Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2014 1:51:43 PM EDT
As I sit here on my old as balls 1st gen iPad, I have finally decided an upgrade is in order. Android only, I won't pay for apples overpriced stuff.

The two I have my eye on are the Samsung TabPro 10.1 or the Samsung Note 10.1 2014 edition. Screen size is important since I'm really used to the big screen on this iPad, and anything under a 10" is too small for me. Wifi only, I have no need for cell data on it.

Ability to root and ROM is very important. I don't think any of them should have locked boot loaders if you're not getting them with cellular though.

So, help me out ARFcom.

Btw, price needs to stay right around or under $500.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know much about the Samsung tablets, but the Google Nexus 10 is nice.  I have the 10 and my kids have the Nexus 7 tablets.  I'm an Apple fanboy, but I really like the speed and image quality of the Nexus line.  I haven't touched my iPads since I brought these home.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:05:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the Samsung tad 2 10.1 my wife has the tab3. We like them both but! For some reason both tablets will kick out of the Internet and go to the home screen. Or the keyboard will disappear when typing.  Its enough to make you want to throw it at times. Or it will freeze up and you have to restart it. I only use it for getting online , play some games and watch movies or shows. Would I buy another? NO!
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:08:03 PM EDT
[#3]
old school tag.

Have an ipad2 and bought my parents a Kindle Fire HD.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Bought one of the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5's the day after it came out and it has been great so far. We haven't had it long enough to say it's perfect, but so far so good and the thing is packed full of features. We love our Samsung phones and tablets in our household and don't think I would even look at another brand anymore. It's $550, but worth it in my opinion and just slightly over your budget.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-galaxy-tab-s-10-5-32gb/7093009.p?id=1219250430282&skuId=7093009&st=categoryid$pcmcat209000050006&cp=1&lp=6
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Before you complain too much about the iPad being overpriced, check out how much you can sell your current iPad for.
Resale value on iPads is much better than the rest and should be taken into consideration.

iPad Air is only $50 more than the Galaxy mentioned above
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Before you complain too much about the iPad being overpriced, check out how much you can sell your current iPad for.
Resale value on iPads is much better than the rest and should be taken into consideration.

iPad Air is only $50 more than the Galaxy mentioned above
View Quote

I doubt my 1st gen, nearly 5 yr old 16gb iPad is going to sell for much. It can't even run current iOS. Resale value doesn't even enter into my mind. I'll hang onto this thing just as a backup.

I'm also going to android because of the ability to run ROMs and certain apps I want to have are android only.

I was looking at the nexus 10, I'm leaning away slightly now because its specs are lower than the sammys and no sdcard.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was looking at the nexus 10, I'm leaning away slightly now because its specs are lower than the sammys and no sdcard.
View Quote

Yes, I do wish I had SD cards to increase storage on the Nexus.  We use a wireless HDD to keep a good assortment of movies on tap for road trips.  The new Nexus tablets (either produced by Samsung or HTC) should be out in a month or two.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Samsung

Best buy has a trade in program where you can get a $50 gift card and a $50 coupon towards a new tablet if you trade in your old one.

edit: if you need more storage you can buy an sd card for $20ebay sandisk 32gb
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

As I sit here on my old as balls 1st gen iPad, I have finally decided an upgrade is in order. Android only, I won't pay for apples overpriced stuff.

The two I have my eye on are the Samsung TabPro 10.1 or the Samsung Note 10.1 2014 edition. Screen size is important since I'm really used to the big screen on this iPad, and anything under a 10" is too small for me. Wifi only, I have no need for cell data on it.

Ability to root and ROM is very important. I don't think any of them should have locked boot loaders if you're not getting them with cellular though.

So, help me out ARFcom.

Btw, price needs to stay right around or under $500.
View Quote

I just bought one of these, except mine has a 64 gig SSD in the tablet and 500 gig SSD in the keyboard:

Windows 8.1 is actually pretty cool with a touch screen. It came with MS Office installed too. Under $500.00.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know what boot rom is, but my iPad Air kicks ass.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I love my first generation Nexus 7. Would buy the latest version in a heartbeat or maybe the 10 or 7/8 inch version.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Either go Nexus or iPad. iPads aren't that much more than other tablets unless you buy the lower quality off brand android tablets.
Nexus devices have lots of support plus you'll likely get the latest Android OS
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bought one of the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5's the day after it came out and it has been great so far. We haven't had it long enough to say it's perfect, but so far so good and the thing is packed full of features. We love our Samsung phones and tablets in our household and don't think I would even look at another brand anymore. It's $550, but worth it in my opinion and just slightly over your budget.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-galaxy-tab-s-10-5-32gb/7093009.p?id=1219250430282&skuId=7093009&st=categoryid$pcmcat209000050006&cp=1&lp=6
View Quote

Leaning heavily towards the Tab S now. $497 on Amazon. Good specs, sdcard, etc.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:33:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 and like it very much.  It can be a tablet, or a netbook with a keyboard.  I use the Logitech keyboard.

Look on ebay as I've found the refurbished units typical go there.  I paid $397 for it, iirc.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I was looking at a new tablet.  Was looking hard at an android tablet until I find out that Apple has a trade in program,  My ipad 2 was worth 150.  Not sure what they would give you for an Ipad 1.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I really like my Samsung tab 3 8.4 inch.  I've got a 10.1 tab 2 and had a nexus 7.  This one is just right.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Galaxy tab4 here.
Great device but terrible battery life.
But was open box deal at $225 otd so wth :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top