Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2015 9:40:12 PM EDT
You're my only hope!

My wife burned her hands chopping jalapenos and can't get them to stop burning. Tried washing them in milk. Tried gently washing them with soap and water. Is currently (against my advice) soaking them in a bowl of cold water.

Washed with hibicleanse and running water.

I told her to get a couple slices of white bread and squeeze them/pad them over her hands and repeat. She won't do it.

Is there anything else to do to help her get the burning to stop?

PS
No pics, she's mean and has chemical hands and might give me chemical junk if I took her picture.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#1]

It's like a jellyfish.

You need to pee on her hands.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC,you pee on her hands and that makes them feel better.

ETA-
2 seconds.

How funny is that?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Lidocaine cream from local drug store?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#5]
She just made this face at me when I read the suggestions: Then she made this face too: Followed by these

Her face changed color and everything just like those smilies.

ETA
This was in regards to the golden shower gloves.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Soak it in cider.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Toothpaste, trust me it works.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Shes soaking in a bowl of milk again. Last time I think she just rinsed her hands with it.

Chokey's link looks like the beginnings of a fine salsa recipe...maybe if I had her soak in all that stuff I could scrape it off with some tortilla chips while I watch TV....wonder if she'll go for that?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:51:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Aloe vera gel with lidocaine, the stuff you put on sunburns.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:54:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Try a good grease removing dish soap.  It will do a better job of getting the  oils off the skin.  I use dawn after I cut habaneros.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aloe vera gel with lidocaine, the stuff you put on sunburns.
View Quote

We were going to try that earlier but couldn't find the green goop. I finally found it, but it has no lidocaine. At least it has aloe I guess.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Nitrile gloves next time!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mrs. Soylent just said "Yyyeah" when I read this one to her.

Do you guys think now would be a bad time to ask for an aloe handy?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

She's got capsicum oil on her hands and you're going to ask for a handy?

You're braver and stupider than I, good sir. You might as well just go bang the tub of Icy Hot.  Similar effect.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You're braver and stupider than I, good sir. You might as well just go bang the tub of Icy Hot.  Similar effect.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking that the aloe and the capsacin together should work like a snickers and a diet coke. That is, they cancel each other out and leave a net zero. She laughed when I read your post to her...it sounded a little like "Muhahahah" but she didn't rub her hands together in a scheming manner.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:10:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I was thinking that the aloe and the capsacin together should work like a snickers and a diet coke. That is, they cancel each other out and leave a net zero. She laughed when I read your post to her...it sounded a little like "Muhahahah" but she didn't rub her hands together in a scheming manner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, I touched my junk after OC spray training, six hours later.  

I screamed like a little bitch.  I would rather have another Kidney stone than do that again.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I think the toothpaste is up next. The aloe works, but you gotta keep putting it on.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:12:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Baking soda works well
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:13:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Baking soda works well
View Quote

We are out right now. The daughter blew chunks all over her carpet the other day and we haven't replaced the baking soda yet.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Cool running water.

Don't put any salves or anything that will trap the stuff against the skin.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Turns out we do have baking soda. It was an off brand box with a tan sort of color and I was looking for the arm and hammer yellow box. She is currently encased to the wrists in a baking soda poultice to dry and draw off the oils.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Let her give you a hand job.
It won't help her but you can join her in misery and that will make her feel better.....
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:24:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Try Dawn dish soap, they use it on animals in oil spill situations.  The surfactant may cut the oils and help it rinse away, thats why we tell everyone to use no tears baby shampoo when they are exposed for work.  With that you can soap yourself down in the shower and get it out of your eyes and hair without any further irritation.  But she may just have a chemical burn now and cortisone or burn salve may be more appropriate.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:24:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Thought that stuff was alcohol soluble. Try some cheap hooch? Made salsa and took a leak years ago, learned quick to always wear gloves.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:26:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Before I claim we don't have any Dawn detergent, I will go look this time. It's amazing the amount of shit we have squirelled away in the cupboards around here.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:27:06 PM EDT
[#26]
From Wiki:

The primary treatment is removal from exposure. Contaminated clothing should be removed and placed in airtight bags to prevent secondary exposure.

For external exposure, bathing the mucous membrane surfaces that have contacted capsaicin with oily compounds such as vegetable oil, paraffin oil, petroleum jelly (Vaseline), creams, or polyethylene glycol is the most effective way to attenuate the associated discomfort;[citation needed] since oil and capsaicin are both hydrophobic hydrocarbons the capsaicin that has not already been absorbed into tissues will be picked up into solution and easily removed. Capsaicin can also be washed off the skin using soap, shampoo, or other detergents. Plain water is ineffective at removing capsaicin,[38] as are bleach, sodium metabisulfite and topical antacid suspensions.[citation needed] Capsaicin is soluble in alcohol, which can be used to clean contaminated items.[38]

When capsaicin is ingested, cold milk is an effective way to relieve the burning sensation (due to caseins having a detergent effect on capsaicin[42]); and room-temperature sugar solution (10%) at 20 °C (68 °F) is almost as effective.[43] The burning sensation will slowly fade away over several hours if no actions are taken.

Burning and pain symptoms can also be relieved by cooling, such as from ice, cold water, cold bottles, cold surfaces, or a flow of air from wind or a fan.[citation needed] In severe cases, eye burn might be treated symptomatically with topical ophthalmic anesthetics, and mucous membrane burn with lidocaine gel. The gel from the aloe plant has also been shown to be very effective.[citation needed] Capsaicin-induced asthma might be treated with nebulized bronchodilators[citation needed] or oral antihistamines or corticosteroids.[40]

I've heard that Pear juice contains a natural enzyme that breaks down capsaicin, but that might be an urban legend.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
She is currently encased to the wrists in a baking soda poultice to dry and draw off the oils.
View Quote

i suspect you'll get better results with liquid dish soap, which is specifically designed to break up oils.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Nope, no Dawn.

We do have a tube of hydrocortisone and some cortisone. Which one would be the better bet?

PS

The first thing she tried was liquid dish soap. We are also thinking at this point that it's a burn so the cortisone 10 is going on now.

PPS

She did not like the cortisone results and is going back to baking soda.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:32:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Let her give you a hand job.It won't help her but you can join her in misery and that will make her feel better.....
View Quote

Oh, You have got to read this one to her ! ! !      

Don't forget to duck.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Don't forget to duck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let her give you a hand job.It won't help her but you can join her in misery and that will make her feel better.....

Don't forget to duck.

I did...she is approaching my AO. I may have to run as all my bluff and bravado earlier may be called.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:38:35 PM EDT
[#31]
5-1 water/bleach, or Tecnu which is made for poison ivy/oak.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:39:49 PM EDT
[#32]
50/50 mix water and bleach.

It was the only thing that helped me after I did something similar.  I tried milk, oils, soap/water and nothing completely stopped the burning until I tried the bleach.  Got the idea from a guy who worked in a plant with capsaicin.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:51:11 PM EDT
[#33]
It's been long enough that I don't think we are going to be removing anything else. Now she's just going to have to deal with a mild chemical burn for a little while.

Thanks for the suggestions, you guys are pretty awesome
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:51:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Alcohol.  Drink until numb.

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:51:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Since the oil (capsaicin)  is what is burning, have her wash her hands with dawn dish soap. It will cut the oil & wash away. We is it when the cops pepper spray people. It's the only way. Then take some Tylenol, a Margarita & call it a night.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:52:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Alcohol.  Drink until numb.

You're welcome.
View Quote

I did bring her a straw for her beer while she was soaking her hands in a bowl of milk. I'm a swell guy like that
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:22:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Well this ones a long shot since none of my other ideas panned out. SIIHPAPP, she'll forget all about her hand discomfort as she beats you to death or is your camera broken?

P.S. Maybe mention disposable gloves before using the facilities, cross contamination and all that on her sensitive bits.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:25:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Just dump some peroxide on there.  It will bubble anything out....
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Try tecnu soap, it's made for poison ivy but the ingredients might remove pepper heat
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:56:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Olive oil or cooking oil. Wipe her hands with it and wipe off, then clean off with dish soap. Repeat as needed.

The reason is this: Hot sauce and such have an oily vehicle that transports the hot pepper to your tongue, eyes, hands, whatever. When she washed her hands, she washed off the oily stuff, leaving the active, hot peppery stuff on her hands. Putting oil on her hands will move the peppery powder off her hands, then she needs to clean the oil off her hands. Some peppery hot stuff may remain behind so she'll have to clean it off with repeated applications.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:09:15 AM EDT
[#41]

Wait until she goes to sleep and then pee on her.

She will thank you later.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:21:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm pretty sure she hates you most.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:23:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

But remember, he has to be chanting:  Fire.  Fire.  Put it out.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:25:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Viniger and backing soda mixed and bubbly

Then aloe very gel.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:26:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes you have to help the unwilling.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:33:06 AM EDT
[#46]
have you suggested that giving a BJ might make her hands feel better?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:36:20 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
We are out right now. The daughter blew chunks all over her carpet the other day and we haven't replaced the baking soda yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Baking soda works well

There's a joke with that punchline, I just snorted and almost woke up the kids when I read it.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:47:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Chlorine solution

Take some clorox bleach and pour it into a bigger amount of water.  Rinse her hands in the chlorine solution.

The chlorine will form hydrochloric salts with the capsicum oils and make them water soluble

Then wash her hands in warm soapy water.

Then rinse in clean water
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:06:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Shes soaking in a bowl of milk again.
View Quote

Keep doing that.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:27:13 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

There's a joke with that punchline, I just snorted and almost woke up the kids when I read it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Baking soda works well

I was thinking that too.. but I already got a warning about bringing family into discussions.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top