Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2011 8:46:11 AM EDT
What solvent does the US Army armory use to clean heavy weapons? I have a few gallons that my late father-in-law (worked in armory) left me and the containers aren't labeled.

Id like to know what is is and if its safe to use on my own guns. I was told its a solvent bath for machine guns.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:48:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Whatever is in the janitor's closet

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#2]

LOL Ive heard stories but this stuff has a strong chemical smell I cant identify.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:11:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Probably some very expensive,special made cans of govt  bought,taxpayer funded kerosene.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:22:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Probably some very expensive,special made cans of govt  bought,taxpayer funded kerosene.

Well I have my disasebled 1911 soaking in some right now. Smells a lot stronger that kerosene. If it takes off the parkerizing Ill have and excuse to refinish the mil-spec

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:28:05 AM EDT
[#5]
LSAT and GMD for the big guns. GMD is some nasty stuff. Those are more lube than solvent. Anything under 50 and below it was easier to just buy our own stuff to use.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

LSAT and GMD for the big guns. GMD is some nasty stuff. Those are more lube than solvent. Anything under 50 and below it was easier to just buy our own stuff to use.

Its thin like a solvent and stinks. Do you have any links on this LSAT? I have lots of this shit and would like to know more about it so I can dispose of it properly after I use it.

ETA

The stuff comes in 55 gal drums

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Just make sure it isn't Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK)

I cleaned more than a few mini-guns and chunkers in my early days with that.  

Then I wonder why I'm having health problems now.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Hopefully it's not PD 680, that stuff is nasty.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:46:29 AM EDT
[#9]
military used some seriously nasty shit for a long time.  If memory serves me right, Ellsworth AFB's catm range.  Polluted the water table around the base with gun solvent.  
When I was stationed there, it was a big deal to find an old can of it.  They called out hazmat and everything.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#10]
We use CLP on our 155mm Paladins.  There's always a ton of gallon jugs of the stuff around.  For the hardened caked-on carbon(muzzle brake and bore-vac) we use diesel fuel and green pads.

I know this may not sound extravagant with some cool sounding solvent,  but that's what we do in the real world.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#11]
CCL4? Carbon tetra chloride?

MEK? Methyl Ethyl Ketone?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#12]
After I took the parts out of the cleaner they were almost frosty looking because it removed all traces of oil or lube from the parts. Ive never had a solvent make parkerizing look this way and I was a little concerned about my finish but a light coat of Hoppes gun oil brought it back to normal.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top