Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 8/1/2002 10:38:03 PM EST
I'm at work and was changing from my tennis shoes to my work shoes, and I caught the edge of my nail on my big toe on the bench. It ripped it right off. It doesn't hurt, but it screams in pain when I touch it. I can't put on socks or shoes. I can't even put a bandage on it. In a few hours, I've got to walk about six miles home. I don't have enough cash for a cab. Any suggestions? I've never damaged a nail like this, so I have no clue what to do. Any hints on how to bandage it and protect it? (rant) This couldn't have come at a worse time. Saturday I'm in a wedding so I'll be standing for hours then and also tonight during the rehearsal. Also, Sunday I leave to drive 1,600 miles roundtrip for work in an un-air conditioned straight drive pick-up. Any suggestions for improving those situations? Those rental shoes are going to hurt. I just checked webmd and it said it could be 18 months before a toenail grows back completely. I'm in my 70's, so it will probably take even longer.[>(] It said to put your toe in salt water 2 to 3 times a day. I just tried that, and I screamed. Thanks in advance for [i]any[/i] help. At times like this, I'm glad I've got help.z
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:40:19 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:42:29 PM EST
You have my sympathies. Sounds like you should see your doctor. The only thing I can think of, is to cut the tops off an old pair of shoes.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:43:52 PM EST
the pain will subside, soon, don't touch it though, if you can try and put tape around it, but cover it with soemthign HARD so keep the tape from pressing down. As soon as you get a chance buy soem of that anti infection spray (it has a numbing agent in it, like novocaine but milder) It will get better, I ripped mine off a couple months ago, so I understand what you are going through [:D]
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 12:03:15 AM EST
Thanks for the replies. DoubleFeed, cowboy boots? Are you insane? Imagine trying to put them on. Ouch! Ripping the top off of a shoe is a good idea. I just cut the toe out of one of my tennis shoes. They're my best pair of shoes so I hated doing it, but I didn't have any other shoes here at work besides my expensive uniform shoes. I'm having to wear them without a sock on one foot. I know many younger guys normally wear shoes without socks, but it feels very strange to me. I'm headed home now. I can't put it off any longer since I've got to give my wife a shot at 6 AM. I'll be back here at work in five hours, but fortunately, I'm [i]going[/i] to find a ride. There's no way I'm walking again. I'm dreading this. Wish me luck.z
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 12:15:10 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 12:17:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/2/2002 12:18:08 AM EST by DoubleFeed]
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 3:50:09 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 3:54:00 AM EST
Kinda late to help you, but go to the nearest drug store and buy a tube of neosporin WITH PAIN MEDICATION and a small roll of gauze. Put the neosporin on, wait about 30 minutes, then wrap the rascal, but not too tight. Sorry, but seeing as I'm not an MD, that's the best I can help you with... Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 12:07:33 PM EST
Again, thanks for the replies. I made it home fine. Walking with a limp hurt me worse than the toe did. My left foot is rubbed raw from not wearing socks, and my legs are very sore. Funny how the limp hurt me worse than the missing toenail.
anti infection spray (it has a numbing agent in it, like novocaine but milder)
View Quote
I found something like that here at work that's made for burns. Close enough for me. I tried the Neosporin, but it's so thick that it hurts to spread. I'll try it again in a few days. The toe doesn't hurt nearly as much as I thought it would, but I'm still dreading wearing rental shoes tomorrow. I haven't quite figured-out what to do about bandages, but I guess I'll figure something out.z
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 12:47:11 PM EST
Zoom, Done it once to each big to back in high school. Stubbed the left one on a cofee table hard enough to pop it off, the right one got wedged under the bleachers during gym and got ripped off. You'll find standing hurts the least soon. The top of your toe will be as far as it ever gets from touching the shoes. The pain will go away very soon. My only real advice is that if you just let it progress naturally it WILL become ingrown. The little built in guides along the edge of your toenails will loose some definition and as the nail grows back it will hook toward the next toe. In doing so it will try to cut it's own path. This probably has to do with the presure applied to the side of the toe by your shoes. My left toe is mostly normal. Home ingrown toenail removal with pliers and a trimmer sucks. Now it grows right and I have no problems. My right big toe still doesn't grow right after over 12 years. It requires periodic re-allignment. My advice would be talk to a foot doctor. Unless you like having monthly toe maintenance. The good news is that it will stop hurting soon and just feel strange.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 1:31:05 PM EST
Super Glue and Electrical Tape with a non-stick gauze pad. Squirt glue under nail. Put pad on top. Wrap firmly with e-tape. Not too tight. Scream! Drink something (shot o whiskey). Sometimes a topical anesthetic will help. Try Dermaplast. If you go to a doc they will try to make it so the nail will not grow back. It will hurt for years after that. I have ripped mine off every two or so years for the past 37...I guess I just like pain or something.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 1:51:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/2/2002 1:58:57 PM EST by ChrisLe]
Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1: Zoom, you might try e-mailing AFARR for advice. He is a third year Podiatry student and can offer helpful advice. I know he told someone else to use anti-fungal medication as the nail bed is susceptible to a fungal infection during the many months it takes to grow a nail back. Perhaps you already had nail fungous? If so, perhaps now you can treat it. I have never heard of a nail being torn off like this. Good luck. I don't envy you. [BD]
View Quote
Beekeeper, You are absolutely correct. An antibacterial cream should be used on the nailbed. Specifically, bacitracin should be used. Aside from suseptibility to infection, there shouldn't be anything more to worry about. Try not to touch or disturb the nailbed. The nail should grow back without a problem. Oops, edited to include that this is assuming that the entire nail was taken off. If any part of the nail still remains, you should see a physician to have it all removed.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 2:00:07 PM EST
Funny I should check in now. It'll be 9-12 months for a full nail regrowth, assuming you did not damage the nail "root". You will get some funny looking nail starting to grow from where it ripped off, but the majority grows from behind where the cuticle does. The major concern right now is infection--that raw tissue is prone to bacteria, and the bone is right under it (bad news to get bacterial infection in the bone). What I would do if it happened to me (as a student, I cannot give you medical advice for legal reasons [:)] ) is keep the area clean with some sterile saline rinsing it off for a couple of minutes. Soak it in warm water 2 times a day for a couple of days (would help me with the inflammation if it's really red and sore--otherwise it's not too much of a problem). OTC Neosporine would help--it is a petrolatum base product, so I would probably put it in a cup of warm (NOT HOT!!!) water to let it soften before I put it on. Then I would cover it with a small piece of adaptic (parafin coated gauze that doesn't stick), put a folded up 3 x 3 or 4 x 4 gauze over it, put some surgical tape on it to hold it down and not worry about it. OTC pain meds that I normally take will probably take care of the pain (assuming I don't have liver problems, in which case I can't take Tylenol, or kidney or GI problems, in which case I cannot take Ibuprofen or other NSAIDS). Topical stuff with Benzocaine or Lidocaine might help a little bit After a week, I'd just keep it clean and dry and forget about it unless it started to look infected. If I stared to develop a fever, it looked like it had pus on it, or it gets much redder or more sore than when it first happened, I'd go straight to a doctor. That's what I'd do if it was me [:D]. AFARR
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 2:09:28 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 2:14:45 PM EST
Adventures in toe smashing... [url]http://www.redrat.net/thoughts/toe_print-2.jpg[/url]
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 2:37:00 PM EST
Geez Noname, I'll never click on another link right after dinner again!
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 2:39:52 PM EST
hehehe...
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:00:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/2/2002 5:02:09 PM EST by prk]
I've been told that the warmest brine you can stand will help toughen skin up. I haven't noticed it working, myself. AFARR, if there's a fungus, can you tell by discoloration? Zoom: Worker's Comp should pay the medical bills. To heck with the flames. Hope you can get a bike. Save that cut-out shoe, you're gonna need it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 6:12:37 PM EST
Two words, Super Glue. If that don't work three more, cut it off (the toe).
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 9:19:58 PM EST
AFARR, thanks for the narrative of what you would do if you found yourself in this situation. I owe you. prk, the worker's comp idea is a good one. I'll have to think about that. Seeing that I'm busy tomorrow from 8 AM (wedding pictures) until after 5 PM (reception) and leaving town on Sunday, I don't know what I'll be able to do about it. Except when the Army made me, I haven't been to a doctor since I was 13. That was over 60 years ago. If I mentioned to my wife I was thinking about seeing a doctor, I think she'd assume I was dying. It doesn't hurt nearly as bad as I thought it would. Of course, tomorrow this time after wearing rental shoes for hours, I might feel differently. Again thanks. I probably won't be back on until Wednesday night, so I'm going to miss you guys.z
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 9:45:37 PM EST
Zoom, how was the wedding and how are you and your foot doing?
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 10:03:12 PM EST
Top Top