 AM EDT
[#12]
buy the toyota.  Don't get me started....
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 7:36:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Tundra.

Aren't they built in the US anyway?
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. But still a toss up.
Both are '00s.

Consumer reports rated the Tundra as a best buy. JD Power rated it best 3 years in a row.
I like the F150's have 1 already as the "Company Work Truck". It's been good so far.

GM And Jeeps rated very poor quality and reliabillity.
Had 1 before the F150(C1500) and Jeep Cherokee prior to that.
Both died before their time.

FWIW, C.R. rated Toyota and Ford above the others.

Thanks for the input,

Del
View Quote

Do your self a favor and toss out your copy of Consumer reports.

Og to an auto shop and ask one of the techs what they fix the most and what is the cost.

I can give you 50 car mags and not two will have the same "best buy"

There are alot of opinions here and some are good (some not) and if we were talking about guns I would defer to thses guys but I doubt there is anybody here who has built as many cars as I have.

Let mne put it this way,I pulled a 1991 S-10 pick-up out of a junk yard and installed $100.00 worth of new sensors and filters.
Now the truck runs like new and the guy that has it is blown away.
Nobody ever told him that just because his old 1983 Toyota pick-up may run  it's out of tolerance and makes next to no horse power.
That S-10 would run for about five mins and stut off and nobody could fix it,the old owner put $1,500 in it and then junked it.
Go to a Chevy dealer and test drive a new truck,pop the hood and pull the water temp sensor off.
It will run like crap,the engine does need it to run but the computer will did that to prevent damage,the only thing that you would need to fix is a $20.00 sensor.

Just one example of were the quality misconception comes from.

Link Posted: 8/23/2002 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a 98 4runner and a 01 Tacoma.

Man I love those trucks.

Link Posted: 8/23/2002 10:28:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I am no expert, but I have owned Both Ford and Toyota. I still own three Fords. I may be a little biased.[:)]

Go with the Ford. We test drove one (F150 XLT 4 door short bed) last year and loved it, even though it was not 4wd. The saleswoman told me to drive it like I owned it, so we took it off road a little bit, down the highway at high speed, around town, etc. It was a very nice truck. If we could have come to an agreement on price, I would be driving it now.

Link Posted: 8/23/2002 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Which company was on which side in WWII?
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Go with the Ford! Back in 2000 I bought brand new a Ford F-150 XLT 4 door.

I like it alot. I have put about 32,000 miles on it so far and not one problem at all. I have hauled lots of things including going up into the woods and pulling out various diameter trees in various different lengths rangeing from 20 feet tall to 60 feet tall that I have cut down for firewood.

The ford is a work horse and is a good well built truck.

It is very comfortable, gets good gas milage and is well as they say built for tough.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 12:50:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I've owned an 83 Ford F-250 4x4 that I put 130,000 on it before the frame collapsed from the friggen salt.

I'm now pushing 150K on my 94 Ford F-250 XLT 4x4 and it's still running strong. I've hauled tons of stone, pulled my Honda ATV's and Bobcat skidsteer around and it keeps on going. I've climbed out of pretty rough stuff with it. But,I can tell it's getting a little tired and isn't as spunky as new. I've had to replace a few parts like the smog compressor and some idiot fittings on the throttle body that rusted away. Why TF do I need a Smog Compressor?

I like Fords but their quality is slipping a bit. A client of mine purchased a new F-150 and after 4K on the Odometer, the front end started to come apart. He dumped it for a Dodge Ram. I understand that Ford really put the pressure on their sub vendors to drop pricing and the quality is suffering.
Dodge has some great styling and features but I'm not sure how they are as a real truck. The new Dodge looks like the inside of my Concorde LXI and rides about the same.
I just don't care for the Chevy line. The truck seems fine; it's just the dash line appears too high for me and the test drive I did in a 2500, the automatic shift couldn't make up its mind what gear to shift too.

You should see the look on a salesman's face when I tell them I want to test drive their truck with my trailer and Bobcat skidsteer in tow. I use a truck as a real truck.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, like the company who made the computer you're reading this forum on.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#22]
 I have bought my last Ford.  I spend some time at the locl auro repair shop (friends with owner) and at least half of his business is Fords.  While none are easy to repair any more, Fords a consistently worse then the rest and the pars cost more, even in aftermarket brands.  Toyotas have the reputation of running forever, and although Toy parts arent cheap either, you will need much less of them.
 BTW take your Consumer Reports and wipe your butt with it, that is all they are worth...
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, like the company who made the computer you're reading this forum on.  
View Quote

IBM,Gateway,E-Machines,HP,Apple,Compaq and all the related companies:Intel,AMD,Kingston,Viking,US robotics,Siemens,Epson,3Dlabs Inc.,ATI Technologies,Palm,Maxtor,Western Digital,Adaptec,ASUS,MSI,TYAN Computer Corporation USA,Belkin,FMI,Enlite.

All owned,designed and  developed  the America.
Not one of these companies sale anything not developed right here.
If the Japs want to put it togther fine.

Link Posted: 8/23/2002 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#24]
the real question is, which company is more pro-gun (or less anti-gun would be closer to the truth i guess)

Link Posted: 8/23/2002 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
the real question is, which company is more pro-gun (or less anti-gun would be closer to the truth i guess)

View Quote

I am sure that is what you will be thinking when your truck goes kaput.  "Oh well, it might be a POS, but it is pro-gun."

I have a 99 F150XLT, and I love it.  By the way, 2WD 150s are more reliable than 4x4, though 4x4 is nice.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#27]
I will slightly plagerize THREEFIFTYNONE, Go with the Ford - don't get me started...
I can't speak for the earlier models, but, I just bought a brand new F-150 5.4L and my buddy just bought a brand new Tundra.  There is no comparison I GOT THE BETTER TRUCK!!!
Between my buddy's truck and mine, mine: Rides better, looks better, hauls more, tows more, and has an American name, OK it doesn't get as good gas mileage - but hell - I want to burn the last drop of fossil fuel anyway...
(you knew this thread would end up in a "Ford-Chevy, also ran" battle")
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#28]
If you want a 4x4 pick up the Ford, if you don't need the 4wd go with the Toyota. I would try and find a Tundra X-Cab 4x4 if I had enough money. I've owned several mustang V8's, a celica, and 2 toyota pick-ups. All have been pretty reliable considering the abuse I put them through.

Red-Leg was refering to IBM's role in the Holocaust. Read the book it's very very interesting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top