Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2005 11:02:16 AM EDT
Ladies,

My wife wants a rifle and I am trying to decide what to get her. She is about 5'4" tall, 130 pounds, with an athletic build due to working out.  I am thinking of making her a M4gery or some type of AR carbine with a adjustible stock. My A2 standard is way too long for her, heavy too, due to the length.

On the other hand, I am considering a youth 20 gauge remington model 870. She has never shot a gun before to any extent, so this may be a good option to start out on.

Primarily it will be for home defense, but she is getting survival conscious and we are quickly both getting into the 'survival' mentailty.

ANy ideas or experiences will be appreciated.

Thanks,

GR
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster Superlight w/Stubby Stock

Something modeled off of this?

* Got lost on the way to GD.. sorry.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 11:34:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm 5'4", 120ish and the first gun I shot was an AR-15.  Perfect starting gun for me; I've worked my way up to bigger things, although I still am not a huge fan of bench shooting an FAL.

Starting her on a 16 or 20 gauge for a shotgun is a good idea, or if she wants to try a 12 gauge then I'd recommend low recoil ammo.  First time I shot a 12 guage the recoil from the slug damn nar knocked me over.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Get her something other than a rifle for home defense - a decent shotgun comes to mind, or a nice pistol in a decent caliber; a rifle is really not the best choice for home defense.

As far as rifles go, and the others as well, take her out and let her shoot all sorts of things and let her pick what she wants for herself.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Bushmaster Superlight w/Stubby Stock

+1 on the AR platform, all the women I've taken shooting liked my other rifles, but all fell in love with my AR.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I would stick with an AR or an M1 Carbine type.  They are fun and easy to shoot.

Patty
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 7:43:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Not a lady but...

M4gery or youth model 870 in 20ga?

The standard arfcom answer:  BUY BOTH, of course!

I think a 20ga youth model is an excellent choice for home defense.  (And with your survival interest, you can hunt birds, squirrel and rabbits, too.)

The M4gery will be fun for her to shoot!
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Here is mine. Something like this or even the adjustable stock would be perfect for her! Also, I highly recommend getting her both the AR and the shotgun.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:01:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Here is mine. Something like this or even the adjustable stock would be perfect for her! Also, I highly recommend getting her both the AR and the shotgun.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/sigziggy/melsbeautifulbush.jpg

Ziggy,

What is the length of pull on it?

She's about 5'4" tall 125 pounds, average build. think that would fit her?

GR
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#9]
LOP is 10"

I believe it would fit her fine, but whether it is comfortable for her compared to an adjustable stock (or other) would be the question. I am of small stature and love that I can maneuver it with no problem from low ready to getting the shot off. I wanted mine to be as short as possible for this reason, plus I loved how it looked.

If she is using it more for target shooting, etc. she may prefer the adjustable, because you KNOW how women like to change their minds! Best part about it is it's relatively inexpensive, so if she doesn't like it, worst case - just swap it out and sell it.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
LOP is 10"

I believe it would fit her fine, but whether it is comfortable for her compared to an adjustable stock (or other) would be the question. I am of small stature and love that I can maneuver it with no problem from low ready to getting the shot off. I wanted mine to be as short as possible for this reason, plus I loved how it looked.

If she is using it more for target shooting, etc. she may prefer the adjustable, because you KNOW how women like to change their minds! Best part about it is it's relatively inexpensive, so if she doesn't like it, worst case - just swap it out and sell it.  

GR
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Every lady needs at LEAST:

1 good rifle
1 good shotgun
1 good pistol

(repeat as many times as possible for best results).

The AR is a great choice, either an adjustible stock or one of the shorty tactical stocks.
Shotgun - my 20 kicks more than my 12 I swear, so have her try both.
Pistol - ladies choice, everyone should have one.

My personal choice for the next housegun:

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is my next housegun

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:06:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top