Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/19/2005 3:42:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 3:43:09 AM EDT by SheepDog_556]
Here is my sob-story of the month:

Buddy of mine from Chicago came down to visit this weekend. He's former CPD like me and we worked a car together for a couple of years. I love this man like a brother and I'd step infront of a bullet for him.

A year ago, he resigned from CPD to take care of some family issues. He tried to get a leave of absence, but it was a no-go. One of those fucked-up situations where there is just no good option. If I had been in his shoes, I would have done the same and it's partly why I work in Az now.

Now comes the good part - during this year-long ordeal, he finds out his wife is screwing around on him. He hires a private dick to follow her around and gets all sorts of nastiness on her. Pics, recorded conversations, cell bills, the works. She responds in kind by playing up the abused wife role. It's a very long, ugly story - short take is that he took it in the shorts in the divorce. Somehow she ended up with the house, but prior to this he moved out, she defaulted on the mortgage and now he has a judgement against him listed on his credit report, as well as all her bounced checks/collection notices from when they had a joint account. Nothing ever came of the domestic battery charges she filed against him and the OOP she tried to get was thrown out.

He's getting back into LE now and he's pretty sour on Illinois as a state in general. Can't say that I blame him.

He really wants to work out here or in Nevada. I KNOW that some of the agencies here will flat out toss him just due to the fact that he's got a judgement listed against him and of course, the ensuing bankruptcy that his wife filed before the divorce was finalized.

The upside is that he's got a 12 year stellar record with CPD, 8 on HBT, FTO yadda yadda yadda. The only black mark in his file is a 2 day suspension that he got for being in a car that I crashed...

As far as I know, his wife defaulted on the mortgage (and so did he, by proxy - stupid, I know), filed for bankruptcy but never did anything more with it, royally dicked his credit over and then pranced off with a rich orthodontist from Highland Park.

He's still young at only 35 and he's got the itch for the job as bad as he ever had it. Do I tell him to F' It, roll the bones and apply with agencies hoping he gets lucky? Do I tell him to eat crow and pay off his wife's debts, clear his credit, wait a couple of years and then try or do I say to hell with being a cop, stay in your cushy current 9-5 gig?

This one is tearing me up. We talked about it at length before he left yesterday and I never gave him a solid answer. I feel like shit.

Sheep
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:33:47 AM EDT
For what it is worth at my Dept. that is NOT a definite DQ. Although it would be looked at very carefully if the situatuon was as you described and the wife filed for the bankruptcy as a result of the divorce, with his record he would stand a chance. He would need a bunch of documentation, but he may be a keeper. Another way back in is to start at a small S.O. somewhere and 'pay his dues' again.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:46:36 AM EDT
My thought would be that if he applied now or later, the blemish would still come to light either way. If he was actively working to correct it, then that is all that can be expected. The "good faith" rule. I think he might as well throw some applications out and see what transpires.

I understand the rigors of applying from another state, though (I have a friend doing the same.) It costs serious cash to fly in for orals, exams and other hiring procedures BUT a move is out of the question without a full time job. A shitty catch-22.

IMHO considering the circumstances, it would likely NOT be an auto-DQ.

Good luck either way.

NorCal
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:07:17 AM EDT
Worst comes to worst, if he needs a few years to let things settle to be considered, the enlistment age has been raised to 39 now, a 2 year enlistment would get him some excitment and probably look good on the resume.... plus the "veterans preferance" that comes about.

Something to think about......
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:36:17 AM EDT
A) Agencies here are hurting for people bad...you should see what they are considering (I heard a rumor that Phoenix was now allowing applicants who've used meth....might be BS, but it wouldn't surprise me).

B) How many cops do we know that have gone through the same thing? Twice?? Working on their third???

Tell him to pack up and move. We could use him.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:27:39 PM EDT
Does your friend have kids with that woman, if not, it should be cut and dry over and done with, with the exception of the financial headache,I work for the CPD now and I know how bad the Dept. can be in a domestic situation. I think you should encourage your friend to go for the job if he realy wants it but just be as honest as possible with the investigators, you and I know they will dig up anything you had in your past so it's no use trying to hide it. If his background with the CPD is that exemplary he should have no problems,I know I have taken more time, more civil suites, more b.s. than most guys on the job, if all he has is one incident in 12 years he should be good to go,where did you guys work? I'm in 011.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:26:42 AM EDT
I don't see how a "one time" issue would DQ him on the spot. Most applications allow room to fill in the details of potentially DQ'ing responses to questions.

Perhaps a few letters of reference to go along with his application that support his account of what happened and why would make the difference.

Cops are people too, and cops do have " life problems" just like everybody else.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:13:28 AM EDT
I would tell him to start putting in for jobs ASAP!

With the exp. he has and the potential to rise above and show himself above MANY others.

like above...we all have life problems...time to put them aside.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:44:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2005 10:06:14 AM EDT by SheepDog_556]

Originally Posted By Garand_Shooter:
Worst comes to worst, if he needs a few years to let things settle to be considered, the enlistment age has been raised to 39 now, a 2 year enlistment would get him some excitment and probably look good on the resume.... plus the "veterans preferance" that comes about.

Something to think about......

He already gets the 5 pref pts for being a vet. USMC...0311 I believe, if that's their rifle-toter job-code.

I suspect Uncle Sugar would take him back in a heart beat.

Originally Posted By Ocorvo:

A) Agencies here are hurting for people bad...you should see what they are considering (I heard a rumor that Phoenix was now allowing applicants who've used meth....might be BS, but it wouldn't surprise me).

Trust me brother, I know. I work for one of the "big ones" out here.

B) How many cops do we know that have gone through the same thing? Twice?? Working on their third???

I know guys with 5 divorces. Hell, we just hired a dude that had a DUI five years ago, but he went into the Green Machine and came out a changed man. Back when I started, a DUI with in TEN years would have got you booted off the list at CPD, unless you were the son of an alderman, or as they say in the NYPD, you had a 'hook'..

Tell him to pack up and move. We could use him.

CRNUMBER: Hey....I caught my share of days. More than my share. 21 total + 4 suits down at 26th and Cal. I would have had more than 21 days but a 30 day hitch I caught got reduced to 5 after some wranglin'. I started at Pullman, he started at Wentworth. He moved cause he was bored, I moved cause I was tired of getting fucking shot at. In case anyone I know is reading this and has figured out who I am...keep your damn yap shut, I got it good now.

Alright guys. I appreciate the advice. TPD is starting up testing in Dec. PPD is always putting dudes on...ditto with MCSO. I'm going to light a fire under his ass and get him testing again.

Worse comes to worse, I'll tell him to go LAPD. I hear they will put you on if you can walk straight and chew gum these days.

Sheep
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:11:41 AM EDT
If he wants to relocate to the washington DC area, (Maryland) I'll talk to him. We view the totality of the circumstances. If he had stellar credit before the "big D", and has good credit since, he should be ok. As long as there was no DOMVI issues, and there is supporting documentation, it doesn't sound like a problem.
We can always use experienced city coppers.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:24:24 PM EDT
Sheepdog556, I started in Pullman too, then Englewood, now the west side, haven't been shot at since I left Englewood though, big difference from the south side,glad to hear you like where you are, no I don't think I know you but wouldn't say if I did. I bet you're the only one here that knows what a CR number is, you got some guts to move after so much time here, hope it carried over.God bless you brother.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:24:40 AM EDT
Shouldn't be too big a problem. When I got hired, the wife and I were having some VERY bad financial trouble, as in having a car repossesed and a pending lawsuit for a loan. It wasn't entirely our fault, the wife ended up getting pregnant and had a VERY bad time and had to quit her job or miscarry. That hurt us REAL bad! When I got hired, I got looked at with a fine-tooth comb, closer than a lot of others, but I was completely honest with the interviewers and told them what happened. A year after getting hired, all our debts were either paid off or current because of the massive pay-raise the job entailed. They keep checking occasionally to make sure I wasn't lying about the reasons for our troubles, too. Bottom line, tell your bud to give it a try. The worst they can say is no and he's no worse off than he was.

Bub
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:08:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2005 9:08:58 PM EDT by SgtWhiting]
If he could take and pass the P.O.S.T certification here in California, then I would give him a background package to complete right away. I'm looking for 2-3 officers right now. Based on what you told us, if it proves to be true, I would not DQ him at all.

Seriously.
Top Top