Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2004 6:38:19 AM EDT
Me and my g/f have been together for a while about a year and half .

We have been talking about getting a new T.V.  Right now I have a 36 inch tube tv ( non HD Jvc)  Not the best brand but has served me well over the last 2 years.

I play tons of video games and have a Tivo and top of the line Dvd player  
So the Tv gets a lot of use .

She said we should go buy a New Tv and apply for credit and pay it off within 6 months with no service charge/finance charge.

Now I know we would pay it off but I am kind of uneasy about buying a tv on credit .
I would put it under my name but  but I dont have good credit  Should I tell her okay lets do it or just save the money ?

Guess I should add it would be around 1K to 1500 ,
and looking for something withing 45-55 inches

Oh yeah and is it safe to play video games on big screens now a days?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:40:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Save the money...it's just a TV.  In two months who knows what bills will come up.

Sgtar15

PS  And marry the damn girl if you are going to live with her.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:40:46 AM EDT
[#2]
You owe over 100K and you want to buy a TV on credit?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:46:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Me and my g/f have been together for a while about a year and half .

We have been talking about getting a new T.V.  Right now I have a 36 inch tube tv ( non HD Jvc)  Not the best brand but has served me well over the last 2 years.

I play tons of video games and have a Tivo and top of the line Dvd player  
So the Tv gets a lot of use .

She said we should go buy a New Tv and apply for credit and pay it off within 6 months with no service charge/finance charge.

Now I know we would pay it off but I am kind of uneasy about buying a tv on credit .
I would put it under my name but  but I dont have good credit  Should I tell her okay lets do it or just save the money ?

Playing video games on big screens depends on the picture tube itself (If I remember what the guy said right)
Some are ok, some are not.
I vote for save the money... then go buy the tv.. if you can pay it off in 6 mths, save the money, then in 6 mths you can go buy one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:47:06 AM EDT
[#4]
G/f wants the Tv just as bad as me I just told her I would pay half . If we were to split up she would make a deal with me to purchase her half .

So yeah bad credit on me and all, we want to get a new tv

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:49:11 AM EDT
[#5]
only buy it if you have the $ in the bank already- whether or not you ue their credit is up to you.  but DO NOT use that $ for anything else either- jsut interest
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:49:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Buy it with cash.....if you cant touch the cash to buy it in one shot, that means that you cant afford it. Credit cards will fuck you every time. If the idea of parting with a handfull of $100 bills is more than you can justify, there is your answer.

Never charge what you dont already have the cash for......and also think about what Sarge says...what happens when the car breaks down next month, or the boiler shits the bed.

Its just a TV
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:52:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Do this, take an envelope and put the expected payment in it every month. In six months go buy the TV. If something comes up emergency wise, you'll still have the cash to cover it and in 6 months you'll get a later & greater model or the current model at a lower price. Also, have family give you gift cards at Xmas for the electronics store where expect to make your purchase.

Credit is a bad thing if you don't have the cash assets to cover it. Never spend more on credit (except for a mortgage and basic transportation) than you have cash assets to cover. If you rent, insure your high dollar assets with renter's ins.

I suspect that you are in the way of 20 y.o., a bad credit bump can ruin you for life when it comes to getting a mortgage in the future. Can also mess up your job prospects as many employeers run a credit check on their applicants.

--C
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:55:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Never ever buy ANY depreciable asset on credit!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:57:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Save the money...it's just a TV.  In two months who knows what bills will come up.

Sgtar15

PS  And marry the damn girl if you are going to live with her.

+1.

My sister and her husband bought a $3000 TV. It's cool, but.......
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:19:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Ok...first shot, I've been playing video games on a big screen since 1992. I'm still on the same big screen, with zero burn in. If you just play normaly, and don't leave it paused with the TV on for several days you'll be ok.

Second off....take a step back, and kindly ask a close friend or your g/f to deliver a dropkick to your head. RFN. If you have bad credit, then it generally stands to reason that you shouldn't be looking for MORE credit. You'd just give yourself (and her) another big chance to fuck it up even more. I was almost exactly in the same position, and I got my credit to the point where it was in the range of the upper 480s (which, if you didn't know....is HORRIBLE). I'll give you a hint.....getting more credit did NOT solve the situation.

You would be much better served by dealing with your 'smaller' TV, getting a full credit report (myfico.com), identifying the negatives on it and the habits that led to them, and changing them. Trust me, it will be a MUCH bigger benefit in the long run.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:22:28 AM EDT
[#11]
file bankrupcy..that way we ALL can buy your TV!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top