Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2003 10:16:31 AM EDT
Now, some of you know I live on the Oregon coast. There's NO place to get good chicken. I have had GOOD BATTER DIPPED Southern fried chicken. I don't know how to make it. I know some here are outstanding cooks in your own right, or have wives/girlfriends/mothers/sisters, who have good recipies. Would you mind posting them for me? Do I have to "deep fry" it to get it right? What's the best batter? Dip in egg?

Thanks guys..[:D]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#1]
My wife is in bed with a headache, but when she gets up I'll have her post a good recipe for you. She's a "grommet" cook, & knows her stuff, in the kitchen, amongst other rooms of the house.[naughty] Say no more, nudge, nudge, no what I mean?[naughty]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#2]
A good batter dip (even onion ring mix will work) will probably work better for you than the dip in milk and roll in seasoned flour.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#3]
sorry, cant help you

but if you have any questions on BBQ, beans or chili let me know
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Normal Southern Fried Chicken isn't batter dipped, its often soaked in buttermilk then rolled in seasoned flour (though batter dipped doesn't sound bad), if you want it fast food style (very crispy & such) you need to deep fry it. Most home made chicken around here is pan fried, kinda like KFC original recipe.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#5]
My mouth is watering... Today is fried chicken day in the south, (Sunday). I'll bet someone sees this, and the smell of fried chicken is in the air as they read this!!
Oh....yummy.......   :>(
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Things your need:

Big cast iron frying pan, or an electric skillet.

3 bowls or other containers

a chopped up chicken

some flour (and maybe some cornstarch)

some buttermilk

a couple of eggs

seasonings

oil (peanut is good, use whatever if you are allergic)

-------------

put pan on stove, or plug it in, fill it with about 1/2 inch of oil, get it hot.

take chicken lightly, very lightly, coat it with flour or corn starch (bowl/container 1). - can lightly season this step if your want - I do

then take chicken and dunk it in a buttermilk/egg mixture - you can season this if you want- I do tobasco or LA hot sauce- (bowl/container 2), lightly coat it, you are just giving something for the next step to stick too

then dip your slimy chicken in the flour you have seasoned the way you like it - I use b pepper, cayene, the proverbial 7 herbs and seasonings, (bowl/container 3)

then cook the chicken in the oil (the oil needs to cover at least halfway up the chicken) flip it after a few minutes, cook til golden brown.

If you have to cook in multiple batches put the previously cooked chicken on a wire rack on a cookie sheet in a 200ish degree oven, to keep it warm.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:58:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Best fried chicken i have ever had, since Lubey's sucks now, was DOWN HOME BAKERY!  I'll have to thank ETH for introducing me to that place.  Unfortunatly its only 8 hours from my house.  thats without a bathroom stop.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's a tip, use boneless skinless breasts. My mother gave me this recipe years ago.

Feeds four

4 breast fillets
3 eggs beaten
3 cups of flour
2 tablespoons coarse ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder (not garlic salt)
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 teaspoon basil

Pour vegetable oil into an electric skillet about 3/8 inch deep and preheat to 350 degrees

Combine flour,black pepper,red pepper,garlic and basil. Mix thoroughly and set aside.

Rinse chicken
Dip a piece of the chicken into the egg
Place chicken into the flour mixture, coating both sides
Redip into the egg and reflour the fillet(this makes for a better breading)
Place the fillet into the skillet
Repeat until all four fillets are in the skillet

Cover and cook for approx 3-4 minutes
Turn the fillets with a fork and cook until done.

There is never any leftovers when I cook this.
Mmmm.

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#9]
my mom used to use corn flakes. i don't know exactly how she did it, other than smash them into smaller pieces then roll the chicken in it. yummmmm.......

mental note:call mom tonight and get recipe
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#10]
If you get into Portland and your want gourmet Southern food (almost sounds like an oxymoron [;)] ) head over to Bernie's on Alberta (NE 30ish) for the best Southern food in town. Their Fried Chicken is a big boneless breast with mashed taters and gravy. Drooling just thinking about it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:37:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's a tip, use boneless skinless breasts.
View Quote

Damn Yankee. It says Southern Fried Chicken!
Ain't no boneless skinless breasts.
[stick]
View Quote

I was raised in Boston area, but I know better than that!! I will try it WITH the skin though!!
Thanks fellas, I'm kinda hopin some of the Texas crowd weighs in!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:32:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks TJ, I'm not famalier with "self-rising" flour, but I'm sure the market has it. The best I've had, always appeared to be "deep fried", (Totally submerged, or floating in oil). I recall several resturaunts had good chicken...
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My wife is in bed with a headache, but when she gets up I'll have her post a good recipe for you. She's a "grommet" cook, & knows her stuff, in the kitchen, amongst other rooms of the house.[naughty] Say no more, nudge, nudge, no what I mean?[naughty]
View Quote

The sewing room????
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:19:19 PM EDT
[#17]
If you have a deep fryer like a Fry Daddy - use it.  It will be easier.  This is the way it's done in restaurants.
However, if you cook on the stove (homestyle) use a big deep skillet - preferably cast iron that is ALREADY seasoned.  If you don't know what this means don't use use cast iron.

The recipe suggestions already posted will result in decent chicken, so I can't really add much there.  However, if you use egg and/or milk in your coating batter it will tend to give your fried chicken a "thicker" coating once fried.  If you just roll the chicken in flour it will come out "flatter."  There is nothing wrong with either method and some folks have prefences based on what they were raised with.

You should try several different ways and season to your taste.  Cooking is fun!

One last suggestion - cover your counter/stove top with sheets of tin (aka aluminum) foil before you start.  It will make the cleanup much easier.  Just ball up the foil and through away.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#19]
actually 'self-rising' flour doesnt have yeast added.  It has salt and baking powder added.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Will probably take 10 years off your life but some of the best fried bird I ever had was a girlfriend who batter dipped it and pan fried it in butter.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#22]
oh yeah, I recomend the 'dry-wet-dry' method for two main reasons:

It builds up a little thicker 'crust' (compared to a 'shake in a bag' method), which I like, but does not give the 'batter' effect of coating everything thickly.

And in cooking and using coatings, dry sticks to wet, and wet sticks to dry.  If you take the chicken (or even fish, if you are gonna fry some fish) it is a 'wet' so you give it a base coat of a 'dry' (flour, or corn starch, depending on preference), to give the 'wet' (either your batter, or your milk/egg wash) a better 'grasp' upon the chicken/fish.  You can then add another layer of dry if your wish (can be flour for chicken, or corn meal, or bread crumbs, or whatever).  

the other reason I use the 'dry-wet-dry' method is to layer in seasonings.  The more layers of seasonings the better stuff tastes.

One more thing, try various methods til you find your own favorite.  Heck even get some real lard and use it to fry the chicken, that makes damn good stuff.

edit- to TJ, nope, pan fry it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:51:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#24]
For my time/money, you can't beat Popeyes spicy chicken. Their biscuits kick ass too. Too bad they don't have sweet tea, but that's a whole 'nuther thread.

BTW - isn't Bisquick self-rising flour?

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:21:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
[stick]
View Quote

[LOLabove]

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's a tip, use boneless skinless breasts.
View Quote

[stick]
View Quote

I was raised in Boston area, but I know better than that!! I will try it WITH the skin though!!
Thanks fellas, I'm kinda hopin some of the Texas crowd weighs in!!
View Quote

Ok.....Go to KFC [:)]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:53:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks MrsGloftoe, and everyone else. I have a better idea of how to make it. I'll try it. Maybe take some pics.. Thanks again!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:43:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Some of the guys have it OK, but yes, ALL PURPOSE, not self rising flour.  If you try it with self rising, you will have a mess.

And Yes, it IS deep fried.  The farther north, the less deep the oil.  A good vegetable oil, cotton seed oil, or peanut oil is fine.

I first dip the chicken parts in a mix of eggs and milk, well beaten.  One large chicken, about 3 eggs and a cup of milk.

Then I roll the chicken parts in seasoned flour.

The grease needs to be about 375 F before dropping in the chicken.  Use a cooking thermometer if in doubt.  You can do pork chops the same way.

You can do the same when frying fish, shrimp, oysters, scallops.  Hint:  With seafood, if it floats, it's done--scoop it up.  Do not fry to a deep golden brown, or seafood will be dried out.

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#32]
What MrsGloftoe said except I've made it deep fried and pan fried and I think the deep fried is easier, faster and tastes better.  

The only thing I would add is make sure the chicken pieces are not too big and the chicken is at room temperature.  

Lard is best but peanut oil is good too. If your chicken is greasy your oil wasn't hot enough or the chicken was too cold. Don't lower the temp (375 F) of the oil too much by putting in too many pieces at once.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#33]
This is my mom's recipe for oven-fried chicken - WARNING! It can make a mess of your oven!

Preheat the oven to 425-450º

Wash all the chicken parts (breasts, legs, thighs, wings) and blot with paper towels (you want them damp, not dripping wet.)  

Place a stick of butter (1/4 lb) in a LARGE pyrex baking dish, put it in the oven to melt.  (Keep an eye on it, it melts fast.)

There are various ways to put the breading on, but the best (least messy) way we've found is a 1 gallon Ziploc bag (technology, what a wonderful thing!)  We used to use paper plates, but that will often end up with quite a bit of flour on your countertops.

Put about 2 cups of flour in the bag.  Add salt, pepper, and other dry spices to your taste.  Toss the chicken pieces in the flour mixture until they are lightly coated.  Do all the pieces.

Take the pyrex baking dish with the now melted butter out of the oven.  Dredge the chicken through the melted butter, then back into the flour mixture, give it a good shake, and place the now coated chicken into the baking dish with the leftover butter - one layer, no stacking.  Put the dish into the oven and cook, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes.

Makes damned good chicken, and the only thing you've got to clean up is the baking dish (and maybe the oven.)  This makes the [i]least[/i] amount of mess if the chicken pretty much covers the entire bottom of the dish.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:07:55 PM EDT
[#34]
OK,you want fried chicken?This is the best you will ever eat.
Cut up 1 or 2 small fryer's.Soak for @15 or 20 min's in salty water(I use 1/2 cup+ of koser salt and cover chicken with water)drain,then add @3tbls of Don Prudhommes Poultry Magic.Cover and put in fridge 8 to 24 hrs.Heat @ 3/4 in veg oil in a cast iron skillet over med heat (5-7).Add @two cups flour,salt, pepper to a large plastic bag.Add 4 or 5 pices chicken and shake well.shake excess flour off chicken and place in hot oil.Fry to light brown,turn and turn again.(cook each side two times).Remove and drain well,keep in a warm@170 oven.When you are through with the chicken,drain all but @two tbls of oil from pan.Add two tbls flour and stir and scrape pan with a wisk.Add 1 cup chicken broth or boullon,stir well add a little milk,reduce heat and bring to a low boil.
Enjoy!    
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 1:12:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Umm, I aint no yankee. I was born and raised in central Va. Southern to the bone and a  Confederate reenactor too.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 4:28:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:08:56 AM EDT
[#38]
use Crisco ( white solid stuff) it doesent smell up the house. And soak in buttermilk overnight.  Butter will not likley work for frying a cut up chicken because of its low smoke point.  keep oil at around 325 ish.  Shake off as much batter or flour as you can before you put it in the oil.  Season the chicken first then roll in flour- saves spices this way.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:23:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Allright, the best fried chicken in the universe

I learned it from a depression era southern gal.

get your chicken, wash it and cut the fat (if thats your thing, I leave some but cut off the huge chunks of it)

Take an egg, beat it (the egg that is) like you are making scrambled egg.

take a bunch of flour (i always use too much but its flour its cheap, and mix in salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic salt, onion powder, just whatever you like) until its salt and peppery (not white like flour)
dredge the chicken in the egg, and then the lfour and set them all aside until you are ready to cook.

put about and inch and a half of oil (veggie oil unless you are elvis, bacon greases makes for good chicken)

fry them on one side as hot as you can get it until they are golden (usually ten minutes)

turn and repeat, then just wait for a good cooked golden color all over.

let cool (seriously)
and enjoy

or do little chicken wings and put lousiana on it and instant hot things.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#41]
I haven't seen this for an ingredient. Here in Oklahoma and the south, the best seasoning is Lawry's Seasoning Salt. My mom and grandmother are from eastern Arkansas and that is what they always use. I use it now and it is the best. JMHO.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:52:50 AM EDT
[#42]
TJ. The recipe you posted is the one my grandmother and mother use. I would walk through fire to eat my moms fried chicken.

Tonight, I am going to try the recipe that MrsGloftoe posted. It looks SO good. [b]Thanks for posting it MRsG.[/b]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Hint:  Soak the chicken in salt water over night... yum
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top