Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2003 8:04:29 PM EDT
Need a new pair of everyday, wear out while shopping, doing non-tactical stuff, basic Vans type of shoes. Went to the store, and everything said

Made in china
, except the Converse shoes, which said

Made in Vietnam

Is there an American shoe company?
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Red Wings are made here in Minnesota

[url]http://www.redwingshoes.com[/url]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been very happy with the shoes from [url]www.bamason.com/default.asp[/url]
I know they're located in Wisconsin and and employ hundreds of people in the Chippewa Falls area. I can't testify that their shoes are completely manufactured in the USA, but check out their site and maybe send off an email with an inquiry.
I usually buy these [url]www.bamason.com/product.asp?family%5Fid=4880&cat%5Fid=78&type=3[/url].
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:17:37 PM EDT
[#4]
You could buy Doc Marten's. At least they are made in a somewhat civilized country, Britain, that is.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#5]
With the exception of the odd work-shoe company, or genuine US military uniform shoes (which, IIRC have to be made here even if a foreign company is doing the 'making'), you aren't gonna find any....

Doing your production in the USA is like shooting yourself in the corporate feet unless you make an encredibly complex product that requires genuinely skilled labor to produce, you supply the US military, or your product is too large/immovable and the costs of importation outweigh the economic advantages of cheap labor (cars, buildings, etc)...

Shoes, in general, do not fit the above categories, so almost none are made here...
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I say buy that foreign made stuff. If those folks don't have jobs at home they will move here and pick our fruit, and slaughter our beef.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Minnetonka Moccosins

[url]http://24.196.120.230/moccshop/themoccshop/Publish/vIndex.htm?cat28.htm[/url]

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#8]
there is a shoe company in Montana that makes nice casual shoes but I cant remember the name... I watched a show about how well the place was run.

Edit....
The place is HS Trask and they make nice shoes that are real spendy.... dont know of anyone who makes cheap shoes in the US but hey Nike is based here In Beverton Oregon
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:26:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I head Redwings moved some of their production to Mexico recently.  I did look at a pair of thier shoes today and they said Made in America.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:42:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The place is HS Trask and they make nice shoes that are real spendy.... dont know of anyone who makes cheap shoes in the US but hey Nike is based here In Beverton Oregon
View Quote

Nike, like any major US corporation, knows that Americans won't work for what production labor is worth...

Their shoes are made in SE Asia (hint: Converse = Nike)...

What I find ironic is the 'communist' countries with their 'pro-worker' governments are serving as factory-colonies for us, the ultimate capitalists... Communisim is sooo swell, right?
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:10:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a pair of casual shoes made in the PRC, and it fell apart in 2 weeks after I started wearing them. I lost out on the money because I bought them on sales about 8 months earlier and the store closed its doors. The shoes were a brand name ones too. I won't make that mistake again.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 2:02:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I believe SAS brand shoes are made in Texas and they're very comfortable.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 2:55:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a pair of Dexters that are casual and VERY comfortable (I've even said to friends, "Feel this leather!  Isn't that soft?").  I got them about 5 years ago and just had them resoled.

I know what you're talking about.  I was in several stores looking for a pair of hikers.  Everything was made in China.  Going to check out the Red Wing store this weekend.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 2:55:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I believe SAS brand shoes are made in Texas and they're very comfortable.
View Quote

One of their plants is in Maine.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:01:55 AM EDT
[#15]
At least recently, some New Balance shoes were U.S. made.  Good shoes.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:34:29 AM EDT
[#16]
San Antonio Shoes are made in the US. They were in the news lately for giving Christmas bonuses to their workers. They have factories in several US locations and they are very nice shoes. John
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#17]
It's nice to know that I'm not the only one here that always tries to buy American first. Screw the Chinese and Japanese!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#18]
CC Filson makes some nice shoes and boots.  they are expensive but they are full grain uppers and you resole every five years.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#19]
The last 4 or 5 pairs of New Balance's i have bought all say Made in the USA on them.

I have only been able to find them at JC Penneys here.

There are a bunch of the "American" companies that have farmed there shoes/boots out...Justin, Wolverine, Red Wings, Georgia Boots, etc. etc. etc.!

Even Danner has a line of China made boots![:(]

The local sales people look at me kinda funny when I tell them "I will not buy those because they are made in China."

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Red Wings are made here in Minnesota
View Quote

...with illegal Hispanics in their South St. Paul tannery.  (That's what you smell down by Fury Motors when you are in the Mississippi River valley on 494, the tannery, that is, not the illegals.)
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:13:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes. If you look closely next time you see a photo of the President wearing sneakers, they are NB. I have a pair just like them NB 805. Look around, because not all stores carry the USA-made NB shoes. At Galyan's, where I got mine, the Chinese-made NBs were as low as $19.99, up to about $69.99 for the top-of-the-line, on sale. The USA-made ones (they only had two models) were $79.99 and $85.99.

For casual/dress shoes, I buy [url=http://www.hstrask.com/index.asp?catid=1]H. S. Trask[/url]. Many of their shoes are made in Montana, although some styles are now being made in Brazil and Italy.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I second BA Mason.  My work boot of choice, tough and very comfortable.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I usually buy Dexter brand deck shoes. Gotta check the label to be sure to get the made in US ones. I used to buy Sperry Top Siders before they moved offshore.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I have seen Belleville shoes/military/hunting style boots at gun shows, seem to ve very well made.

http://www.bellevilleshoe.com/
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:38:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep. I've had a pair of NB walking shoes for going on 5 years now, and they have yet to even loosen a thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top