Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 5:31:29 PM EDT
I do not have a diagnosis from an actual doctor, but based upon my past experiences I am nearly certain that I suffered a concussion last night while playing hockey.  I fell and the back of my head hit the ice hard, my helmet shifted as my head bounced up, and then I hit the ice again with my head.  I was stunned for a period of about 20 seconds and I have had some difficulties balancing, really bad headaches, naseau, some difficulty concentrating, and just a general feeling of not being right.

The balancing and just general feeling of not being right I can deal with, but I would really like it if someone could offer me some help with how to deal with the naseau and the headaches.

I know that there is probably not much that can be done for either the headache or the naseau but does anyone have some remedies that might help.  I have been taking some advil to help deal with the headaches (it has not helped all of that much) but there are not any more stomach friendly alternatives in the house.  I am getting really tired of dealing with them and both of them are bad enough that I cannot really do too much because of how I feel.

Like I said, I know that there is probably not much that can be done, if anything, but I am holding out hope that someone can suggest something.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#1]
i train in MMA / jiu jitsu / kickboxing and have had my share of fights.    punches, knees and kicks to the head... ive had a concussion or two.

i try to sleep as much as possible, avoid too much sunlight in your eyes, and for some reason i think drinking alot of water helps. it does for me at least.  i do NOT take asperine or any pain relievers

good luck.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#2]
GO TO THE ER AND GET A HEAD CT TO RULE OUT AN INTRACRANIAL BLEED!!!!!!!!!

DO IT NOW!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

DO IT NOW!!!!!

If you don't take that advice you're are not thinking correctly, and should go to the doctor.

Seriously.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I would strongly suggest you get to an ER, while you can and there is time!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

DO IT NOW!!!!!

+100000  Been There Done That and almost died.

I lost an NFL career (well, got it cut short anyway)  due to lying about concussion effects and waiting too long for treatment.

try migraines and seizures once a week for several years.  

Go get checked
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

DO IT NOW!!!!!

And here I was popping in to post "paging Dr Jarhead"!!!!!

That is good advice....never, ever mess with a head injury.  Even I, a lowly dumbass, know that.  I once saw a high school girl die from a head injury in a car accident.  Didn't leave any marks on her head, but she smacked it just right.  She didn't even make it out of the car.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#7]
dont be tough headed, that is a serious thing you are messing with and not to mention a buise on your brain isnt something i would just hope went away, go get it checked out, there is way to much to play with it and hope it goes away man

hope things are better tommorrow
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#8]

My advice is to ask for advice on the internet instead of seeing a medical professional, just to play it safe.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#9]
In my past experience, doctors have been unable to offer any help other then to just say that I should take it easy for the next several days.  

I have to wake up early for classes tomorrow, and I am not exactly close to a hospital, so I was hoping to avoid having to go to a hospital tonight since that would mean that I would be leaving for class with very little sleep.  Missing class is not really an option as most of my classes have a strict attendance policy and there is work that I have to get done tomorrow at the library.

I was planning on seeing the doctor tomorrow afternoon, after my classes are over and while I am in a place where there is easy access to a doctor.  In the meantime, I was hoping that someone would be able to just provide some advice to hold me over until tomorrow.  I did not think that anything major could be done for me by going in tonight so I was trying to avoid that.

And before anyone asks, the reason that I did not go see anybody yesterday after it happened is that I was not sure that anything was really wrong.  I was not aware that I probably had a concussion.  I did not do anything today because of conflicts with work.  I now realize that this was probably not the wisest course of action, but at the time, I did not realize that anything serious could result from waiting a day or two.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
In my past experience, doctors have been unable to offer any help other then to just say that I should take it easy for the next several days.  

I have to wake up early for classes tomorrow, and I am not exactly close to a hospital, so I was hoping to avoid having to go to a hospital tonight since that would mean that I would be leaving for class with very little sleep.  Missing class is not really an option as most of my classes have a strict attendance policy and there is work that I have to get done tomorrow at the library.

I was planning on seeing the doctor tomorrow afternoon, after my classes are over and while I am in a place where there is easy access to a doctor.  In the meantime, I was hoping that someone would be able to just provide some advice to hold me over until tomorrow.  I did not think that anything major could be done for me by going in tonight so I was trying to avoid that.

And before anyone asks, the reason that I did not go see anybody yesterday after it happened is that I was not sure that anything was really wrong.  I was not aware that I probably had a concussion.  I did not do anything today because of conflicts with work.  I now realize that this was probably not the wisest course of action, but at the time, I did not realize that anything serious could result from waiting a day or two.  

I am a medical professional, and basically what you are saying is akin to a person with a possible severed artery saying, "Well, I'll wait a little while till it is more convenient for me to go in to the Doctor."  Dude, head injuries are VERY serious.  I am in surgeries every day for vascular and head trauma and that shit can fuck you up forever if not diagnosed and treated quickly.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:24:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd bet that your instructors will cut you more slack than a progressive brain injury will.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess if you wait until tomorrow afternoon, one of three things will occur.

One, you might have nothing but a mild concussion, and the doc will check you out, bill you and send you on your way.

Two, you might have something more than a concussion, and the doc will check you out, admit you, treat you, bill you, and send you on your way.

Three, you might have something more than a concussion, and you die before you get to the doctor's office.

At least with option three, you get no bill.

(Take the resident Arfcom doctors' advice and get thee to a medical professional ASAP...)
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Better to be late for a class then to never wake up for one again.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I was planning on seeing the doctor tomorrow afternoon, after my classes are over and while I am in a place where there is easy access to a doctor.  In the meantime, I was hoping that someone would be able to just provide some advice to hold me over until tomorrow.

Sure.
No problem.
If you have a subdural hematoma, just drill a hole in your skull over the site of the hematoma and suck the blood out. Don't go to deep now, that'd be real, real bad and watch out for meningitis. Now, if your brain starts to swell it might shred itself pushing out the hole but WTF, you have 2 hemispheres, right?

I did not think that anything major could be done for me by going in tonight so I was trying to avoid that.

"It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring! He went to bed, and he bumped his head, and he couldn't get up in the morning!"

Subdural hematoma.

I doubt your doc, if a campus clinic, is going to have an CT scanner on hand. Nor do most small clinics for that matter.  No one who is competent is going to forego obtaining a head CT on you given your symptoms. That why we have CT scanners bud.

Listen, I gave you good advice. You asked for advice and I gave you the best advice anyone could give. For free. It is worth far more than you paid for it. Usually costs a good $100 per.

Why don't you call your mom and ask her what she thinks?  

My last word on the subject. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh, one more thing as I bail on this thread before I get sued for malpractice:

DON'T TAKE ANY FUCKING ASPIRIN!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#16]
listen to these guys.  what YOU think might be a mild concussion could in fact be a no shit serious situation.  i had a buddy sit on what he thought was a mild concussion, and ended up never playing football again because of it.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I wish all doctors were ^^this^^ straightforward.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:11:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I agree with the others about seeing a doctor just to make sure. I also agree that resting , staying away from bright light or loud noises, and drinking some water is good.
I had a car accident in high school and hit my head on my glass. It wasnt very hard and i barely knew that I did it but later that day I could hardly stay awake and temporarily lost my eye sight. What made it worse was that I had homecoming that night and ACT's the next morning. Went to both partially blind. Parents thought I was being a baby and didnt believe me...even through a fit when I asked them to drive me to my ACT's the next morning. I had to fix my makeup and hair with blurred vision.  Had to be led around the football feild and the dance by my boyfriend because all of the bright lights made the vision worse. Lesson learned..next time i'm going to the Dr. even if I feel fine. Just because you dont feel it now doesnt mean you wont feel it later.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#19]
To put it simply...from a trained medical professional...If you took a blow to the head that is making you experience nausea...
Go to the emergency room.

and have SOMEONE ELSE drive you.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:43:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Out of curiousity whats so bad about taking aspirin?

I seem to remember something about Aspirin thinning the blood......... But I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I seem to remember something about Aspirin thinning the blood......... But I'm not sure.

I am not a doctor but yes, aspirin is an anti-coagulent.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:33:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Dont fuck around with head injuries, get in and get checked out

The drooling only lasts a few months
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:23:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Been there, done that, had the intercranial bleed and everything... GO TO THE ER!!!      
I was lucky, the swelling/bleeding subsided just before the point that they were gonna have to relieve the pressure....by drilling my f'n skull! Now yours obviously isn't THAT bad, seeing that you know whats going on,  I don't remember anything for a week surrounding it and after that had major short term memory loss, and was like I was hammered drunk all the time for a couple weeks after. Had to go through cognitive therapy for a couple months to help with the short term memory stuff. No fun, thats for sure, but you've got to know what your dealing with. Nothing to screw around with. Oh, and since every thread needs some gun content, my injuries were caused from haveing a Remington 870 buttstock broken over my head....
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:25:13 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I do not have a diagnosis from an actual doctor, but based upon my past experiences I am nearly certain that I suffered a concussion last night while playing hockey.  I fell and the back of my head hit the ice hard, my helmet shifted as my head bounced up, and then I hit the ice again with my head.  I was stunned for a period of about 20 seconds and I have had some difficulties balancing, really bad headaches, naseau, some difficulty concentrating, and just a general feeling of not being right.

The balancing and just general feeling of not being right I can deal with, but I would really like it if someone could offer me some help with how to deal with the naseau and the headaches.

I know that there is probably not much that can be done for either the headache or the naseau but does anyone have some remedies that might help.  I have been taking some advil to help deal with the headaches (it has not helped all of that much) but there are not any more stomach friendly alternatives in the house.  I am getting really tired of dealing with them and both of them are bad enough that I cannot really do too much because of how I feel.

Like I said, I know that there is probably not much that can be done, if anything, but I am holding out hope that someone can suggest something.

Don't f*ck around with head injuries. Get checked out by a doc IMMEDIATELY.

Persistend nausea and balance problems can be signs of serious injury.

Don't pass go, don't pass 200 dollars, and don't worry about anything else. Head injuries can kill you or mess you up for life. Get someone to drive you to the hospital RIGHT THE F*CK NOW!!!

Don't worry about classes.

You won't learn much if you mess your brain up anyway.

And don't take any aspirin! The last thing you need is something that will promote bleeding.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:25:14 AM EDT
[#26]
I wonder if he ever went...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:25:44 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
i train in MMA / jiu jitsu / kickboxing and have had my share of fights.    punches, knees and kicks to the head... ive had a concussion or two.

i try to sleep as much as possible,

You are not supposed to sleep long with a concussion!!!

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:59:11 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I do not have a diagnosis from an actual doctor, but....

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:09:44 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I wonder if he ever went...

Not yet.  I have an appointment to see a doctor later this afternoon (not the school clinic, those people are just worthless).  The good news is that I woke up today feeling much, much better.  I still am going to keep the appointment, but I am glad that I feel better.

Thanks for all of the feedback, I was really stupid for putting it off.  I really did not think that much could happen by just waiting to see the doctor since they never were able to do much in the past.  I forgot about the diagnostic function of the appointment and was focusing more on the treatment part of seeing the doctor.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:27:24 AM EDT
[#30]
hey,
I have been dealing with post concussion syndrome for  a few years.

First go get yourself a ct scan to make sure your heads not filling with blood or about to exploded.
Then if your lucky they will tell you everything looks alright and probably set you up to have a eeg.
Pay the rest of the tests no mind. There is nothing that any doctor can do for you i would say keep the bright lights to a minimum, cut your coffee back, stop smoking if you smoke, also a good time to cut back on tv and the net, basically give your mind a rest. It's hard to put your finger on what you are feeling. I find i just feel "off" not quite all there, kind of off balance a little, not enough to make a difference but like a splinter , it dosen't hurt but you know its there.

good luck
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Out of curiousity whats so bad about taking aspirin?

Aspirin helps to inhibit platelet aggregation (It basically inhibits the platelets in your blood from sticking together to form clots, by making them "slippery", so to speak)
This is why they tell you to take aspirin if you are experiencing chest pain.
One of our first, and most basic treatments for chest pain / suspected heart attack is 324mg of aspirin (4 baby aspirin)...It can help slow the clotting process in the coronary artery.

On the other hand...if this fellow has a concussion which is (very simply put) a "bruise" on his brain caused by it bumping into the inside of his skull...He may have blood vessels at the site of the injury that are bleeding. (you do NOT want bleeding INSIDE your head...very BAD).
So, aspirin is not a good idea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top