Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2006 4:39:01 PM EDT
I need some help from any resident plumbing experts. I just built a new house, and I've got a problem that neither the plumber or the company that installed the well and water pump can figure out. Whenever the pump cycles on, there is vibration that I can hear(and feel) through the house, mostly in the master bath area. There was a loud as hell vibration behind the shower enclosure because the vibrating pipes were hitting the enclosure and amplifying the sound. Pipe wrap fixed that, but there is still this aggravating low grade hum - it almost sounds like a power transformer. I looked at the pump, and there is a normal vibration coming from the pressure switch, and I guess that is getting amplified through the pipes. Anyway, does anyone have any idea how to fix this? I was trying to think of some sort of vibration dampener on the pipe that enters the house, but if it's all coming through the water in the pipes, I don't figure that would help.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I would suggest having this moved to GD in order to have better exposure.  I can do it if you wish.

Good idea. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Install a piece of flexible tubing between the pump or pressure tank and the rest of the house.  Do you have a submersible pump, or a shallow well/jet system?

This is not normal, no matter what your plumber tells you.

Ops
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Is your pump hooked to your plumbing with copper pipe?
Mine is tied in with a piece of that clear reinforced plastic line. My pump is sitting on the cement floor and I get zero vibration.

The pump is about 30 ft from the house and all the plumbing is PVC.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#7]
could be air in the line
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#8]
OPEN THE VALVES ALL THE WAY DOES IT DO IT THEN?

may need some sort of knock dealie- little tube that is inline on your pipe basically full of air- new ones have some fancy shit in em- I think its called "hammering" or something

my kitchen faucet would do it if i opernd the valve to just the right spot.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
OPEN THE VALVES ALL THE WAY DOES IT DO IT THEN?

may need some sort of knock dealie- little tube that is inline on your pipe basically full of air- new ones have some fancy shit in em- I think its called "hammering" or something

my kitchen faucet would do it if i opernd the valve to just the right spot.

It is a constant humming sound that is there whether the faucets are on or not. It definitely isn't hammering. I've also heard the sounds some faucets make when they are opened like you're talking about, and this isn't the same. It sounds just like high power transformer hum reverberating in the walls. The weird thing is that it only does it on the side of the house farthest from the pump. The spare bathroom is dead silent.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#10]
The PVC is transmitting the sound.  I changed from flex pipe to PVC and got the same thing.

A length of flexable pipe between the house and pump should cure it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#11]
As you described, I would guess the MAIN probelm is the use of PVC directely to the house.  Most people use clearcore black plastic around here.  Your well could have been drilled crooked and allow the pump motor to lay against the well casing, causing the humming thru the pipes as the motor runs.  Also, IF you have a check valve at the top of the well,the drop pipe could be leaking and allowing air in only to be pushed thru the system upon useage.  

This is a submersible well we are talking about correct?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:44:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
could be air in the line

This is your problem. Either they left air in the lines or you have a bad pump which is letting air into the lines. You might need to have them bleed the system, or change the pump to a different brand. (this just happened in my new house).
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the fast advice. I'll have my contractor get the plumber to put some flex line in ASAP and have any air bled out of the system.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

This is your problem. Either they left air in the lines or you have a bad pump which is letting air into the lines. You might need to have them bleed the system, or change the pump to a different brand. (this just happened in my new house).

Are you talking about a submersible well system?

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:33:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you talking about a submersible well system?

Yes
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like you need rubber bushing around your PVC pipe where it comes out of well cap!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#17]
it is the vibration from the pump . hack out a piece between the house and pump and put a flex line in .

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#18]
They make Flex. coupling that have stainless steel braid  for jus this type of problem. They are in "food" grade. Not to be stiring things up, but sounds like somebody was trying to cut a corner for cost.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#19]
My contractor called me today and said they want to replace the pump next week. I was in the yard today, and grabbed onto a shovel that was planted in the dirt, and its handle was buzzing with the vibration. My builder agreed that it souldn't be like that and they will find a way to get it fixed. Thankfully, he has a strong reputation for fixing problems, and he has proven this during the biulding process, so between some flex line and a replacement pump, I'm sure he'll get it straight.

Now I've got to figure out some way to get the stink out of the water. It has a rubber smell that I figure is from the diaphram tank bladder, and it definitely isn't sulphur water. I uncapped the well today and ran some water out, and it smells perfect so I know the well isn't contaminated. If I sample the water from the valve that comes out of the pressure tank it stinks. Anyone have a problem like that? If the water situation can be fixed, I'll have one hell of a nice house to live in.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
"Water Hammer" www.plumbingsupply.com/waterhammerarresters.html

Agreed wholeheartedly.  This is the first thing that came to mind as soon as I starte reading this.  What you need is basically an air pocket above your valves.  A hammer arrester will solve this problem.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"Water Hammer" www.plumbingsupply.com/waterhammerarresters.html

Agreed wholeheartedly.  This is the first thing that came to mind as soon as I starte reading this.  What you need is basically an air pocket above your valves.  A hammer arrester will solve this problem.  

I forgot to mention that the house is already loaded with hammer arresters, even at the water supply line to the icemaker.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top